+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

review off simonthepieman off wam

Ok so pete's pylons fitted.

As everyone has said, everything is better, timing key everything is crisper, stop starts are better, image higher, wider, deeper, bass without a doubt deeper and even more control, responsive, tighter.

Overall amazed , the bounce of the suspension has gone of course in fact quite rigid, may settle a little?

If you haven't done this mod do it £185 plus 10 postage so £195 but its a transformation, Vocals more real , on KD lang, Diana Krall, Damian Rice

Cowboy junkies, Daft punk synths amazing, all the usual suspects, pink floyd , Dylan,eagles etc

More captivating and emotional,musical most would say.

Then pure pop as the photo above its tay tay, Tazer, call her what you like shes a genius , taylor Swift latest, superb precision and low notes on some tracks really amazing , with Taylor well up front , recorded & produced using ATC's and in this case, the Kitchen system , Gyro SE with SME iv, Eat jo no.5 Goldnote phono stage, Auralic G2,with quality non digital analog input, then balanced out to Active ATC 40's

Records never sounded this good on Kitchen system, possible records are getting close to the serious record player SME Model15

Love this upgrade, very highly endorsed, don't falter, just do it !

simon

I'm Alan.

'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Stuarts review which he sent me ,,

Well, following the implementation of Peters upgrades inclusive of the new suspension pylons, here is my sixpence worth.

As you may have previously read, it has been a very enjoyable & educational few weeks as I stumbled across this thread almost by accident & full credit & thanks to Pete for his time & vision in raising (what I thought was an excellent product) to a whole new level.

I won’t dissect the Michell Gyro / Orbe & highlight their historic manufacturing errors of which we all know now (it sure was an education for me).

All I can do is share my experiences & if I go over old ground, please forgive & skip.

The motor housing upgrade for me was a revelation; I upgraded to the DC with HR PS & was never happy with the motor noise (after all we are not talking small change).

Since installing the cistern seal, I have silence which extended to the platter & given a more clear but calm reproduction – defies logic to me how it works, but it does.

I changed the bolts in the arm plate from steel to nylon, I also changed the bolts which secure the arm to the arm board from steel to nylon (if you do this, do not forget to earth).

Again to a lesser extent the noise floor has gone down & relaxed the presentation.

The 3 Bearings to the suspension towers changed to Delrin with sorbothane pads.

Main bearing changed from steel to Zirconia Oxide ceramic.

Bearing oil changed to Audio Origami ptfe version.

Following the above changes (& very little money expended) things were beginning to be positively noticeable & very quickly.

Audio image more focused, separation of instruments, more information – I thought “this guy is on to something here”.

I left things to settle in for a few days before I ordered the Pylons....it was supposed to be a couple of weeks but I could not hang on.

Following the order & speedy delivery I installed the pylons & left to settle for a day.

Well I was in for a pleasant surprise, there was MORE of everything.

More air & space around the instruments, bass control, a nice mid range but how much information was I missing (& I thought I had most of it). Acoustic instruments, especially Violin, Cello & Guitar wood resonance can be heard, almost tangible.

The amount of information came straight out from the background, scary stuff on some compositions (I will list another time).

Female vocals were a joy to listen to whomever the artist.

All I can say this upgrade is a no brainer – I have previously implemented all of the Michell upgrades one by one, but none have made this much of an improvement.

I will round off by saying thank you to Peter for all of his hard work which has certainly paid off to us the Gyro / Orbe owners.

PS: anyone know where I can get a “quality “ replacement drive belt.........................

I'm peter.

Analogue Seduction for authentic Michell drive belts

I'm peter.

Hi All with regards to the belt , i had a gentleman who had fitted the pylons and is very happy with them but he uses a Tachometer , and is not happy if the speed in not virtually 33.3 , he sent this email with regards to the belt he is using, i have sent him a new belt ,but i don't think he will need it ,

I think I have got the speed down perfect now, can't believe all it took was cleaning of the sides of the platter were the belt drives it. So simple! A little dust or oil is enough to cause fairly major speed fluctuations, cleaning the platter is a tweak I recommend for all belt driven turntable owners. And you never hear anyone mentioning it. They obviously don't have tachometers attached to their platters. Once my speed stabilizes after a minute or two after turning on the motor, I am now +/- 4/1000th for a entire record side. That's pretty damn good for a $5K record player.

i would always do the above now , after all it is easy to get oil off your fingers onto the belt,

pete

I'm peter.

the platter was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol with a Q Tip , , but he also used it on the belt , i would not do that my self , i would just wash it with soap and warm water , use a microfiber cloth to dry it ,handle the belt with a pair of rubber gloves to stop any grease off you fingers getting onto the newly cleaned surface, alcohol causes the rubber to crack ,

I'm peter.

so after a couple of weeks i will have a new pulley , 2x33.3 and 1x45 , i got fed up of having to remove the double pulley and fitting the old pulley ,to play half speed lps, ,

Last edited by gwernaffield; 08-03-2020 at 16:34.

I'm peter.

HI All just an update on a few things that have been tried and not used,since this thread started ,and some things that are in use , and some future upgrades,

i tried to make a PTFE ball plate that went on top of the bearing , this was working great , but i could never manage to get the correct size for the bearing and the hole in the correct position , this idea was scrapped, and should not be tried, the ptfe can move off the top of the shaft and jam the bearing ,

the delrin and ptfe bearings are no longer used, instead a ceramic bearing is used, the delrin balls were fine , the torlon micro cracked, the ptfe bearing just worn away ,
    the spacer on top of the bearing was scrapped as it would cause the platter to wobble if not positioned properly on the top of the outer part of the bearing ,

things that have been used and are still in use,
    i have used extralub zx1, Warning ⚠ only use this if you can adjust the speed on the power supply , because it will speed the platter ,
    3 ceramic bearings to be placed in the suspension adjuster replacing the steel ball bearings,
    1 ceramic bearing for the main bearing
    Pete's pylons, which are used every day ,
    a new tripple Pulley , which has just been made,
    Made to order Arm Boards, and made to order solid Acrylic platter,
    A New Modification for the power supplies, which is on trial , to replace the speed adjuster with one that is more accessible and user friendly , more news about that when it is back at home, pictures will be posted , and no i am not Mr True-point , the owner of the company is Mr Charlie Melling , he has been upgrading and making parts for audio for a long time, his company has been the best place to get the work done to a high standard , they were the only company i could find that would machine a set of pylons one set at a time, with the bases totally bespoke to sizes sent by the user ,
    i do not work for them , but they put up with all my ideas , they will make most of them,,, charge me accordingly,
    don't expect them to rush , they are busy with orders all the time, Jonathan Melling ( charlies son ) is the guy for cnc and his dad does everything else ,

ATB
    pete

I'm peter.

so True point are making a new power supply , controller for the gyro , it will change the speed with the push of the button, and not need to use the double pulley , i think it will even have a 78rpm but not quite sure if that is needed, , i have seen the trial , but as yet not had hold of it ,,
    it is the same one they do for the pink triangle ,hopefully this will be here next week , along with some pulleys,

I'm peter.

This is what i have been helping with ,you do not need to change the motor , it is a bit cheaper than the HR , price is from Charlie in True point ,seeing the gyro at 78 is quite a sight ,

https://g0z49q.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none

pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast