+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Alan.

Now using the 6 hook/support ring version of Peters suspension towers...the top and bottom are engineered from delrin, quite a bit thicker than the 3 hook version.. the detail being let through is shiver up the spine stuff...fitted the new suspension today and used Dire Straits On Every Street LP to give them a run out...I thought I new this album inside out....detail I've not heard before...crisp super clear vocals...the guitars are almost valve amp like..and lordy, the bass is astounding..faster tighter and more musical..whilst digging real deep..real impressive stuff...adjustments are still an option and there is the option to switch back to the springs, should you wish too...but to be honest...the springs are going in the draw....The aluminium covers go back on perfectly...

[IMG]susp 2 by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by mad-moon; 31-10-2018 at 22:13.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Thanks Alan i hope you enjoy them , and yes they let you hear every last note on the LP ,they have even caught me out on quite a few LPs, they may not look pretty but you can hide them ,they give you all the music as it should be on a deck that now should be costing thousands of pound more, The Deck with in the designed engineering points and will not let it move off them there is no rotational movement of the sub chassis , the only sound is what the cartridge is putting out and that is every last bit of the LP ,
    the Gyro and the Orbe are now more stable than they ever have been ,there is a little bit of a give in the way the o-rings are put onto the hooks , and this stopped any thought of rotational movement so no need to drill and tap the outer chassis like Gert pederson , no need to change the feet as on ebay and then buy the pylon replacements , just fit and forget ,
    i have a new set on the way that may get rid of the hooks, or 50% of them, but i am not going to upload pictures yet until i have loaded them with at least 5kg of weight ,
    as usual money has got in the way ,and i have to wait for my favorite shop (china ) to send the parts. peter

I'm Deleted.

You could bypass the need for hooks altogether by making the top element from 10mm laser cut acrylic (with all the hook type cutouts included).
    Account Deleted

I'm peter.

all ready done that , no hooks at all in the latest ones, made of delrin but that is giving the game away lets say the latest ones may be 3d printed , i have had to redesign the base and the nut part , but that took some doing due to the weight of the orbe and
    acrylic cracks over time, does not take a thread as well as delrin , test one below , i am waiting on new o-rings and grub screws , bottom part not yet done due to3d printed version being made

I'm peter.

if any one wants the sizes please just send a message, i dont make these , it was not and is not a commercial venture, parts where bought from a vic scott on eBay , drawings i.e sketches my self , slots and drill holes done on a bench drill using a cross slide, vice a 3.5mm slot drill , there is only one set and this is it,
    o-rings from china,grub screws from china, etc ,

I'm peter.

This has been re-designed so now it will not need the grub screws ,

I'm peter.

Hi Alan , the new hook less versions are made and a set will be sent to replace the 6 hook version you have , i just hope they live up to these which have been great to hear, but the cost is too high the hooks have to be home made and take a while to do but you can never get them all the same, the new version is tapered from top to bottom the way the o-rings are held keep every thing central to the original suspension posts they are easily hidden by the caps and have taken this now to the final set up and design i am limited to do , oh and the o-rings do not require grub screws
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 19-11-2018 at 00:20.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    all ready done that ,
    Hmm, yes, I see you have now.
    Account Deleted

I'm peter.

Hi , well the design changed again so this time it is the last , they do not look like the ones above or need and grub screws , i talked to the local plastics company who would not recommend the the use of 10mm perspex , saying the nut would not last and would crack , so thank you for the offer , The new parts are made out of machined delrin , as there are 2 different threads that michell used on the decks , it was easy to just machine the delrin and have the threads done at the same time, one set in imperial for the older Orbe and one in Metric for Alan' s gyro and of course for the Odyssey , so thank you for the kind offer , but as i said in the beginning these are not for sale or a commercial venture at this moment in time ,so far there has been no distortion in and sound , like you said may happen with the belt , but as my odyssey has been modified over the last year the motor pod , the bearing top and bearing are no longer std ,i would not be able to honestly report that , so i have asked 2 fellow AOS uses to try these out and report back with their honest opinion , i have never met them ,
    ATB
    peter
    pete

I'm Vince.

I heard these over Alans yesterday and I heard a definate improvement over the steal springs. When the design is fully sorted I know which I will be fitting to my Gyro. Al was over mine on Friday and set my Gyro up properly (I had not since moving). Suffice to say......we played vinyl all day......Wow what an improvement. We normaly go between streaming, SACD, DVD Audio and vinyl, but the sound coming from the vinyl was jaw dropping. Just goes to show, I thought it was sounding good already, then, Whoosh. Detail, stereo image, image placement etc is fantastic. Cheers Al

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast