+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AD Audio Jfet MC amplifier

I'm Adam.

Post AD Audio Jfet MC amplifier

I am pretty happy with my Analogue set up, very happy in fact. Attached to My Satchmo Pre's Phono stage is my Hashimoto HM-7 Step up
    (kindly acquired from Tom of this Parish and boxed and fettled by Amp Regen), it is without any doubt a fabulous box
    offering much of what i'd wished my Vinyl front end would one day deliver. It really is very good.

Anyway, David Coe of AD Audio (also of this parish) called me and asked if i'd be willing to put the mighty Japanese Step Up against
    his very modestly priced (currently around £170..ish) AD Audio Jfet MC amplifier.
    I, of course, said yes, if he was willing to brave the London traffic and drive from Wimbledon to Barnet, no mean feat! a drive that could actually take 3 weeks should one get the timing wrong, although only 22 miles door to door..

Well Mr Coe pitched up last evening with a very plain box of tricks and Mrs Westlower provided a great homemade fish curry (bloody amazing)
    Whilst we were eating we fired up the Valves and let it all warm ..

And so, let the battle commence!

Playing my newly acquired Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard (UltraDisc one step pressing) ... Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab the Hashimotos delivered it fantastically well.
    The music flowed with real body, micro detail and pace. Bill In the room and all that!

I switched boxes, Jfet into the Satchmo pre and sat back. I must firstly say I had a preconceived outcome already (stupid).

Well, first impressions, and they are first impressions, WOW, WOW, WOW!! This little light-weight, battery powered box came out swinging and punching!!
    It delivered the music with such flow, great dynamics and musicality.
    It drove the Dynavector DVXX2MK2 with real pace, authority and feeling. An understatement to say, I was very impressed indeed.

Does it stand up equally to the Hashimoto on this cartridge?, maybe not... but on initial impressions I wouldn't say there is an awful lot in it, in fact not a lot at all
    and we are talking about a serious Step Up in the Hashimoto HM-7

I do know one thing from my first half evening with it...It's a complete hifi bargain. £170 ish quid!!
    A Stonewall no brainer for anyone needing to get a lot out of a MC cart, even if your budget is 10x the price, I'm serious.

Further impressions to follow. Give it a spin, you will not regret it.

BTW the Bill Evans? Sell your Granny or the kids to get one. Fuck, it's off the scale!

https://adaudioconsultants.wordpress...-up-amplifier/
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Retief.

Hi, I noticed the Bill Evans on MOFI sells for around £250 which is bonkers! Have you compared this pressing to others and is it really that much better? It sells on Amazon on the "Original jazz" label for £50 which is a bit more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Richie.

The head amp looks to be £250 on the link

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    The head amp looks to be £250 on the link
    I think there are variations on spec so price isn't set in stone, i believe.. (don't quote me on that!)
    Even at £250, a relative Bargain.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

I picked up the MOFI Bill Evans for £110 (through a dealer mate who has a direct link to the distributor) which although a lot, I believe is worth it, the OJC and the Jap reissues are not comparible I'm afraid!
    Personally I wouldn't pay £250 for it but if it meant that much to me and there was no other way...I'd seriously think
    TBF I've paid far more than £250 for original pressings of other titles in my collection, and not had them sounding anywhere near as good as the box set.
    If you pay thousands for your gear and the title you have always wanted comes up and it's the ULTIMATE pressing..then for me it's a must. Thats just my view

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    Hi, I noticed the Bill Evans on MOFI sells for around £250 which is bonkers! Have you compared this pressing to others and is it really that much better? It sells on Amazon on the "Original jazz" label for £50 which is a bit more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm David.

Default AD Audio JFET MC Amplifier

New rechargeable version now available for the same price £250, inc. batteries and charger!

+ Reply to Thread