+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Skate board feet by Mr Moon , using cheap skateboard wheels and 1/2 BSF Nuts

these stop the deck from moving , i did them a different way but MR Moons way is simple and cost effective, add some small sorbothane pads the the base of them for further vibration resistance if needed

Well Done MR MOON ,
    These feet are brilliant..originally the idea came from Peter..utilising inexpensive skateboard wheels of all things..The idea was to use the v-bushes..you can see this in Peters original idea but I wanted to keep the feet so they were still adjustable. The 1/2 inch BSF nuts are an interference fit, albeit quite a tight one...as they have to be tapped in with a mallet..but they work great towards reducing noise transference, from whatever the table is placed on..In my case it is on solid Granite, so these feet now don't move at all...as the tt could sometimes move with the solid cast aluminium feet, should the stand be accidentally nudged...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

HI all i have been asked if the covers will go back over the pylons when fitted , the answer is YES , the whole idea was so the covers would go back over ,as well as get rid of the springs ,

I'm peter.

Hello , with regards to a Double Pulley , i stopped using one due to the WOW i was getting from using 2 belts, and losing the 45 Rpm for some Lps, which meant i had to change it every time, i also have the Odyssey TT, that has been altered in several ways.
    all on here , as the New Pylons cut down on the wow and also now the improved design for the Feet from Mr Moon , it may not make any difference if you use one pulley or the double Pulley , if any one knows please leave your thoughts on here ,
    pete

I'm William.

Default Cheap upgrade for Michell gyro

So what can I say. Peter supplied the Pylons however because of bad manufacturing by Michell after fitting two of them it was quite clear that the third was was off centre by about 2mm. So an email to Peter and a bit of discussion and a replacement was provided that’s was off centre. It fitted very easy and so another success for Peter.

Well on testing it was soon apparent that that it was different. After to listening to a few more lps I decided that the distortion or colourisation that was missing and now I was hearing the real music for the first time, I used to think it was so good. Anyway, I’m using a mc with an suit with no impedance matching, but I never really noticed that it was a problem. So after adding some resistors to the primary for the recommended load. I was so much better. I know it’s a cliche it really was like a veil had been removed and just because of a few pylons. I say just a few pylons but obviously a lot of research and time and effort went into them. I have also changed the bearings for ceramic both the main and in the pylons as well has added the rubber to the pylons.

So all in all very successful and very pleased I would say a must for any gyro owner.

I then did some further research on the web and found that some suggested fitting a thin piece of rubber between the bearing and the platter. I tried this but did not like it. Because I happened to have a pylon ptfe washer that fitted the outside of the bearing surface I tried this. I liked what I heard. The only drawback is that the platter nut cannot tightened up. This does not seem to have any effect on it no wow or flutter, so at the moment it’s just the wieght of the platter holding it down which seems to be ok.

So all in all money well spent very pleased with result and I for one won’t be returning to the springs.
    Thanks once again Peter highly recommended.

I'm peter.

Hi All some thing was asked on PFM and a picuture of Gert Pederson parts was used(These look similar (but not as finished) to Pedersens who has been making them for years, whats the difference?) the reason is to some how pick at the pylons so here i go with the answer , NO i do not own a Gert pederson Gyro But know of some who does, and the comments were they move all over the place, This would be down to the design of gerts only using 3 large o rings, and also needing a pile of sand, plastic padding , string and holes to be drilled to stop them wobbling not my words but the owners, the string stops the chassis moving and the extra weight is added to the bottom of the chassis ,also filled in with sand and sand well added, you have to send you gyro to Gert to get this done ,He Will NOT sell his suspension separately i suspect it would not work with out all the sand and string , and yes they are all nice and polished steel , which will not stop the wow, unless the string is holding the chassis back , current price of Gerts upgrades are on line around about £600 -£850 with post ,
    for gert to do the deck him self it would be an extra £200, on top of the price which is for and orbe se,
    Now i come to the fact they are made of steel , you have taken a steel spring and replaced it with a solid steel holder , which hold 3 thick o-rings,which must RING

Now you come to the Pete's Pylons as they have been called By Tarzan ,but just pylons to me, , Yes you may not think they are as pretty as gerts ,but they dont Ring like Gerts either,
    they keep the chsssis from moving with out the use of string ,sand , and palstic padding , cost a 3rd or less than gerts no need to destroy the chassis, no need to add string and do not look like gerts use a different principal have taken 3 years and
    a lot of help from AOS members ,
    i hope this answers all THE CHRONICLES Questions, as the deck Gert Does looks and sounds Great But is it still a MIchell????? with all the holes, drilled ,weight added, and £160 armboard added, as well
    and i own the IP to these
    a Friends gyro now fitted,
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 28-02-2019 at 20:33.

I'm Sean.

I installed mine today - very straightforward. I'm an impressionable type so I'll be swapping back and forth for the next few weeks but they do seem to have made a positive difference: everything seems a little cleaner and more solid, and the slight graininess I was getting with voices is gone.

Not a regular poster here but wanted to thank Pete and report on my (early) findings.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Skate board feet by Mr Moon , using cheap skateboard wheels and 1/2 BSF Nuts

these stop the deck from moving , i did them a different way but MR Moons way is simple and cost effective, add some small sorbothane pads the the base of them for further vibration resistance if needed

Well Done MR MOON ,
    I am waiting for delivery of skate board feet, and rubber bushes I will then be fitting and trying out. At the same time I will be making another small but cheap change and will let you know about that after.

Everything I have done to my Gyrodec as advised by Pete has been an improvement so based on that I will be interested to see what these changes make.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm TAD.

Hi there, I've just applied a mod to the feet on my Odyssey. I used Target Audio speaker feet (years old, sitting in a drawer unused) under the Michell feet.The Michell feet sit snug inside the Target audio feet, which were designed for metal spikes and much more weight than the Odyssey generates. The Target feet then sit on top of SDS anti-vibration pads. Just now, also awaiting a granite slab offcut from a kitchen installer to finish off the base. If anyone wants a link to the feet then pm me.

Excellent work from Peter.

Kind regards.

T.

I'm peter.

Hi Tad great to see other people adding to this thread , that do not normally do this, and to see the thread is live and well, i am still convinced that there is more to do to the deck which should not cost a arm and a leg with regards to some how stopping the microphone affect , that has always been there ,any help in this is always wanted on here , if you know of any upgrades to any turntables you might as well add those ,

kind regards
    Peter

I'm peter.

Differences in the odyssey , the odyssey uses the same decoupling method as the Orbe using the case and a spider so the feet do not connect to the suspension only to the case/plinth , also the underside is heavily damped in all the webs , this make the deck heaver than the gyro and also a different sound, more precise, that is why i have never commented on the pylons , i have left it to the owners to do that , this is the underside of the odyssey from the factory , you will notice it is in every part of the chassis , the webs have not been done , so i have added some Caravan Mastic None setting stuff , it looks exactly the same as the new white version cost is £9 for a lot off ebay , before and after, more was placed around the bearing in nearly evey web and around the arm and motor sides , this is still being done , there is no ring out of the chassis,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast