Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

cheers Al , they do hide the pylons ,, if needed,

ATB
    Pete

I'm Gary.

Thanks Guys.
    Pete think an order will be coming your way soon.

Not read the whole thread here, whats the measure the holes on the chassis thing?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm peter.

you have pm

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    you have pm
    Thanks Pete, read that over tonight when back from work.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm peter.

you are welcome,

pete

I'm peter.

I have been asked about the acrylic spacer that you can buy off eBay and drill your own holes to make it fit ,, it was 114mm diameter 12mm thick and with a 85mm hole in the center ,, you need to make the gaskets from rubber and buy the longer bolts, all off eBay ,, I do not make them or supply them ,,

how ever I am looking at dining a full SME arm board out of Acrylic ,,which will be on piece and will replace the spacer and the Michell arm board ,, with the use of one piece proper arm board , ,which will be started tomorrow,,

using the Michell arm board as a template, and then getting the rear counter bored to 85mm diameter fitting a gasket to the base,, to use a damper ,, i will let you know the cost, at a later date,,

The pylons are still made, The O rings that Steve had were replaced, this was because the wrong shore rating had been sent by mistake,, I had somehow ended up with 90 shore and not the 70 ,, he is now happy ,, and continues to enjoy the Gyro he owns,,
    ATB
    pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 02-06-2019 at 10:32.

I'm peter.

O Ring testing ,, After all that has been said ,,and done,, the rings will take a weight of 12.5 kg easy , if one is cut they will not unravel,,

At 12.5kg one single O Ring snapped
    d ..
    At 6.5 kg , one o ring will hold,

In my opinion,, I think I would need about 39 kg to stretch the 6 o rings, and the 5 , but as I do not have something that weight I cannot confirm that ,,as one o ring will hold 6.5 kg to 7.5 kg and the pylons use 6 ,, 6.5x6= 39kg ,, 6 kg x the 3 pylons, 117kg all told,
    where a threaded string will take 6kg x 3 18kg in total , the Orings are all separate and are safer than a threaded string in my opinion in this application
    Pete's Pylons for michell orbe and gyro , using the the LTSS made by true point engineering and not by michell,,
    the gyro platter is about 3.5 kg , the orbe platter is 4.5 kg ,, the chassis is about 4kg , with out the dampening material , each Lead weight is 1.5kg ,, x2
    ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 03-06-2019 at 23:14.

I'm Alan.

That's brilliant Peter...and peace of mind, knowing that nothing is gonna give any time soon..that is an incredible amount of weight..and a test taken to the extreme with the o-rings being only 2mm thick ..I've always had faith in them anyway and knew they were exceptionally strong. This will assure potential buyers of the pylons, that their valuable cartridges are not going to be at risk along with the many enhancements to sound quality and stability...excellent..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

hi Alan it was just to give peace of mind ,to the users, things had been said about if one had broken it would be a problem ,,, but the test proved it would not be,,only if I had used a continual length on rubber or other material it would of failed if threaded through all the slots in the base and nut ,, as one o ring will hold around the 7 kg mark ,, I use six in the design ,, it takes a lot to break one , if it had been one continual peace of rubber or thread it would of just pulled through the slots leaving no support at all,,

A.T.B
    Pete

I'm peter.

just to update ,, you do not have to buy the bearings if you do not want to , this would leave the Michell bearings in the posts ,, so no need to remove them when fitting and no risk of loosing them either , the bearings are just to complete a further upgrade,,if you want them .. the price with out the bearings is £130,, with the bearings £150 ,, made to measure are £180 with out the bearings,, and with £200,,
    all will have spare O rings ,,

The ceramic bearing is just a further upgrade to those who wish to do this,, along with the bearing ball in the main bearing ,, and come with the higher payment ,, along with the sorbothane parts ,,
    there is no risk if the O Ring snapped, as the rest is held in place with the further 5 O rings,, ,,
    the basic kit is £130 ,, ,,this Is an Exceptional Value product that comes in a plain box,, with NO Strings Attached,, they work straight out of the box, no need to measure if you do not want to ,,
    as the tests have shown they will take considerable force to break the O Rings,, due to the design not being a one piece material threaded through the base and nut they can take the weight Placed on them ,, unlike a one piece material that is threaded through the nut and base it will only take 6 kg before it may fail in my opinion ,, Peter's Pylons use a total of 6 rings on each post ,each single o ring will take 6.5 -7.5 kg ,,, not just 6 kg ,,using a one piece material that is threaded through the nut and base,, they are designed to fit into both chassis holes, to give better stability ,location onto the designed Michell engineering points for the suspension ,,
    ATB
    pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 16-06-2019 at 17:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast