+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

The old AC motors have two sintered bearings. If they have dried out then they can be oiled but they won’t be the same as before they dried out, you might get a year or two before they will need doing again. You really need to strip the motor down to lubricate it because if you oil it from the top, it could make the motor noisy, as you will be lubricating the series of washers on the top of the motor and they can then begin to vibrate. You can try using something thin like ZX1 or WD40.
    The best thing would be to send it Michell , so they can then replace the washers and circlip etc. and give it a good clean out and lubrication.
    If you are using a QC power supply with it, make sure you turn the QC off when not in use. The QC has a current path to keep the motor warm, over a long period of time this will speed up the bearings drying out. received from MIchell engineering in 2019

I'm Alan.

the Final cut...This is my Gyrodec, with the new version of Pete's pads...The cup has been shortened, so the need for an internal spacer is not required..These are really exceptional for total isolation of the deck from the feet..The inner workings of the pad, see that there is no connection between the aluminium cup and the spider. As an added bonus, these look stunning too, which was an important factor in the later design stage...The set I had previous to these, were just a bare version with a carbon fibre jacket. the half inch thread which takes the foot, was a stub machined from mild steel..This version worked very well, but the newer aluminium cup version, has the half inch threaded stub machined directly in the design of the new cup, making these units something quite special....an impressive piece of work TPA...The noise floor has been lowered even further with this unit and is another modification for the Gyrodec, that lets you here more of the music..a marvelous little piece of design and engineering..

'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Jeffrey.

Very nice!

I'm peter.

hi alan thank you for the above, i have sent some out for test and review by other people, as with the pylons i wont tell you what i think , i would only be blowing my own trumpet , i may have some more as test parts , how ever i dont know yet if that is possible the cost is quite high , for the parts due to the maching involved, By TPA , short batches cost alot more , due to the same set up ,

the reson why they are called Pads was becuse i wanted to use a the tender foot of the gyro and orbe,it is also a nod to the design features on the gyro ,and past decks , i did not want to add a big spacer this would push the cost up , i think the difference in height to the std foot is 7mm, there are plans just to put a piece of acrylic 7mm thick to lift the motor to keep every thing on the same height , they will also be anodised , they seperate the small post inside the suspension from the tenderfoot ,
    that is all you need to know,
    pete

I'm peter.

hi all i hope you are all safe and well, i need to know the thickness of the spider / plinth , if you order the pads, this is becuse over the years Michell has changed the thickness of the Acrylic and reducing the amount of thread you screw the pads onto
    so insted of having 9 mm off thread you will only have 6 mm off thead that hangs down under the acrylic , i just have to adjust the height to compensate for this, it is an easy thing to do

pete

I'm Andy.

Changed the bobbins under the arm pod as per Pete's recommendations tonight - so far so good

Pics of the bobbins in situ:

And new versus old (new on the left):

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Nathan.

A good little upgrade! Have you a link to where you bought the bobbins please, Just to make sure I buy the correct ones.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    A good little upgrade! Have you a link to where you bought the bobbins please, Just to make sure I buy the correct ones.
    See post 639
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

for those of you who may buy the petes pads , the michell foot come in two parts , you simply remove the michell foot and unscrew the post leaving you with the tender foot to screw into the pad, and screw the pads into place on the spider , on the plinth you just have to screw to the plinth on a orbe set up , on the gyro you have to hold onto the small post inside the suspension ,

I'm peter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast