+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    the problem is the gyro uses the suspension to keep the feet on , i read an old review were they complained the feet caused noise to travel into the chassis, and you could hear if the platform was tapped into the chassis ,
    also i was told by a user Aejoker on his gyro if he tapped the chassis he could hear the tap through the speaker , The answer was simple in the end to isolate the small shaft in the split adjuster (upgrade system ) in the Michell pylon , what i did not expect was it works as well with the orbe if you have a split suspension , the older type on the orbe , does not have the feet on the suspension or the new type,
    Michell has decoupled the suspension in the orbe , But not on the Gyro , 3 little pads will help stop 90% , it was there when the springs where is use and still there when the new suspension was added due to the Michell design
    Makes sense why its not a problem on my Orbe then!
    Well done on yet another verycheap mod which appears to work well
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Adrian.

I just tweaked the Gyrodec again, 8mm diameter by 3mm sorbothane glued to 1mm thick rubber place on the top of each suspension pylon and then the supports for the chassis (the threaded adjusters that the springs are normally on) fitted over them. This is to try and get some form of decoupling of the chassis from the legs which are attached to the pylons through the spider. Also my feet sit on small indented discs, I have glued some 2mm rubber under these as well.

Listening tests are that initially things sounded a little dry, then after listening to a few tracks I realised what has happened. There is obviously some form of better de-coupling due to the sorbothane/rubber in the pylons, the result is that there is less microphony (feedback) going on through the chassis enhancing and colouring the music. So bass is more defined (less bloom), overall more clarity and separation.

So a positive result. Not perfect, tapping on the shelf with a record playing still induces a noise through the cartridge, but I would estimate a 50% improvement. The only other thing I can think of is to replace the Gyrodec metal feet with some form of rubber feet, possibly firm sorbothane. I am going to search for some that may be a similar height and could be fitted in some way to the pylons.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Waiting on a new switch for my table (I have a temporary switch in place) but when that comes in and is replaced and I rebuild the table I am going to give this new tweak a whirl.

I have a Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole here which I use rarely any more as I just don't listen to digital much at this stage. It is a dual layer mat consisting of a very thin top layer of carbon fibre on top of a similarly thin layer of silicone. Designed specifically to reduce vibration.

So I've punched out and am ready to go. I also have an original Herbies Grungebuster CD Mat that I've also punched out. It is an extremely thin rubber material with a bit more adhesive on the underside and I may place a piece of that underneath the Black Hole material to prevent it from rotating or slipping underneath the ball bearing.

Will report back with results when it happens.

...what's happening Blake?..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm TAD.

Default feet

I know it's a bit out there, but what do you think of speaker spikes embedded in sorbothane hemispheres. I'm waiting in anticipation for parts from Peter to work on my Odyssey deck. I tried the odyssey feet into speaker spike protecters for wood floors. All this on top of a granite bass. Marginal difference but a solid base to work from. I'll keep you updated if you like. Kind regards. T.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    I know it's a bit out there, but what do you think of speaker spikes embedded in sorbothane hemispheres. I'm waiting in anticipation for parts from Peter to work on my Odyssey deck. I tried the odyssey feet into speaker spike protecters for wood floors. All this on top of a granite bass. Marginal difference but a solid base to work from. I'll keep you updated if you like. Kind regards. T.
    As I understand it the key issue is to stop vibrations getting to a turntable which will colour the music, most noticeable with low frequencies. If your Odyssey sits on a solid granite platform then it is pretty likely to be free from vibrations unless possibly it itself sits on a wooden floor which is subject to movement. If you need to de-couple it more then I would talk with Peter about rubber feet.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    ...what's happening Blake?..
    Sorry Alan:

No sign of the switch yet and swamped with work so have not done anything. Will likely be at least the end of next week before I can report on anything.

But will keep you posted.

I'm peter.

Blake if it dont turn up soon let me know , it is with Canada post , pete

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Blake if it dont turn up soon let me know , it is with Canada post , pete
    Thanks Pete! Not worried about it-Canada Post can be very slow, especially on simple normal delivery. Will let you know. I think it will probably show sometime early next week.

I'm peter.

making skateboard feet using the post off the original feet , buy the skateboard wheels off eBay ,£avrage is £9 , a V-Bush Shock Solid Rubber Mounting Absorber Dampener ID 9mm OD 23mm L 16mm, cut in half , and fit to hole in the center of the skateboard wheel , they will go in with a push , open the hole out , it need to be a tight fit or the Michell post will fall straight through , the with the Michell part fitted screw to the deck , now on the under side on the wheel fit the 2nd part , all the way into the wheel to stop the michell post pushing all the way through , you can super glue this to stop that happening ,

I'm peter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast