+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm peter.

Default Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

Hi i have just done some very cheap upgrades that really work to my gyro , changed the suspension tower ball bearing to Delrin 7/32 and that made a great difference the cost we £2.88 for 10
    Bought a ceramic ball bearing and replaced the 7/32 steal one with the ceramic one cost was about £6 , for 5 , added zx1 super lube to the oil a friction reducer cost was £6.90, this helped a lot in reducing the drag of the main bearing so much so i had to adjust the speed with the Nc power supply , also made a ptfe cartridge damper out of 1.5 mm sheet Teflon, cost £5
    all bought off eBay , and all work the first upgrade helped in the voicing, it cleared things up , the changing of the main bearing to a grade 5 7/32 bearing made a lot of difference as the ball is more rounder then the standard ball. so helped with any noise coming from the bearing , the PTFE damper worked great that made the bass have a bit more extension , i also bought some 50mm M5 Nylon cheese head screws£4 to replace the steel ones in the arm board , had a Delrin spacer made to go under the arm board a bit like the Gert Pederson one but cost less than £8 , the machining done on that by the supplier who charged me £10 for doing that so the total cost with machining was £18 all in , i also used nylon 2.5mm screws to lock the cartridge onto the tone arm , so the only thing that 'rings' is the cartridge , also added some 1.5mm sound dead matt to the inside of the tower covers, and 3 'o' rings to the bottom of them
    At each stage of these cheap Mods which can be reversed and not cost a fortune if you don’t like the results, but everything to me made a difference, to the sound quality and the depth of sound , i was hearing at very little cost. All bought off eBay
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 18-07-2017 at 10:32. Reason: spell check

+ Reply to Thread