+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

i have just been on the michell web site it says Get Ready... Something Really Cool Is Coming Soon. Sorry for any inconvenience! To contact us please call: 02089530771,, i hope it is new upgrades but what price i dont no ,it may even be a new deck ,

I'm Stuart.

Default Motor Housing

Hi everyone, you've probably read this many times, but here's my experience....

Well I am smiling as I type this as I have been since Saturday when I fitted the seal to the motor housing.
    For me it was an unusually smooth, easy process (about 15 minuted start to finish), thank you again so much for the info & pictures which helped.

Well... Firstly I have never been entirely happy since I changed over to the DC motor ( like many others I imagine) I couldn't get on with the increased motor noise which I think after a relatively expensive upgrade does not bode well to start with.

Well with your update installed ....silence....really! I was grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Also, I do not know how, but the audio improvement was noticeable, one of my reference lp's ( Eric Clapton Unplugged) more background details & more clarity, even down to the backing singers;
    the audience (which is out of phase & a bit unpleasant to my ears) was much much kinder, even the resonance of the wood body of the acoustic guitar, more real.

Pink Floyd The Wall (side 3) ALL the background info now ( & there is a lot) Crystal clear, bass response improved, How? I don't know.

As you can imagine,hours were happily spent enjoying this upgrade of yours.

When I'm over this grinning stage, the Pylons will definitely have to be ordered.
    Thank you Pete.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent67 View Post
    When I'm over this grinning stage, the Pylons will definitely have to be ordered.
    Thank you Pete.
    Having done all the upgrades on my Gyrodec when I had it I would say you are in for a treat, especially with the pylons and ceramic balls.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

hi adrian , well stuart has done most of the upgrades and will be ordering the pylons from true point , he has just done the doughnut seal in the DC motor housing, he says it is very quiet , compaired to beforehand,

I'm Stuart.

Good morning Pete & all,
    Just another quick note of my updates to date.

Firstly thank you Pete for sending over the rubber version of the seal, real nice of You.
    I installed the seal in the housing & also re installed the foam type seal beneath it , which when you fit the housing base, both seals sandwiched, nice & firm, therefore no chance of movement.

Suffice to say I am real happy with the result - again.
    I've ordered the Pylons from Charles at True Point this morning (was going to wait until I was settled with the new sound, but can't) so really hoping this will make as positive upgrade as others have experienced & enjoyed.

Its been an educating & very happy few weeks.
    Thanks again Pete!

I'm peter.

Hi Stuart thanks for the feedback it is always welcome, good or bad, yes it is amazing how the doughnut seal helps to support the motor and also make it a lot quieter for the DC motor , the Rubber sock is now supported, with out any large amount of money being paid out , i know the pylons have now arrived , and you had a slight problem with the one of the casting holes being smaller than ordered , the other 2 fitting properly , the decision was to carefully file the pylon base to make it fit , part of the problem is that the Michell holes in the chassis are all different sizes, even though the bases are made to the sizes given , the holes in the chassis can be slightly tapered , or a small lump of casting has not been machined off , it is something Truepoint cannot foresee,we are here to help
    ATB
    pete

I'm Stuart.

Default Pylons Arrived

Hi Pete & all, as you know the pylons have been delivered & due to a fault with the T/T casting, there was a VERY minor issue fitting the rear pylon, well with a very little TLC its now installed.

I have left the T/T to settle & can't wait to get back to listening - feeling like a kid on Xmas eve........
    Be in touch real soon.
    Thanks

I'm peter.

Hi Stuart , it is getting to be a common issue , with the holes all being different , it is very hard to account for that , and impossible to make a std set for all, which can be done , how ever i don't like them being a loose fit,
    As it is true-point have to try and account for the Michell adjuster being any size from 9.9 mm to 10,3 mm depending on the chrome,
    To keep the price as it is and let true-point set the CNC up they are all made over size, then resized by a normal lathe on tooling ,
    i have been there and watched Charlie doing them ,
    it also means they can be adjusted to the size needed, how ever it is double machine time, which added to the price True point charges , but that is down to the Chassis being out. and then the position of the posts as well,

i hope you are happy a happy cat ,

ATB
    pete

I'm Stuart.

Hey Pete & everybody,
    Just a very quick note to say Pylons now installed (easily) & currently settling in.
    VERY tempted to give you my account of things to date, but many reference albums to go through (as we all do with this hobby) before I report back.
    Suffice to say " Things are good.
    Cheers.

Stuart

I'm peter.

Hi Stuart , i cannot wait , to see if they are as good as your expectations,.i like to read what owners have put good or bad, pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast