+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Steve.

Hi Pete,

The Rings made of EDPM material appears to be the way forward. Reading the specs from the Eastern Seals website, the Rings tick the right boxes in terms of function, i.e. resistance to UV, tear/stretch resistance, thus IMHO would be better suited to the Pylons design than NBR.

I would be interested in a set of these Rings; however, I would prefer the next size up to the 28,50mm you currently supply.

The reason being is for my deck the Nuts have bottomed out on the Adjuster Thread, so I cannot lower the sub-chassis any further, fortunately, I don’t need to go any lower, but I would prefer the Nut to be positioned in the middle of the thread length rather than the bottom.

No one else has mentioned this on the forum, so I am assuming that the issue is unique to my deck. My installation has the drive belt at 90 degrees to both the motor and platter spindles, so I am satisfied there is nothing wrong with my set-up.

The problem may be due to the fact that I previously had the solid imperial Adjuster, which has been replaced with the 2 piece Adjuster which you (Michell) supplied with your Pylons kit. It might also be due to my deck being an Export model; it may have slightly different depth of holes, whatever, the problem is not unsurmountable, and should be easily resolved with slightly larger (longer) Rings.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
    Hi Pete,

The Rings made of EDPM material appears to be the way forward. Reading the specs from the Eastern Seals website, the Rings tick the right boxes in terms of function, i.e. resistance to UV, tear/stretch resistance, thus IMHO would be better suited to the Pylons design than NBR.

I would be interested in a set of these Rings; however, I would prefer the next size up to the 28,50mm you currently supply.

The reason being is for my deck the Nuts have bottomed out on the Adjuster Thread, so I cannot lower the sub-chassis any further, fortunately, I don’t need to go any lower, but I would prefer the Nut to be positioned in the middle of the thread length rather than the bottom.

No one else has mentioned this on the forum, so I am assuming that the issue is unique to my deck. My installation has the drive belt at 90 degrees to both the motor and platter spindles, so I am satisfied there is nothing wrong with my set-up.

The problem may be due to the fact that I previously had the solid imperial Adjuster, which has been replaced with the 2 piece Adjuster which you (Michell) supplied with your Pylons kit. It might also be due to my deck being an Export model; it may have slightly different depth of holes, whatever, the problem is not unsurmountable, and should be easily resolved with slightly larger (longer) Rings.

Cheers,

Steve
    Yeah Steve...I don't think there are two decks the same made by Michell. The o-ring length issue, was disscused at some point and again, it was a case of finding a happy medium for the Gyro and the Orbe....This issue was well tested by the owners of the Gyros and the Orbes before the o-ring length was settled upon. A different thickness o-ring was supplied with the Orbe kit, because of the weight difference in the platter, but that strange law, the law of sod, there is going to be a one off, where something else will be required to suit said one off..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Steve.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate it has been a nightmare for you guys developing the pylon design, a constant battle with Michell’s lack of good quality control management. I clearly have the deck with the relationship of the thread to the sub-chassis being the issue, rather than the sizes of the holes which was the lion’s share of Pete’s problems, as you mention, there’s always one!!!

Cheers,

Steve

I'm Neil.

I have a Mk1 SME Model 20 with all the original O rings, never replaced and all functioning as should be. No sagging etc, TT stays level when set up.
    Regards Neil

I'm peter.

the system SME use is different ,,the pete's pylons which do not have the weight to contend with ,,Like the sme does,, I have found a set up manual on the Web ,do SME have an internal damper to help with the weight,,,

where the Michell does not need that ,, having a cast lightweight chassis,, in the past 2 years of using this design I have not had a problem ,,,I have always asked if any one has,,with always being told everything is fine,, the O rings stretches and then settles down after a week,or 2 ,, if I send them out with too longer O Ring they would bottom out ,with most users just placing the Motor pod on a piece of rubber or sorbothane,, thank you for helping in this debate ,, it is the only way forward , ,
    ATB pete

I'm Andy.

Just playing a few albums tonight as the wife is away this weekend and eyeballed the pylons and the nut is around 3/4 down on the thread so all good.
    Also checked the rings and none are showing any signs of getting more brittle (also checked the level and not budged).
    My TT is in a back room with no sunlight which probably helps

Still think they are the best upgrade to the Orbe or Gyro.
    Well done Peter
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

The Pete's pylons, I see as a long term upgrade and not just affordable upgrade,,for all owners ,, it has been said they are an essential upgrade to the Michell Gyro And Orbe users,, with the result and comments all positive results,, the debate about O rings has been a positive one, NBR is the best one to use,, but the option of EDPM is there as well,,

P.O.A. for the Full kit and requires the owner to measure the holes in the chassis,, will have all the parts in the Kit picture

P.O.A. is not a kit ,, will not require the owner to measure the chassis , but will fit with they only 2 bushes fitted NO bearings , No sorbothane pads or sorbothane top washer,, just the pylon it self ,,

A quality product in a plain white cardboard Box,,

This is a long term upgrade that will need servicing ,,the same as the springs,, I have been told they Bring a great benefit to the Gyro and orbe by the users , but I do to have test equipment or graphs to explain why ,,only ears , and now a lot of them

'On a gyro it’s a significant amount compared to the cost of a deck, but the benefits gained make it a bargain. On an Orbe it’s comparatively less but the benefits are just as great.' from a happy user ,,

ATB pete

(Pricing removed temporarily by Alex_UK, Mod, as requested by Peter whilst under review.)
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 19-07-2019 at 17:08. Reason: Pricing alterations

I'm peter.

please note they are purchased through http://www.true-point.audio/

I do not do any other upgrades at this moment in time,, The Acrylic Ring is bought off ebay 114mm diameter x 12mm with a 80mm hole in the center ,, bought off wholesaleplastics,, on ebay ,, use the maichell arm board to drill 3 x5mm drill holes, and then add

a rubber gadget , 3 longer bolts,, and use the same spacer as with the Michell arm board ,, I do not make them ,, and will not supply them,

I have a solid acrylic arm board that will be on test in the next couple of months,, the cost has to be worked out ,, made out of cast acrylic ,, for sme,, these are still on the drawing board ,, Pete's gyro and orbe suspension upgrade pylons made by true point engineering ,,for the j a michell orbe and gyro .are for sale,

I'm Gary.

Hi Pete,
    good job with the pylons, we kept in touch in the early days of development.

Im interested again now that they are a complete product and I’m thinking to get a set to improve my “Gorbe” deck.
    one thing just to confirm, can the Michell spring covers still be used to fit over the pylons the same way as they do on the stock Michell springs?

thanks.
    Gary.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-05-2019 at 18:38.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Pete,
    good job with the pylons, we kept in touch in the early days of development.

Im interested again now that they are a complete product and I’m thinking to get a set to improve my “Gorbe” deck.
    one thing just to confirm, can the Michell spring covers still be used to fit over the pylons the same way as they do on he stock Michell springs?

thanks.
    Gary.
    Yes they do go over Peter's design
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast