+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Tad they seem to do feet as well and are in Canada, so no import duties,

pete

I'm peter.

well after month of doing the pylons, and some little bits, i don't think now i have any more to add, it has been a great way to learn ,what will and wont work, the Pylons being the Cream of the Bunch , one which i just cannot Better , the cost went up as things were added, which is out of my control ,what i did learn was the engineering company has to make money regardless, the better the company the better the job , but the price was higher , each set was made as near to the sizes given , and not to a std size
    which will have to happen even though i do not want that , i have the new sizes for decks from 2014 , the ones before that can be any size, with the solid post being imperial ,yes the nut will fit but wobble from side to side, The M10 is far too big for the early decks , with out the split adjuster , Mr Moon has painted the Nuts on his pylons, not sure how he has done that Acetal /Derin does not like paint so if you require painted ones ask Mr Moon , he will be happy to supply them to you ,

experiments with sorbothane , the problem with this stuff is it is like jelly with a skin on , i did not manage to buy any 70 -90 duro stuff ,all the stuff was 50 duro , i tried to make washers to go under the arm board onto the arm board spacers
    on tightening up it seemed fine , but on inspection , the sorbothane had just turned to a mush, not doing anything ,if i had left it loose the arm would of not been in the correct position ,
    The Suspension Bobbins , work 100% better than any spacer (acrylic ) arm board add on what you wish to call it , the bobbins having rubber separating the threads so they never touch , i used Nylon Screws , and the rest was easy ,
    They gave better arm isolation , as now the arm was not getting 99% of vibration into the base, from any where in the chassis ,this being damped out by the rubber ,
    The way i looked at this was a sme 3009 used Rubber Grommets through the base plate to the arm board , what is good enough for SME is good enough for the michell but on a bigger scale,,,
    i put 3 other ones under the arm board just to help stop any movement these are not fixed, but held with some double sided tape , you can buy carbon fiber 120mm x120mm x22mm and use the sme arm board as a template, use a tile hole cutter to do the holes,
    a angle grinder to do the roughing out with a cutting disk attached, but do this out side wear PPE gloves mask , etc , and then seal with some car clear coat paint

cost of board is £175 just for the Carbon off eBay ,and is a DIY project ,

pete

I'm peter.

the pylons are for sale if you want to buy them just pm me pete

I'm Mike.

A month or so back, I learned about Peter's suspension upgrade from a friend of mine who also has a JA Michell GyroDec. He has been in a long search for how to get this turntable to sound better or even as good as a lower end turntable he also uses. Both of us over the years have investigated various upgrades to these wonderful but in one way seriously flawed turntables. We each had issues with the performance of the turntable that we found frustrating to solve. Something was robbing the sound reproduction in these turntables and it was hard to understand why. As we all know, Gert Pedersen in Denmark has done a lot to get these Michell turntables to the next level. So has SolidAir. A lot of those efforts surround improvements to suspension, eliminating a natural resonator called a spring. However, I was not prepared to take a drill to my suspension or use sand in some of the suggested modifications. I mean, it was more likely that I would sell the turntable than do that to it and I know for a fact that my friend was of the same mind.

Besides using acrylic toroids under the armboard, my friend and I have experimented with employing vibration control devices under platforms that the turntables sits upon. In my case, I was astonished at the improvement that passive vibration control devices brought. That really tightened up every aspect of the sound reproduction. As a consequence, I felt that I had eliminated most of the issues that derive from undampened spring vibrations in the GyroDec. I was by and large satisfied and I shared that view the other day with Mad-Moon as we discussed upgrade options for the GyroDec.

So a few weeks ago, my friend and I made the necessary measurements to get our GyroDecs fitted with Peter's "castlenut" suspension assemblies. The design reminded me of the suspension bridge over the River Tweed at Peebles, Scotland. Also, transmission towers use a similar structural design; it is very stable, incredibly strong and an effective design. What Peter has come up with is a significant design evolution from the SolidAir approach. So together we pulled the trigger and ordered sets. They arrived in a week once shipped from the UK to the US.

Friday I installed the new pylon suspension system. My measurements were bang on and the pylons installed quickly, in less than 30 minutes, soap to nuts. I did not employ the included sorbothane pads, instead I used Herbie's Audio's Grungebuster material. I punched out a 1/4" diameter disc on 1/8" thick Grungebuster with adhesive backing. That fit perfectly on the top part of the lower suspension post and slips into the upper post perfectly. The adhesive backing meant that the vibration-absorbing pad stayed on the lower post. I employed the ceramic bearings because I did not believe the static load on the turntable was large enough to adversely impact the bearing. I did remove the green copper grease in the upper post and replaced it with a small dab of silicone grease. I have not yet installed the ceramic ball bearing on the main bearing. That change is pending. It took only a few minutes with several bubble levels to get the GyroDec properly level.

Then I pulled out a small stack of records that I have been playing recently. First in the stack is Kate Wolf's 1975-1985 Retrospective. This is what I heard. The detail is just better all the way around but not analytical. The sound stage is the biggest difference. Everything seems to be in a natural and sweet focus. The bass is taut and firm, just right. Overall a nicer tone, not muddled. Crisp sounding, as if Kate was performing in the room, just right. I did not think the difference would be like this. Other changes I've made produced a stunning improvement. The change here is in tone. Little things all around improved that tighten up the sound reproduction. An overall sweeter tone. Detail across the audio frequency spectrum was just better. Quite relaxed. Just sweet.

Then I put on a jazz record that I know well and have been playing lately, Music Matters SRX release of Horace Silver's Song of My Father. The difference here was pronounced. Particularly on the drums and hi-hats. The change just jumped out at me in literally a head-turning, can-you-believe-that moment. Here the bass response was unreal, just so much better. I had commented a month or so ago on the Steve Hoffman Forum in a Music Matters thread that the drum kit was polite in this pressing, a bit subdued. I did not necessarily hear that so pronounced on the mostly acoustic guitar Kate Wolf album. But on this jazz title, it was more than obvious. As I listened to more and more records, I was pleasantly surprised at what I was hearing.

I told my friend that I believe the changes we’ve just made have moved this turntable to a new, better and higher level. The cost for this upgrade is relatively minimal, particularly in relation to the entire turntable cost. A local audiophile friend who knows my system well was over on Friday afternoon. He said this: “Your turntable before sounded awesome. Now that I hear some of the same titles again, what I hear is the muddiness is gone. I would never have described your turntable as muddy. But now I hear a new clarity and all of its attendant impacts on imaging and soundstage. The biggest impact is in the bass because it’s not muddy. Instead it’s more defined, refined and louder." We played some five or six records, selected cuts.

The turntable sounded really good to me before I installed Peter's suspension. For me it was hard to imagine a leap in performance. Given what I have done prior, I was thinking I would hear an incremental improvement. The improvement, however, is one of immediate refinement and it is quite obvious. This suspension makes the GyroDec just better overall in hard-to-articulate ways. The hotness or stridency or metallic sounding as in the upper registers is tamed. The bass is super clear and powerful. Best of all is a beautiful soundstage and imaging. Nice note decay in imaging and soundspace is extended. Just lots of refinement. The best way to describe what I now hear is refinement to every aspect of sound reproduction. And that is sweet.

One more change that I made here. Now under each of the three "orbital lander" footers on the Michell, I have placed a Grungebuster disc inside one of these lamp check rings (https://www.grandbrass.com/item/crt1...ckrings-18ips/). The 1/8" thick Grungebuster has an adhesive on one side and in this application, it is up, and in contact with the Michell footer. This Grungebuster is several thousands of an inch proud of the lamp check ring, so the ring does not touch the maple base or the turntable for that matter. I did not want to install skateboard wheels on the turntable, so these pads are my solution to potential movement of the table on the maple blocks in my system.

I told my friend who introduced me to Peter's suspension system that I was really glad he found this upgrade and shared it with me.

And to you Peter. Thank you! Well done.
    Last edited by BendBound; 24-03-2019 at 19:28.

I'm Jeffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by BendBound View Post
    A month or so back, I learned about Peter's suspension upgrade from a friend of mine who also has a JA Michell GyroDec. He has been in a long search for how to get this turntable to sound better or even as good as a lower end turntable he also uses. Both of us over the years have investigated various upgrades to these wonderful but in one way seriously flawed turntables. We each had issues with the performance of the turntable that we found frustrating to solve. Something was robbing the sound reproduction in these turntables and it was hard to understand why. As we all know, Gert Pedersen in Denmark has done a lot to get these Michell turntables to the next level. So has SolidAir. A lot of those efforts surround improvements to suspension, eliminating a natural resonator called a spring. However, I was not prepared to take a drill to my suspension or use sand in some of the suggested modifications. I mean, it was more likely that I would sell the turntable than do that to it and I know for a fact that my friend was of the same mind.

Besides using acrylic toroids under the armboard, my friend and I have experimented with employing vibration control devices under platforms that the turntables sits upon. In my case, I was astonished at the improvement that passive vibration control devices brought. That really tightened up every aspect of the sound reproduction. As a consequence, I felt that I had eliminated most of the issues that derive from undampened spring vibrations in the GyroDec. I was by and large satisfied and I shared that view the other day with Mad-Moon as we discussed upgrade options for the GyroDec.

So a few weeks ago, my friend and I made the necessary measurements to get our GyroDecs fitted with Peter's "castlenut" suspension assemblies. The design reminded me of the suspension bridge over the River Tweed at Peebles, Scotland. Also, transmission towers use a similar structural design; it is very stable, incredibly strong and an effective design. What Peter has come up with is a significant design evolution from the SolidAir approach. So together we pulled the trigger and ordered sets. They arrived in a week once shipped from the UK to the US.

Friday I installed the new pylon suspension system. My measurements were bang on and the pylons installed quickly, in less than 30 minutes, soap to nuts. I did not employ the included sorbothane pads, instead I used Herbie's Audio's Grungebuster material. I punched out a 1/4" diameter disc on 1/8" thick Grungebuster with adhesive backing. That fit perfectly on the top part of the lower suspension post and slips into the upper post perfectly. The adhesive backing meant that the vibration-absorbing pad stayed on the lower post. I employed the ceramic bearings because I did not believe the static load on the turntable was large enough to adversely impact the bearing. I did remove the green copper grease in the upper post and replaced it with a small dab of silicone grease. I have not yet installed the ceramic ball bearing on the main bearing. That change is pending. It only took only a few minutes with several bubble levels to get the GyroDec properly level.

Then I pulled out a small stack of records that I have been playing recently. First in the stack is Kate Wolf's 1975-1985 Retrospective. This is what I heard. The detail is just better all the way around but not analytical. The sound stage is the biggest difference. Everything seems to be in a natural and sweet focus. The bass is taut and firm, just right. Overall a nicer tone, not muddled. Crisp sounding, as if Kate was performing in the room, just right. I did not think the difference would be like this. Other changes I've made produced a stunning improvement. The change here is in tone. Little things all around improved that tighten up the sound reproduction. An overall sweeter tone. Detail across the audio frequency spectrum was just better. Quite relaxed. Just sweet.

Then I put on a jazz record that I know well and have been playing lately, Music Matters SRX release of Horace Silver's Song of My Father. The difference here was pronounced. Particularly on the drums and hi-hats. The change just jumped out at me in literally a head-turning, can-you-believe-that moment. Here the bass response was unreal, just so much better. I had commented a month or so ago on the Steve Hoffman Forum in a Music Matters thread that the drum kit was polite in this pressing, a bit subdued. I did not necessarily hear that so pronounced on the mostly acoustic guitar Kate Wolf album. But on this jazz title, it was more than obvious. As I listened to more and more records, I was pleasantly surprised at what I was hearing.

I told my friend that I believe the changes we’ve just made have moved this turntable to a new, better and higher level. The cost for this upgrade is relatively minimal, particularly in relation to the entire turntable cost. A local audiophile friend who knows my system well was over on Friday afternoon. He said this: “Your turntable before sounded awesome. Now that I hear some of the same titles again, what I hear is the muddiness is gone. I would never have described your turntable as muddy. But now I hear a new clarity and all of its attendant impacts on imaging and soundstage. The biggest impact is in the bass because it’s not muddy. Instead it’s more defined, refined and louder." We played some five or six records, selected cuts.

The turntable sounded really good to me before I installed Peter's suspension. For me it was hard to imagine a leap in performance. Given what I have done prior, I was thinking I would hear an incremental improvement. The improvement, however, is one of immediate refinement and it is quite obvious. This suspension makes the GyroDec just better overall in hard-to-articulate ways. The hotness or stridency or metallic sounding as in the upper registers is tamed. The bass is super clear and powerful. Best of all is a beautiful soundstage and imaging. Nice note decay in imaging and soundspace is extended. Just lots of refinement. The best way to describe what I now hear is refinement to every aspect of sound reproduction. And that is sweet.

One more change that I made here. Now under each of the three "orbital lander" footers on the Michell, I have place a Grungebuster disc inside one of these lamp check rings (https://www.grandbrass.com/item/crt1...ckrings-18ips/). The 1/8" thick Grungebuster has an adhesive on one side and in this application, it is up, and in contact with the Michell footer. This Grungebuster is several thousands of an inch proud of the lamp check ring, so the ring does not touch the maple base or the turntable for that matter. I did not want to install skateboard wheels on the turntable, so these pads are my solution to the movement of the table on my maple blocks.

I told my friend who introduced me to Peter's suspension system that I was really glad he found this upgrade and that shared it with me.

And to you Peter. Thank you! Well done.
    I'm the other Gyro SE owner mentioned in the post above.

I agree 100% with BendBound's observations. While we both have Gyro SE's, we have different tonearms and still we both heard the same improvements.

I can't really add anything more meaningful to BendBound's review/impressions, except to mention that during the two decades that I've owned my Gyro SE that I've had 3 different phono cartridges, 3 different armboard isolation systems, and tried 4 different phono preamps. I always struggled with a metal sounding sheen that seemed to affect the upper highs, especially with Rock or Female Opera singers. For awhile I was saving my Gyro for Jazz & Classical, and playing Rock on my other turntable.

Pete's Pylons made a bigger change to my Gyro than all the other changes that came before.

That metal sounding sheen has now vanished, and my Gyro is happy playing all genres! It took me awhile longer to get around to writing this than I intended, because after I first installed Pete's Pylons all I wanted to do was sit and listen to music on my improved machine.

There were times in the past that I thought about selling my Gyro and trying something else. After Pete's improvements to my Gyro, I can now say that my Michell is a keeper!

Thank you Pete!

I'm peter.

i originally wanted these to be about the £80 mark , however the cost to machine them is over that now with the way the nut is made, and the base,,, add the rest of the parts hence the price as it is at £150, plus post , the change in price is down to the machine shop , with quotes of up to £180 for machining alone, as i cannot order large amounts due to the way the deck is made, each hole can be a different size and often are ,all 3 holes end up being different sizes on some chassis in which case they will be made to the largest one, and owner support is needed,

i know about solidair but any resemblance to them is coincidental, and costly , for your ears,,,,. and wallet ,,,,
    they will not include the rest of the pack that is with the Pylons above,,,but will have a nice looking TIN to keep your Bits in ,

Thank you for the reviews above, and i hope i can keep supplying them,,, Marco has been great in all of this, and the members of AOS who helped in doing them ,i cannot say thank you enough for the support of Mr Moon , Ginnimag , who must of though i had lost the plot in doing these with all the different ways , only for the ones in use to come out on top , of the whole bunch of trying over the past 3 years, but only uploaded this year ,
    some i would not show due to the laughing i could Hear ,
    the one thing in the back of my mind was what would happen if the o-ring snapped, in the end it was down to that one thought , to not damage the cartridge if one failed, unlike string , wool ,which will fail ,there was no give , putting extra strain on the main bearing when fitting the clamp , where the o-rings have the give to allow the clamp to be fitted with out putting a lot of strain on the main bearing ,

what is in the Kit you can see on the picture above the reviews, 4 ceramic bearings ( ebay cost is £4,50 each ) ptfe washers , 36 o rings (18 spare ) sorbothane pads ( cannot get grunge buster due to cost and import duty ) 3 sorbothane washers , recently added, 3 pylons, set up and ready to be fitted to the chassis,
    the design has noting to do with Michell , who i am told are working on there own way of replacing the spring in the future ,,,they would consider this design close to sme design,,,and would not consider taking it on as suggested by some of the reviews,,, SME uses a oil filled damper , and special 100strand o-rings at a cost of £8 each ,,, i have never seen the sme design or operation ,or even listened to one of there fabulous turntables ,, only read in some of the reviews in some of the mags that sme has o-rings supported by a damper and a special o-ring of their design and manufacture that uses a 100 strands of rubber ,,

These use the twist in the standard o-rings to help in the support and the twist helps in the bounce ,,,o-rings can be bought any were in the world for pennies, so the idea they are similar is beyond me, chalk and cheese come to mind,they have evolved over several years,,,using 1000's of different o-ring types, (accept sme's version too expensive for me ) makes and compounds, but left with the black cheap version , so any one can buy them around the world,,,

please do not expect a fancy box, or Tin,
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 26-03-2019 at 11:06.

I'm Adrian.

OK so the rubber bobbins arrived from China today after 2-3 weeks at the cost of £1.97 M5-Male-Female-Anti-Vibration-Rubber-Mounts-Isolators

I already had the 25mm Sorbothane anti vibration feet SORBOTHANE-ANTI-VIBRATION-FEET-11-19-25-30-40-50mm-Turntables-Speakers-PCs

and I had some 2mm silicone rubber sheet

and the Loo rubber fitting for to fit and support the motor Close-Coupling-Washer-Doughnut-Stepped-Type-Toilet-Cistern-WC The Doughnut needs about 3/4" cut out of it and then it needs to be carefully and gradually trimmed using a stanley knife so that when it wraps around the motor the tube tightly slide s over the rubber. Be careful doing this.

First the Sorbothane feet and the 2mm silicone rubber are a last modification to the new feet (skateboard wheels - 4pcs-Skateboard-Wheels-52mm-100A-Skating-Board-Road-Wheels-PU-Wheels-32mm-width. I previously fitted the wheels replacing the original metal feet, I fitted them as Peter's instructions using using one of these V-Bush-Shock-Solid-Rubber-Mounting-Absorber-Dampener-ID-9mm-OD-23mm-L-16mm cut in half, ream out slightly and screwed onto the fitting that the metal feet come off. Originally I had the other half of the rubber bush in the bottom with a 3mm disc of sorbothane glued to it. This worked quite well and using an accelerometer I measured a reduction of vibrations to the platter by around 50%, having taken before and after readings. The resulting improved clarity and low end definition was the result.

After some thought I realised that have a sorbothane foot in the bottom instead would probably give better isolation and vibration absorption. Photos are below.

Use the rubber bushes to draw round and then cut out the rubber, the additional 2mm is needed as the weight on the 25mm sorbathane feet it too much and squashed them down too far.

Above Rubber disk fitted in the foot

Sorbothane foot fitted into the skateboard wheel

You can see above the compression on the sorbothane with the weight on it

As you can see I loaded up the spider with the platter and the chassis on top just to test the sorbothane was not compressing too much

Whilst I had it all stripped down I also fitted sorbothane disks/waskers around the pylons, they are sit on top of the bottom nuts and I find them to the nut using double sided tape. You then rebuild the pylon suspension with the rubber O Rings and rebuild the unit. the purpose of the sorbothane washers is to try and gain a bit more of vibration isolation and limit microphone through the chassis. Pete said it works and I believe him.

The final and most tricky job was to fit the rubber bobbins under the acrylic spacer that I have and adjust the SME arm. By fitting it as per the photo below it not only give better isolation to the arm itself from the chassis but also means that the arm pillar his now much lower in the clamp and thus better supported. You may also notice a 2mm silicone washer between the metal arm base and the acrylic, once again to gain as much isolation as possible.

So how does it all sound. Well I am very pleased with the result, feedback noise from the platter bearing to the cartridge I would say has been virtually reduced to nothing. The immediate most noticeable change is yet again an improvement in focus of elements of the soundstage, instruments are now very clearly defined in the mix. The other and very pleasing aspect is that bass is once again better defined and as clearer extension. I am currently listening to Santana - Amigo album and I have to say it it the best I have heard it on my systems. Just wonderful.

I think the timing may have improved due to the rubber support in the motor, also that is much quieter.

Finally, I just remembered to do my stupid test of taping the acrylic shelf my TT sits on whilst playing a record and see how loud the tapping is through the system. A big shock it is virtually inaudible, so the feet and other mods have had a major improvement to isolating the TT, MAGIC!

So my advise to all of you out there with a Gyrodec or Orbe is replace the feet and do the above, its not hard to do and costs very little. I would at least fit the rubber bobbins under your arm board, anything you can do to minimise feedback from the chassis to the arm is a big bonus.

Give it a go I think you will be amazed.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

i am glad that this has worked so well,,Michell will no doubt change the feet the suspension and several other things in the future ,,but remember where that all started at half the cost with no bells and whistles,added , since the gyro and orbe where made,, materials have moved on and the decks have stood still, both in time and development as development takes Time, so i am told, and money , the design is totally mine the IP 6055773 and took a long time to get correct

This thread is intended to help those who own the gyro or orbe wanting to enhance the deck on a shoe string ,,

The design of the pylons may be done with some thing less complected but will it have the strength? , or will it end up being a rubber bung with the deck sat on top hidden with the cap ,(in compression i do not know)

it is open to those who wish to try,, to re-tweak the upgrade to their design is fine by me ,,

The cost of my pylons is down to the true engineering that went into the design and not the use of a computer to see if the vibration was in the wrong pitch to hide the nose of the bearing , all i have are ears and use of friends , who would be honest enough to tell me if the pylons work or are rubbish , thankfully it is been 100 % good news,

The only way i can get the cost down is to have more than one order at a time, and then a discount happen, because of the machine shop setting up fees, 1 set is the same fee as for 10 sets , with Michell not making the holes one size fits all,, it has been impossible to do,
    ATB
    gwernaffield
    Last edited by struth; 09-05-2019 at 10:17.

I'm Michel.

Default and another happy user!

After reading all the positive reviews, went or ordered the kit with the pylons, rubber pads and the bearings. It arrived to Canada in less than 2 weeks. The installation took an hour and I’ve been living with these for a month now.

These mods do work and here’s what they did to my sound:

The separation of instruments became real apparent from the first needle drop and everything snapped in focus. Most of the time it felt like listening to unfamiliar mixes. Suddenly I heard instruments, which were previously buried, comes to life.

Spoken words became more articulated and therefore clearer than they ever been.

High and low frequencies are not extended. What I got instead is more definition all across the board. Although bass lines are now easier to follow and cymbals are quite distinguishable, I found the biggest impact in the mids where the information is more refined.

Isolation wise, I will only say that tapping on the turntable shelf is still amplified. This did not make any neither positive nor negative effect for that matter.

That said, I believe that the sum of all these changes do bring the table to another level. This will not change how the cartridge sounds but it will definitely change how it sings. Expect a third dimensionality to your listening experience. The space between and beyond the speakers will be filled with floating information. It will become real apparent what’s been recorded in and out of phase and what the engineers at the mixing console intended to achieve. The 3 d effect is just mind blowing.

Of course not all vinyl records are created equally (sadly) but these mods will bring out the best of what’s in the grooves.

Good job Pete!

Michel
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Deleted.

Can you put some of that into sentences please?
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast