+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm TAD.

wow! thanks so much for a comprehensive reply. I emigrated to Canada a few years ago and had the guys at Michell pack the deck in the original boxes etc., It's now nearly 4 years in the box, so , with winter upcoming, I need a project. Looks like I've found it! Thanks for your inspiration. When I come out of hibernation next spring, I may have a deck in play (sorry). Kind regards, Tad.

I'm Alan.

Wow...I'm using a set of Peter's new suspension towers....they work exceptionally well....I didn't think my Gyrodec could sound any better....I'm using the set with the delrin top and bottom supports....the three hook version, with silicon rings....Peter is going to upgrade them for me too to the 6 hook versions....I have more of everything...crisp detail, faster tighter bass, wonderful vocals and a superior sound stage compared to the standard Michell suspension towers.....It was a bit of a job, changing the suspension back and forth, trying them out, but the results are well worth the effort...quite a dramatic improvement...Thankyou Peter...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

thanks Alan , i will upgrade them as soon as they arrive back , with the 6 hook version you can use as many o-rings you want to get the deck the way you want it to sound, i will try and replace the red o-rings with black ones, this was a project worth doing ,
    the main reason for the six hooks was encase one of the o-rings snap the deck would tilt to one side, i was not happy with that, so went for the 6 hooks, if i could of got hold of smaller hooks there might of been 8 , so i have stayed with 6,
    gninnamag said they are better than the 3 hooks ,and wants to keep them on his orbe, which i am glad to let him , they started off as 3 hooks, i have a set on my odyssey that have the same result, i have 2 sets left and that will be that ,
    the cost in the end was around £35 per set , due to the increased hooks ,time , and o-rings , cost of post at £4.95p , not a bad upgrade to do , and the last i can think off , as i am not a business and this has been a bit to occupy my time,
    ATB
    peter

Last edited by gwernaffield; 21-10-2018 at 16:07. Reason: added pic

I'm Andy.

Yep - used the suspension with the 6 hooks and made a difference, with the 12 hooks even better - a very worthwhile upgrade at a very low cost.
    Found that the 12 hooks added more depth to the bass and an increase in the midband, more of everything really. In between tracks seemed quieter and also in quieter passages the noise floor also appeared to my ears to be lower so all good.
    A quick few pics:

Plus - I think they look better than the 6 hooks too
    Last edited by gninnam; 21-10-2018 at 19:17. Reason: Typed in a wrong number for the hooks
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

hi andy , well you will have to do with the 6 hook version as it is the last , as you know i cannot get the hooks made, so i have given up , you can add more o-rings if you wish , alan has put red black and red says he gets more bass , but he is using the 3 hook version so with the extra o -ring that will happen or you can always unscrew the hooks you do not want ,
    , so have fun . peter

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    hi andy , well you will have to do with the 6 hook version as it is the last , as you know i cannot get the hooks made, so i have given up , you can add more o-rings if you wish , alan has put red black and red says he gets more bass , but he is using the 3 hook version so with the extra o -ring that will happen or you can always unscrew the hooks you do not want ,
    , so have fun . peter
    Thanks Peter for doing this - so simple yet such a good upgrade. Shame the parts work out too expensive
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

hi mate the hooks are the thing that have stopped this ,at this moment , but you never no i may get it sorted, if you are trying to work out the 12 hook version is is simple there are 12 o-rings having 2 sides so 24 strands holding the suspension which if you want you can mix and match the o-rings with different compounds, or take some off , the adjuster becomes part of the system to help stop any movement ,but the part i cannot fix is the screw part of the adjuster the is under size by .25mm to allow for the pressure of the spring against the thread , now the spring has gone, the thread is loose, i suggest using the nut out of the spring as i lock nut to stop it moving like i have ,
    all the best
    peter

I'm peter.

there is another set done waiting to be tested if any one would like to try them just drop me a line
    peter

I'm peter.

there is now 2 versions of this due to the different threads on the older type although the M10 will fit but it is lose , so i had to alter some things to suit the imperial version which is the one with out the ball and adjuster Andy's Mk1 version which has the ptfe to tighten up the thread ,i had a set of old type given to me off Michell to try and that is when i found out they are different thread , but still the M10 version is under size ,still lose on the thread due to the way it is made ,to allow for the plating and spring pressure ,

I'm peter.

i have been asked By A Reviewer , did i mange to stop rotational movement of the sub chassis ,because of the use of 0-rings ,this was because Gert Pederson's Gyro uses Kevlar wire to stop this movement, his design is out side the pylon creating a pivot points for the o-rings to move, the design i made uses the original suspension posts , it is kept with in the engineering design points the covers will fit back on , having put that i looked at the design again ,there was no movement i tested this with a DTI ,but i had a concern that if the o-ring snapped it would drop the deck and may cause damage to the Cartridge, so i made the 6 o-ring version , with 6 hooks in either part , so if one or 2 o-rings snapped through being heavy handed when putting the clamp on it would not make any difference , i also made sure the Chassis would only move up and down when the clamp is fitted and cannot be twisted ,there is NO rotational Movement in my design , so no need to add wires, the design is kept with in the original suspension , requires no drilling , no special tools to fit , (but is a pain to fit new o-rings ) or added weight like plastic padding , sand etc , or feet , They are easy to fit and hide, the Deck can be returned back to Normal with out any Holes been left

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast