+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Hi ALL to carry on with the small tweaks , pegwill has been in touch with one which he will upload the details off , but to use the michell PTFE washer on top of the bearing this seems to cut down on any noise off the bearing , being passed into the platter , i may try sorbothane washer which i have to make and get back with the results, just concerned that the sponginess of sorbothane may cause the platter to wobble,

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Hi ALL to carry on with the small tweaks , pegwill has been in touch with one which he will upload the details off , but to use the michell PTFE washer on top of the bearing this seems to cut down on any noise off the bearing , being passed into the platter , i may try sorbothane washer which i have to make and get back with the results, just concerned that the sponginess of sorbothane may cause the platter to wobble,
    This is another superb tweak and believe me..it is letting more detail through yet again..better sound stage...better stereo image...wonderful...I've tried three different washers....the ptfe which is an exact fit round the rim of the bearing housing top...a rubber one..pretty much the same fit as the ptfe..but I have gone with a fibre washer..which is only 21mm OD...17mm ID..and only 0.9 mm thick...it works for me...exceptionally well....I'm just wondering now, if it can get any better...every tweak is giving and giving

[IMG]FIBRE WASHER by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Blake.

My switch finally arrived in the mail and tech installed it so rebuilt the table today with the isolation mod on the suspension posts. Ended up with an almost constrained layer approach using an 8 mm washer on top of the Herbie's Black Hole carbon fiber/silicone sandwich on top of another piece of very thin Herbies material punched from an ancient Herbie's Grungebuster CD mat.

So photos, in order are post with CD Mat material, then black hole damping material followed by the washer on top. The ball bearing in the suspension post tends to rest primarily in the hole of the washer and be somewhat supported by it; I felt that this might be a good idea in terms of preventing it from really digging into the more compliant material and chewing it up.

First listen is promising-I'll report back in a few days after some more extended listening time.

I'm peter.

Hi Blake , i no they are the split suspension but is the top of the small post on yours flat or recessed to take the ball, ?
    i am glad to hear the switch turned up ,
    pete

I'm Blake.

Hi Blake , i no they are the split suspension but is the top of the small post on yours flat or recessed to take the ball, ?
    i am glad to hear the switch turned up ,
    pete
    Hi Pete:

I have the recessed posts. I've done a fair bit of listening today. It's difficult when you make one change so quickly after another and I have not had the pylons in play all that long.

Bear in mind also that I have a plinthed Gyro with the motor attached to the plinth and then the feet/suspension posts attached to the plinth as well, so the benefits that I might get from this latest tweak may outweigh those with a SE type Gyro. Just more chances for vibration to feed into the suspension in my version of the table.

But I am liking what I'm hearing. With the Herbie's material used to isolate the two posts from one another I seem to be getting a much more fleshed out presentation. It's hard to describe but the effect is really positive. It's almost like there's more "texture" to the music and you can hear more into the performance at the same time. More detail and more relaxed and natural at the same time. Music just flows better as well-it brings to mind the Linn "PRAT" thing.

Definitely not in the league of the pylon upgrade but a real positive nonetheless.

I also punched some discs out of one of those small rubber mats you use to take stubborn locked on lids/caps off bottles and jars. A little more dense and slightly thicker as well with these but not much and the positives were not anywhere near what was achieved with the Herbies material-I felt the sound was a bit thinned out and hi-fi-ish with these in place of the Black Hole material. But some might prefer that presentation as this is such a subjective hobby. In any event, there's clearly something in it in terms of isolating this way and different materials are likely to have very very different effects on sound quality I think.

I also experimented with another Herbies product on the underside of the platter where it interfaces with the main bearing. This was not a success for me as I found it kind of tipped up the presentation and smeared things at the same time so I reverted to the standard setup there. Maybe I just had the wrong material there but that one just did not work out for me.

I'm peter.

Hi All after a day spent trying to upgrade the upgrade, i have given up on that, they are the best i can make them at this moment in time,
    But in the way of trying to stop the microphone affect which is a design flaw of the suspension it self and the Turntable, i think i am just about there , it would involve the following 3x 20mm x6 mm duro50 sorbothane washers with a 10mm hole in the center , 3 31x1.5 cross section o-rings silicone duro 50 , disassemble the pylon , remove the ptfe washer fit a red silicon o-ring , and then slide the sorbothane washer on top of the base fit the adjuster through the middle , and assemble the pylon back together , then fit the lot back onto the chassis, when level , push the sorbothane washer onto the top of the base, so now it is touching the base and the adjuster , job done, the bearing needs to be tight to the chassis to stop it moving from sided to side, the washer on the top of the bearing did not work on my deck as i found it caused the platter to wobble up and down , but it did not do it with the ptfe one, as for the pylons them selves i think i could never go back to the springs, regardless of the microphone affect , and cannot do any more to the Turntable , it now sounds better to me than ever , but we all hear differently , what is fine by me may be crap by others, even a change in the o-rings , adding rubber pads, adding string , etc all will have an effect , some positive and some rubbish , but at least now we have the option to do that , where with the springs we did not and facing hundreds or thousands to get a better turntable when all it needed was the pylons replacing in the first place,
    all the best peter
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 19-02-2019 at 13:45.

I'm peter.

i was thinking of putting this together as a pylon system to include the ceramic bearings x4 with 36 o-rings, 3 nuts 3 bases and 3 sorbothane pads, 3 ptfe washers ,
    pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 23-02-2019 at 19:47.

I'm Adrian.

i was thinking of putting this together as a pylon system to include the ceramic bearings x4 with 36 o-rings, 3 nuts 3 bases and 3 sorbothane pads, 3 ptfe washers ,
    pete
    A great idea, anyone who has a Gyrodec of Orbe really needs to do this simple but extremely effective upgrade. It take the deck to another level of clarity and definition in my opinion.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

Smile skateboard feet

Skate board feet by Mr Moon , using cheap skateboard wheels and 1/2 BSF Nuts

these stop the deck from moving , i did them a different way but MR Moons way is simple and cost effective, add some small sorbothane pads the the base of them for further vibration resistance if needed

Well Done MR MOON ,

I'm Alan.

pete
    All the tweaks on the table are excellent...but this one with the pylons kit is by far the best thing you can do for your turntable. This upgrade brings your turntable imho, into the 21st century...The design of the table is good to start with, however it is an age old design and the new design pylons by Peter, bring it to life..In ways you can't imagine.. on a personal note..My turntable is sounding exceptionally well..a weighty, crisp clear presentation...The other interesting thing about all the tweaks and upgrades, should you in the very unlikely event, wish to move your turntable on at anytime, everything is easily returnable to the turntables original factory condition..excellent stuff...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast