+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm TAD.

If carbon fibre is used as a dampening medium then why not have a complete ring of carbon fibre instead of the arm spacers, and leave the arm board as is. Any thoughts??
    kind regards.
    Tad.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    If carbon fibre is used as a dampening medium then why not have a complete ring of carbon fibre instead of the arm spacers, and leave the arm board as is. Any thoughts??
    kind regards.
    Tad.
    Yes that’s probably one of the best options, BUT have a look at the cost of a piece of carbon fibre big enough and the the cost of having it machined. I think it may be prohibitively expensive for most, but if you can afford it then why not.

I know someone who works at an F1 factory, and what they throw out you would not believe, so I am going to ask if that may be a possibility of a getting a piece. But machining it cheaply won’t be easy.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

just cost Tad. this was expensive and is 22mm thick , i used the michell arm board as a template , had to use i longer screw to earth the arm and the board , i have not seen any thing as thick on ebay since,

I'm TAD.

Thanks for the input. I may have a guy here in Montreal who would be prepared to do this work, (friend of a friend etc.,). watch this space, i.e. next month!
    t.

I'm TAD.

Dear Adrian, if you can get a piece of CF, may we make arrangements via PM?. Thanks so much for your efforts. T.
    Last edited by TAD12; 17-03-2019 at 15:24.

I'm Adrian.

I will see what my mate says, it may not be possible.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

I'm TAD.

I see what you mean about the cost. additionally, as it's an import from the USA, there is import tax and duty to pay. about 20% for starters. I'm going to have a good look here in Montreal to see if any interest. How does sheets of sorbothane glued together and cut to size appeal? From previous comments appears this may be too soft and not stiff enough. As always, you can request me to stop, but I like new approaches and ideas, just in case you had not guessed!
    kind regards,
    T.

I'm peter.

HI tad the sorbithane is like a jelly with a skin on hence the different duro rating i have only used 50 duro , hard to find 70 or 90 ,you can buy sorbothane Bobbins but the thread is M6 and not the M5 needed, so a special reducer would have to be made,
    https://www.thorlabs.com/locations.cfm
    These have sorbothane at 70 duro , also trying to glue sorbothane is a swine, super glue cracks, it depends on what you are trying to create i used 3 sorbothane washers under the arm board onto the base and passed the bolts through , but when you tighten it up they just went to mush , hence the bobbin idea , but i think if you use the bobbins you will need 6 all together as i found movement in the ones i have ,so i put 3 nylon spacers which just slide in to stop this , now it is 100% magic
    kind regards
    pete

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...tgroup_id=6421

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...1867&pn=BMF4/M
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 18-03-2019 at 14:38.

I'm TAD.

Pete, thanks for the update. T.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast