+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Alan.

Thanks Vince... the 6 hook version is excellent, they put the springs to shame on my set up ...I'll be receiving the new design in the next couple of days (Many thanks Peter..)and I will report back when I've give them a run out....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Alan.

New suspension fitted...and after some swapping and changing about with bearings and re-sizing the teflon washers, I have my tt sounding fantastic....the new design is outstanding....excellent work Peter......I have to give you 9/10 for these mate....saying that...I never give anyone 10/10...I wouldn't want anyone to get big headed...cheques in the post....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Andy.

Same here - listened to a load of vinyl this morning with the new suspension on and WOW - changed the ORBE into something a lot lot better.
    Seems to dig even more information out and the sound quality (to my ears) is second to none - a quick picture:

For me looks much better than the springs so the covers won't be going back on
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

Hi thank you both for doing this , i could not comment as the odyssey is already modified ,it would of not been fair to all the people who have read this, they do work exceptionally well with out the need to modify the chassis or add feet to get the very best i have ever listened to out of the deck, it has cost a fortune and been fun to do ,with more changes to designs to get the very best with out touching the £100 mark ,which it has well below that , the disappointment was the 3d ones that had problems keeping the sizes needed for the parts, and also allowing them to be cheaper , but they are being worked on , and may be offered as a composite set of 3d printed nut and delrin base,if you are interested just send me a pm ,if i can help i will but some parts are kept secret ,for my design sake, so here we go the Nut is a M10x1mm pitch with 6 slots in the side and counter bore.to make the base part , the base is 33.1 x 26,2 with a 22mm hole and a counter bore , if you want to make them ,
    sizes have been changed to protect the design , these sizes will fit if you want them too, but they are Not what i use
    p.s cost is £50 , due to a hike by the supplier of the parts, and post that adds up to £12 buy the time all the parts arrive and then sent out ,
    peter
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 27-11-2018 at 12:38.

I'm peter.

Best oil for your TT if you can adjust the speed , as it contains a friction eliminator ZX1 C76 Micro Lube 35ml Motorcycle Car Penetrating Pin Oiler on eBay

I'm peter.

The suspension parts are much more expensive , with the machining costs, than the hooks, with the new version , the hooked ones are no longer made,

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    The suspension parts are much more expensive , with the machining costs, than the hooks, with the new version , the hooked ones are no longer made,
    The hook versions were a big improvement on the original springs but the new machined versions are again a further improvement so the extra costs are well worth it
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

pylon up date , it seems like michell have changed the size on the 34,7 to 33.5 or their supplier , this was beyond my control , each set has been fitted to my odyssey before being sent out , if any one wants to send their set back please contact me and i will refund any payment or send a replacement ASAP , as i said these are still under continuing development to get the bugs sorted out , my apology for any inconvenience caused,
    the size was taken from the michell part so i will ask anyone who want these to check the size of this before ordering so i can get them made to that size,

Last edited by gwernaffield; 01-12-2018 at 15:08.

I'm Adrian.

Tales of the Unexpected

So yesterday a set of the 3 pillar suspensions arrived from Peter and this morning I was able to fit. The first unexpected issue was that they would not quite fit, that is to say that the bottom nut that the chassis hangs from was slightly too large, so a quick call to Peter and I measured them with gauges and guess what Michel have changed the size of the machined hole by 1mm. Never mind out came my trusty file and after 30 minutes of gentle whittling all 3 were pushed into their orifices. This was my choice as Peter was more than happy to get them replaced ASAP at his cost. Personally I could not see the point as it was a relatively simple task and wanted to see how good they were. Peter and I chatted on Skype whilst I did this about a variety of topic.

So about an hour later I had the deck level and had checked the set up of the arm and also adjusted the speed.

So the next unexpected thing was when I put on Peter Gabriel - So, WOW everything was just better, it seemed more detailed and controlled, bass more extended, and low mid is certainly more defined and soundstage is more open. Quite a revelation for such a small investment. Bear in mind that everything has not settled down yet, so this is a great result.

So what have I got to compare it with, well my system is pretty revealing and musical, to my ears anyway. A close friend has a very similar set up to me (same speakers, 300b amp but with a an SME turntable and V arm). Having heard his system at length I would now consider that the level of detail from mine is pretty close to his, so as far as I am concerned this is a major result.

So to sum up if you have and Gyrodec, Orbe or a GOrbe IMO you would be quite foolish to not do this upgrade, the improvement is significant. Next is the ceramic ball bearing for the platter bearing, and similar for the pillars, and the simple motor upgrade.

Thank you Peter for all you help, and it certainly was not you fault that Michel changed the hole size, simple for you to fix. The design improvement is great.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm M.

Got these from a company called Solidair audio top and bottoms are made from ebony wood, very similar to yours but much more expensive.so well done
    Martin

Sent from my K007 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast