+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gardening thread.....

I'm Grant.

Very nice mate. and well done to Del for all the hard work. A nice singleton red valarian in the rosemary too.. lots of cucs and toms; were they beef toms i saw or are they a heratige wild variety.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cheers, mate. She's been working her little socks off! She loves 'playing', as she calls it, in HER (note it's hers, not ours, lol) garden!

The toms in question are Black Russian: https://marshallsgarden.com/products...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are quite a few types in there, including San Marzano, for making pasta sauce, but they've been a bit later in developing, as they were planted later.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

For those interested, info now updated on produce that was unknown to me, so scroll back to see

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

A Clematis in our backyard/al fresco dining area, which flowered last month, so unfortunately not much colour:

Some more of our herbs... Orange thyme:

Broadleaf thyme:

Doone Valley Thyme:

'Country Cream' oregano:

Hot & Spicy oregano:

Oh, and a cat....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's a very nice space, Guy (with the pergola), and almost continental!

I could spend a long time just sitting there and enjoying the surroundings, sipping a nice red or glass of fizz (beer, too), which I'm sure (Fiss? Spelling, sorry) and you do, as well as enjoying some nice meals.

For me, a home's not a home without an attractive and functional outdoor space - and somewhere to chill and 'escape' to when life becomes hectic, or rather difficult, as it did during the lockdowns with Covid. I just couldn't do with always being cooped up inside.

I'd have gone cuckoo/doolally if I'd been 'imprisoned' in a flat for all that time!!

So what are your plans for the vines - producing some Chateau de Guy [pronounced 'ghee'] Blanc, Grand Cuvée?

Marco.
    Cheers Marco. "Fliss" is correct - actual name Felicity (one of my mates tried "Flic" years ago, they only did that once ).

In my opinion, you are spot on about the garden being an important part of the home. We also felt for people living in flats during the lockdowns, particularly if they have children.
    The last year or two the garden has been a very enjoyable refuge for me.
    We helped our eldest with her recent house purchase as I wanted any grandchildren to have a garden where they could play in safety (there goes my bolt hole in Normandy for the moment )

We have two pergolas, the slightly larger for eating out/entertaining where possible (We have a "Kadai" https://www.kadai.co.uk for cooking or just sitting around in the evening), the smaller is a sun trap. I made them both with timber from a local woodyard about fifteen to twenty years ago, I was so pleased with the smaller one that I made the second. Very proud of them, it is surprising how having an open framework "defines the space" and makes sitting outside more desirable

photo taken just now (weather very pleasant; just as I was taking shot, Fliss was coming out to have a coffee and lemon drizzle cake but didn't want to be "in shot")

The lavender just cost me £240, indirectly, as puppy was stung on her lip by one of the bees that she was bothering hopefully she will learn from it.

I tried making some red wine with last years crop, but it turned out very thin and not very drinkable - ended up pouring twelve bottles down the drain. It makes more sense just to enjoy seeing the grapes and eating them, despite the large pip to flesh ratio, at least being outside I can just spit out the pips
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm guy.

By the way Marco - very impressed with your fruit and veg lots of work involved there, but the payback in terms of both mental wellbeing and taste of homegrown fruit and veg definitely worth it.

I must admit to being slightly envious of your success with the cucumber and tomatoes - mine have been hit by blackly this year and survival very touch and go, in fact I think that I will be taking the tomato plants to the "brown bin" this evening
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

once blackfly have a grip of plant its doomed alas. you gotta get em early.. chives are a good plant to deter them. think nasturshiums are good as well although not tried them. best to burn them
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Cheers Marco. "Fliss" is correct - actual name Felicity (one of my mates tried "Flic" years ago, they only did that once ).
    Hahaha... Some folk presume that my wife, who's known as 'Del' (sort of short for her name of Dolores), but it really means 'little pretty' in Welsh, as she's half welsh, and so they think of 'Del Boy', in Only Fools & Horses, and therefore presume she's some sort of tomboy, lol!

Then when they meet her, they discover something a little different

In my opinion, you are spot on about the garden being an important part of the home. We also felt for people living in flats during the lockdowns, particularly if they have children.
    The last year or two the garden has been a very enjoyable refuge for me.
    We helped our eldest with her recent house purchase as I wanted any grandchildren to have a garden where they could play in safety (there goes my bolt hole in Normandy for the moment )
    Good stuff on the last one - what life's all about, mate.

In terms of the former, I of course completely agree. I doubt I'd have survived with my mental health still intact if I'd lived in a flat during the lockdowns, as I'm just so used to having a private outdoor space to enjoy, not only with Del, but numerous friends and family, so to be forced into a 'glorified cell' like that would simply be unbearable.

We have two pergolas, the slightly larger for eating out/entertaining where possible (We have a "Kadai" https://www.kadai.co.uk for cooking or just sitting around in the evening), the smaller is a sun trap. I made them both with timber from a local woodyard about fifteen to twenty years ago, I was so pleased with the smaller one that I made the second. Very proud of them, it is surprising how having an open framework "defines the space" and makes sitting outside more desirable
    Yup, very nice indeed. Top work!;

It's the 'small details', which personalise it for you and maximise enjoyment of the space, and that truly makes a garden.

photo taken just now (weather very pleasant; just as I was taking shot, Fliss was coming out to have a coffee and lemon drizzle cake but didn't want to be "in shot")
    Sounds very civilised! I applaud that

The lavender just cost me £240, indirectly, as puppy was stung on her lip by one of the bees that she was bothering hopefully she will learn from it.
    Indeed, and it looks very nice.

I tried making some red wine with last years crop, but it turned out very thin and not very drinkable - ended up pouring twelve bottles down the drain. It makes more sense just to enjoy seeing the grapes and eating them, despite the large pip to flesh ratio, at least being outside I can just spit out the pips
    Lol - I'm not surprised with red wine, which is virtually impossible to make to any decent level in the UK. If you have a warm enough climate, then quality white wine and 'English sparkling wine', using the same grapes for producing Champagne (although it can't be called such) is certainly possible.

However, to do it properly takes considerable knowledge, experience and effort! If it works though, the rewards can be superb!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    By the way Marco - very impressed with your fruit and veg lots of work involved there, but the payback in terms of both mental wellbeing and taste of homegrown fruit and veg definitely worth it.
    Cheers, however I can take little credit for it, as the princess did it all! Including making little 'frames', tied together out of sticks, for produce to cling to and group up, which you'll notice in the pics if you look closely. All I did was help her lug some heavy stuff around (as she's only little), and I water everything.

I must admit to being slightly envious of your success with the cucumber and tomatoes - mine have been hit by blackly this year and survival very touch and go, in fact I think that I will be taking the tomato plants to the "brown bin" this evening
    That's shame... Erect some polytunnels - they've made all the difference here, as they control the temperature of the environment very well, and you can get them as big or bigger than any greenhouse!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

having my front hedges and bushes chopped.. let some light in again. already its nice and bright again.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast