+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Volt Linear Power Supply Designs

Default 5 Volt Linear Power Supply Designs

Would like to make a linear 5v regulated supply for a Squeezebox Classic and wondered if anyone has found a low ripple regulated design that does not use standard voltage regulators like the 7810 etc?

Looking for two stage regulator types to give around 1 amp current.

Probably try a 90Va torro and 10,000uf smoothing cap to go with the regulator.

Regards

Chris

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Would like to make a linear 5v regulated supply for a Squeezebox Classic and wondered if anyone has found a low ripple regulated design that does not use standard voltage regulators like the 7810 etc?

Looking for two stage regulator types to give around 1 amp current.

Probably try a 90Va torro and 10,000uf smoothing cap to go with the regulator.

Regards

Chris
    Hi

Paul Hynes Design has some excellent regulators that will deliver 5V @ 1 amp.

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/

Best Regards,
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm Nobody.

Aye i could do with a bonza 12V Linear PSU for this media player i just bought, get rid of that shitty wall wart PSU

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Aye i could do with a bonza 12V Linear PSU for this media player i just bought, get rid of that shitty wall wart PSU
    Hi Andre

The PHD regulators will also provide a 12V output.

There are also the SR1/SR3 supplies which are ideal for the Squeezebox 3/Classic, etc.
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    get rid of that shitty wall wart PSU
    LOL! Most definately!

Are you guys into DIY? or are you looking for a finnished product?

Personally i'd build something myself. I'm quite happy to explore the design side here if people are interested?
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Rob.

http://www.teddypardo.com/

Power Regs and Teddy Regs.

Try this. More info on Pink Fish Media to build your own.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

For the sum of their parts I'd build my own, or start with a decent linear supply off eBay and adding some capable components.
    I hunted for a supply to replace my switch mode 9v job on my Squeezebox Duet and came across the £200 jobs which once you take them apart were nothing very special apart from looking shiny (and no good as mine needs 9volt and not the Classic's 5volt). As I was going to hide mine anyway I didn't see much point in 'pretty'.
    eBay gave way to a regulated Sinclair Spectrum 9volt 2amp supply. I took it to bits, IC regulated it to 9volt (it was originally throwing out nearly 12v!) and with a few easy and cheap mods, came up with a beautiful clean linear supply for about £20, a tenth of what some of these supply's cost.
    Well done to these guys for making power supply's costing them around £40 in parts (tops) and selling them for a substantial profit to those who know no better than to pay for something just cos it looks the business or someone (usually them) says they're good.

As an interesting sideline, I found a BT MCU250 power conditioner off eBay too (for my amp, not Duet!), neither up to, nor since, have I experienced such an improvement on sound. Apparently this has been a common upgrade for hifi enthusiasts for a while now?
    Steve

Life is not a trial run.

I would really like to build a ultra low ripple supply that does not rely on any switching type regulation in it.

Ian, I have been researching how to build a two stage regulator (adjustable) but keep on finding ones with the L78XX series regs in.

I was hoping to build a 5v supply and as a second project look how to remove the switching regs out of the digital part of the Squeezebox.

Regards

Chris

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I'd second the PHD based supplies, I built a supply for the Duet using his PR3 module http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3161

I've faffed about with loads of psu's/regulation for the Squeezebox's, dacs etc, for me nothing else could touch this guys stuff
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
    LOL! Most definately!

Are you guys into DIY? or are you looking for a finnished product?

Personally i'd build something myself. I'm quite happy to explore the design side here if people are interested?
    These wall wart hold so much potential back it's beggars belief.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast