+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Alan.

Stunning...I want one...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Michael.

I made something similar to that years ago for my Gyro. I still preferred the original over it, but can understand why people may like the acrylic.

I advise using the two belt pulley wheel setup with it - it keeps it running stable with little slippage without the belt grooves. There was a guy who used to sell them on eBay, but you will probably be able to make your own.

I'm peter.

hi Rocky the speed is with in point 1% and is very stable , i have a double pully off Tarzan , and matched belts off Michell, it was made due to the cost of the orbe platter working out at £440 , with out the clamp, and the gyro one is now £300+ with out the weights, what i hate about the original platter is the drive grooves that are left over from when the motor was screwed to the chassis and the cam effect off the spring pylons tighten the belt up , when the motor went into a pod the grooves are not needed, because most people will just move the pod a little bit to get the correct tension on the belt , so if michell in their wisdom would remove the drive groove the belt would center it self in the correct position , but that will never happen ,
    the weight of the platter could be increassed with added weights ,that will never happen, the difference is the gyro platter and the orbe in weight is about 1kg ,
    The acrylic platter is something i wanted to do for the past 2 years,so i plucked up courage to buy the 50mm thick acrylic and then get it machinied, it is only 50% complete with the holes still to be drilled and tapped in the base to fit the weights into
    so far it has just been surprisingly very good, over the std gyo ,,as yours would not of had the upgraded suspension in place, it would be impossible to compair them like for like, i still have to fit the double pully ,which was given me by Tarzan, with plans for a tripple or quad pully next year , Michell said they would increase wow as one belt slips against the other, i may just leve it for now, i know the wow is very very low as it is , i have heard several hidden high notes in a couple of albums that was not their before,
    the clarity is better, i cannot put exactly what is the difference due to all the mods on the deck , from the arm board to the bearing ,and doughnut in the motor pod , and skateboard feet , all have changed the oddyssey to a differrent deck ,

Last edited by gwernaffield; 14-12-2019 at 13:17.

I'm peter.

Oh Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to every one on AOS

I'm TAD.

Looks as if the phrase " I Want one of those " applies in respect of the platter. Nice job. Well done Peter, again.

tad.

I'm peter.

Hi Tad have a happy christmas , and a happy new year , their are no plans as yet to make this until this has been used by several people ,it is not completely finished, i want to put the weights into the base of the platter, to keep the gyro look , also trying to keep a lid on the price, seems to be the key , but at this moment their is only this one made,

Better speed consistency.This additional mass gives the platter more inertia, which results in better speed consistency 4.17kg

Cleaner and more detailed sound. Acrylic is great for minimizing unwanted vibrations thanks to its relatively high density and low stiffness. The combination of these two mechanical properties allow the platter to trap and dissipate vibrational energy that would otherwise creep into playback. This results in improved detail and clarity from your records.
    https://uturnaudio.com/blogs/uturn/c...mdf-or-acrylic
    atb
    p
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 16-12-2019 at 23:49.

I'm TAD.

I'll watch this space then.
    HNY.

I'm peter.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone on AOS

pete

I'm Stuart.

Default My Gyro Updates to Date

Good morning Pete, hope your good.
    I thought I would tap a few words over following my first listening session since implementing your upgrade ideas.

Suffice to say, after what was supposed to be an hours session, I ended up finishing at 2 am this morning (how may times have we all heard that statement?), so I really didn't feel like getting up at 6 today.

By nature I am a little conservative & not prone to gushing or following the herd, but I have to say it was a very interesting & enjoyable few hours.

I was listening Via my Stax headphones which give masses of information & my Tom Evans phonostage (also well known for extracting information & zero noise floor).

The first thing which I noticed (as we all do ) is the amount of background sound information (micro dynamics?) coming into the fore from the shadows due to the lowering of the noise floor.**
    Next ( which really struck a chord with me) was the separation of the individual instruments & the space between them was quite uncanny, I really noticed this when I listened to the Eric Clapton Unplugged LP, especially as I can now hear more than one foot tapping on the stage & more backing singers than I originally thought - in a word excellent.

Dark side of the moon again revealed a lot more than before, I noticed the extra solidity of the heartbeats at the start which had more presence & weight, so assume there has been an increase in the bass & lets not even mention The Wall, Whoah! that sure is a busy layered composition.

While listening to Jack Johnson's LP in between days ( a favourite of mine due to its simplicity & the quality of production) was the decay in the cymbals, which although has always been nice & sustained, now seem to shimmer & decay more slowly & evenly.
    Also the feeling of being in that small studio & hearing the actual room acoustics the musicians were playing in was a real treat.

** I noticed a slight increase in surface noise varying from pressing to pressing, I attribute this to the additional lowering of the noise floor, but when I listen through my loudspeakers I doubt it will be intrusive.

Certain female vocals which can sometimes sound bright / hard (Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega) now have a more focused & less edgy quality, do not confuse this with rounding off the treble but a more natural presentation if that makes sense.
    I have always liked Suzanne Vega due to the cut glass nature of her voice & this is still the case, but now almost tangible.

Well that's where I am with your updates to date Pete, my sincere thanks for all of your research & hard work which has made another music lover happy & smile into the early hours & I suspect will continue this weekend.
    Thank you again.

I'm peter.

Hi all please note only use the zx1 super lube if you have the HR power supply ,so you can adjust the speed, the ZX1 will reduce friction on the bearing ( less Noise) ,will make the turntable faster ,
    thank you for your kind review, i hope the deck now brings you more listerning pleasure ,

atb
    Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast