+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

cheers Mr Moon for testing this out i wait your feedback ,

I'm Alan.

Well as you can see from the Pics...the new armborad has arrived..I thought my Gyrodec had already been taken to the highest level, however the new solid acrylic armborad has taken it yet to another level, which I didn't think was possible. Initially I fitted the board with the original delrin spacers from Michell, as in the pics, but this meant the tonearm was just about right at the bottom of it's travel..I also tried an acrylic spacer, which is a similar depth to the Michell spacers, which again left no play room at the top of the tonearm pivot...Anyway.. The voicing is a lot better, the sound stage has opened up further and all aspects of the tonal range is even snappier than ever...crisp cybmals.. tight fast snare and toms..the Piano's are the best I've heard them yet..stunning clear vocals and the bass is deeper, more controlled, better extended and tuneful...I can pick all instruments out with ease, making for a much clearer listen...I said the Pylons were the best upgrade, but this armborad now fixed to the chassis, with a rubber gasket beneath it and the Michell spacers and acrylic ring spacer are now in the spares box...Is easily as good an upgrapde as the Pylons....The original Aluminium arm board is also now relegated to the spares box...and of course, again, as with all the mods/upgrades, everything can be returned to original Michell spec, should you wish to move your tt on, which is unlikely of course...atb folks...Al..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Alan.

Looks fine too...

[IMG]GYROBOARD by Alan Moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Steve.

Just an observation, but for future arm-boards, you may want to consider having the bolt/screw heads under-flush.
    Looking at the photo and eyeballing, it looks like the screw heads could restrict movement of the tone-arm(s).

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
    Just an observation, but for future arm-boards, you may want to consider having the bolt/screw heads under-flush.
    Looking at the photo and eyeballing, it looks like the screw heads could restrict movement of the tone-arm(s).
    Yes Steve...This small issue is already being addressed......Not so much a problem with the SME fit, as the bolt heads are way below the SME mount.....I have some stainless steel countersunk allen headed bolts on their way to me...Which will just require the board to be countersunk at the three fixing points, to take the bolts level with the top of the board, also will be using some bolts made from nylon, with the added benefit of more isoltaion..My Gyrodec sounds fantastic..
    Last edited by mad-moon; 03-07-2019 at 18:45.

I'm peter.

it is not a problem , I used nylon bolts , and a oak top due to having a funkfirm 5mm matt , sound is fantastic , no pops ,, arm is earthed and so is the chassis ,, bearing ,,and sweep arm , the arm is screwd directly into the oak and acrylic ,
    the base of the acrylic armboard sits on a decoupling device , held in place with the 3 nylon bolts, that do not get in the way of the sme arm because of the way the Sme arm is made,,This are not CHEAP , due to the cost of round acrylic and the thickness of the acrylic needed, also to get the weight correct ,,so you don't over balance the arm on the chassis,, the maximum weight being about 1.1kg with the weight of the arm according to Michell,,

ATB
    pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 03-07-2019 at 22:02.

I'm Vince.

I heard Als (Mad-Moon),tt yesterday and agree with everything he says. The stereo image is outside his room and the detail is unreal along with the tightest bass around. This with a Denon 103 cartridge, (which I really like).....and it makes you think.....what the hell kinda sounds will you get with....say a Koetsu or suchlike. Pete really knows his onions and really deserves some serious recognition.....he or Al are not paying me by the way. I just believe what my ears have told me. Good luck and best wishes for the future Pete.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Having seen Peters arm board top, I thought..that looks rather pleasing, so I asked Peter if he had any more oak and lucky for me, yes he did...so he sent it to me and what you see on my TT is the result of a couple of hours very enjoyable work and It looks very impressive, but yet again and more important...the improvements in sound quality have jumped up another rung...my sound is really shivers up the spine stuff from the big black discs...There is one very very important part in the fabricatiion of the board...I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill you...

[IMG]oak 2 by Alan Moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]oak 1 by Alan Moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm Vince.

Sounded bloody good the last time I heard, so I'm looking forward to hearing it now.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm peter.

Hi Vince,, you will be in for a shock , now in this is the final one,, you could say it was copied, but it is not ,, Gert pederson armboard is entirely different ,, Michell's armboard are mainly aluminium , Peter's Performance arm board is unique, in that it uses a hard wood top, this has not been copied,, any where,, The pylons are the same they have never been copied, I was discussing with Mr moon how long this has taken to get where the Gyro will see off the best Turntables around, I think it was 2 -3 years, with
    parts being changed,,bearings ,, oil,, different materials, but not string ,, all materials used needed to be recyclable ,, the O rings on the pylons not to cost a fortune,, Alan came up with the theory to decouple all the parts that were steel and aluminium ,,
    so out went the steel bearings,, to delrin, then to ceramic , we changed the oil to ZX1 super lube, (only use if you have a hr power supply ) ,, changed the top of the bearing with delrin ,, I designed the suspension with the help of Alan ,and Andy , who had to put up with the 3 rings and then the 6 ,, on hooks, we than changed to 6 slots,, with the use of O rings,, the out come was stunning ,,

That still left the armboard in aluminium, I made one of carbon fibre which is very good, but also very expensive, the material alone being £250 ,,

I made some plastic spacers , and used them along with the original armboard , but it was not quite what I was looking for ,,,, I also knew if the acrylic was heavier than the aluminium it would over balance the deck ,,

I took a couple of weeks to get the size and weight correct ,, also to allow adjustment on the SME arm,, there were only 2 made,,I told Alan about what I was upto , he asked if I had one spare could he try it , only if you are honest on what you think ,

he was taken back how good it was,, but I had then changed it to add the oak top ,,only because I did not want to add the height and weight of the acrylic ,

Even I was in for a shock how this added another dimension to the music ,, less ,clicks and pops,, you only hear what the producer has put onto the LP ,,, To where you would think the artist is in the room with you ,, I don't normally do feedback on my stuff , but boy oh boy,, Mr Moon was correct for me to carry on doing what I do,, to get the very best out of the normal gyro which will see of the orbe ,, and In my own opinion I have done that ,,

SME armboard is for sale POA,,
    Rega arm Board is for sale POA
    Bearing support still being made, POA...
    Peter's pylons still for sale,, POA ,,
    all are by true point engineering ,,,, all designed by me and tested by me ,,
    ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 08-07-2019 at 17:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast