+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Naim HDX

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    Hurry up Marco i'm waiting to read about our exploits with the Helios,Sony,DAS R1 and CDS2...................................Lazy sod slouches off
    Where does the CDS2 come into it, mate?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ok, I getcha

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    My question was genuine because I don't know anything about the HDX. What I'd like to know is if 'hi-end' computer audio products, like the HDX, are worth the extra expenditure and if they offer genuinely superior performance to well-known 'mainstream' products currently on the market, or is one simply paying for a 'badge'?
    Well now, that is a very 'big' question.

I have spent the last 18 months working very closely with a company developing a digital media server/player system in the hope of reaching a personal Holy Grail - something that beats a pile of standalone boxes yet works as simply and reliably.

FYI I'm approaching this from the point of view of a Videophile as much as an Audiophile. In the course of this investigation I have looked at quite a few other solutions - MediaMax, Idyl, Kaleidoscope, Imerge, and others. So far nothing I have found quite manages to tick all the boxes.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a HDX when it launches to hear how it compares to a stand alone Naim players under £5K.

Nice one, Chris. Keep me posted of developments. I'm also interested from the perspective of a 'videophile', as the HDX *could* be the hub of my future AV/computer audio set-up, and you'll be the man installing it all

I intend to listen to one myself, and compare what it has to offer to other more 'affordable options'. I'm going to be doing a lot of research and auditioning over the next 12 months as far as this stuff is concerned to ascertain if it's worth spending serious money on something 'hi-end' or not. Nothing is out of the equation at the moment. I'm afraid the HDX, though, and products like it, is an itch I'm going to have to scratch!

Marco.
    Main System

I know that Geoff at Acoustica in Chester is looking to get into the NaimNet/HDX range this summer. Could be a good place to start evaluating.

Or perhaps at 'Adventures in Hi-fi' - the other Naim dealers in Chester? They've got marginally better dress sense than Geoff

Marco.
    Main System

Oh dear, the Geoff/Marco interface definitely needs some work.

Hehe... Indeed. I'm not quite sure I want to contribute towards the purchase of another one of his cars

How's the copper amp doing, Jimmy?

Marco.
    Main System

Jimmy?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Or perhaps at 'Adventures in Hi-fi' - the other Naim dealers in Chester? They've got marginally better dress sense than Geoff
    LOL.

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about Pinky & Perky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast