+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your tt punch above its weight.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Sigh.. I was.. given.. an unwanted Tosh 1200 TT a couple years ago.
    Fooled with it a bit. Frankly underwhelmed by it's performance. So I took it to bits
    My discoveries: Platter was cheaply made (crap imo) Motor? Nothing to brag about.. and the Arm?
    Geez that contraption weighs close to 2 lbs!
    Yess..I still have all the bits . Albeit in a Box, simply because I have a predeliction to Hoarding
    But I remain unimpressed by the thing.
    NO idea why some revere these TT's.
    Absolutely no evidence of goodness in the design /various bits.
    Clearly, we ALL have differing goalposts.
    your coming across as a twat again!
    you should hear ians or geoff or olivers toshiba.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Sigh.. I was.. given.. an unwanted Tosh 1200 TT a couple years ago.
    Fooled with it a bit. Frankly underwhelmed by it's performance. So I took it to bits
    My discoveries: Platter was cheaply made (crap imo) Motor? Nothing to brag about.. and the Arm?
    Geez that contraption weighs close to 2 lbs!
    Yess..I still have all the bits . Albeit in a Box, simply because I have a predeliction to Hoarding
    But I remain unimpressed by the thing.
    NO idea why some revere these TT's.
    Absolutely no evidence of goodness in the design /various bits.
    Clearly, we ALL have differing goalposts.
    Its a shame you're so far away. You could have come round, had a listen, ate some humble pie and left happy 😉

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Think u landed on ur feet with the tosh
    Id say so Grant.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I haven't come to any conclusions yet but am interested in what others think about what they spent and if they think its been money well spent or could you have achieved the same sound quality for less.
    I bought my Sony PS-X65 for £100 on ebay, tbh it was rather in a poor condition. Had it thoroughly serviced for around £160 (rewired, tonearm work incl. bearings and c/w fitting, automatics, optics, lid polished, etc. etc.). End result - I sold my RP6 which I had for nearly four years. I think it was money very well spend and the sound quality surpassed Rega.

Problem is I still think about buying something else, like an LP12 (never had one) or Spacedeck (really liked the sound)...
    TT: none atm; Carts: Benz Micro Ace SL; Phono stage: Nuda dual mono
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I bought my Sony PS-X65 for £100 on ebay, tbh it was rather in a poor condition. Had it thoroughly serviced for around £160 (rewired, tonearm work incl. bearings and c/w fitting, automatics, optics, lid polished, etc. etc.). End result - I sold my RP6 which I had for nearly four years. I think it was money very well spend and the sound quality surpassed Rega.

Problem is I still think about buying something else, like an LP12 (never had one) or Spacedeck (really liked the sound)...
    I have had an LP12 since the early 90's, spent a small fortune on it and still really like it. Got a Sony PS-X600 earlier this year and am using the same cartridge as the LP12 (an AT-F7) and would struggle to distinguish between them in a listening test. At the moment I rank them in the top 3 out of my 14 decks. I could probably improve the LP12 with a Keel and Radikal but that would be an even bigger fortune.

Bigman80 Guest

The Sony's are prestige in performance but unfortunately, one always thinks there is "better" because they aren't considered as high end TT. I had a PS-X70 and to be honest I think if I had it now, rewired the arm and put the ZYX on it, it would match the Toshy/Mission combo. It was clean, authoritative and had the best stability of any Turntable ive owned. If I hadn't had it so early in my progression path, I would have appreciated it more.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It was clean, authoritative and had the best stability of any Turntable ive owned.
    Absolutely spot on. Every cartridge I fitted on Rega and Sony, I preferred the Sony presentation. I would love to buy another turntable, just out of curiousity, but Sony does its job so well that I decided I will use the Rega funds to buy me a nice amp!
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

Bigman80 Guest

Absolutely spot on. Every cartridge I fitted on Rega and Sony, I preferred the Sony presentation. I would love to buy another turntable, just out of curiousity, but Sony does its job so well that I decided I will use the Rega funds to buy me a nice amp!
    Fantastic idea. I have a few recommendations in that dept too lol

I'm Mike.

My turntable cost me £100 and my cart £80, so how could it not punch above its weight ? :lol
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Fantastic idea. I have a few recommendations in that dept too lol
    Would like to hear them, but perhaps that would derail the thread!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast