+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Tested and working , so i will make them if required

I'm Steve.

Default Hi

I would like a set of these as well I have a Gyro 1993.
    Just know how to proceed.
    Many thanks

Steve

I'm peter.

Another happy camper and new Aos member

Hi Pete,

The fit is good, with easy movement up and down.

I can’t see any misalignment that hinders the operation of the pylons.

Your help, advice and service have been exemplary.

There is a much greater clarity and distinction between each instrument/voice.

Bass is much improved, both in depth and solidity, something I’ve always looked for to get the most out of my transmission line speakers.

For me, I’ve still got some work to do dialling the arm back in – I seem to have lost a bit of the treble sparkle, but I’m over the moon with the pylons.

You deserve all the credit your get and more!

Kind regards, fingle

I'm peter.

oldest gyro now done 33 years old, and a happy camper and lives in Canada, new pic to follow

Last edited by gwernaffield; 19-01-2019 at 00:25.

I'm peter.

these are the sizes that i need to know, if you can take them off the chassis the better , if yoy take it off the spring retainer or the cap , the chance is they will be wrong ,

I'm Blake.

Table above is mine-that photo was taken in the evening in poor light conditions so I've attached a couple of better shots taken today to give a slightly better impression.

To say that I'm pleased with Pete's suspension modifications would be an understatement. I had a chance to listen last night for about 3-4 hours and another hour or so this morning to recordings that I am very familiar with and the improvements are significant.

Detail retrieval, separation of instruments, intelligibility of vocals, the ability to follow bass lines and low frequency information have all taken a pretty significant jump in performance and the whole presentation has a much more effortless, controlled feel and sound to it, particularly with dense and very dynamic recordings where low level detail seems to really emerge in quieter passages and huge dynamic swings are rendered with much lower distortion.

I might be imagining it (don't think so), but I also believe that surface noise has been further reduced, which I have never felt was a weakness in my setup before.

It's quite impressive and really a no brainer I think for anyone wanting to wring more performance out of their Gyrodec. These are a tight fit (notwithstanding the problems Pete has had as a result of variances in sizing from Michell over the years) and a bit different than working with the standard spring set up but the efforts are worthwhile.

I should also say that Pete was a real pleasure to work with in terms of his communication; he really encouraged me to get the measurements right so I ended up borrowing a set of digital calipers from a friend which resulted in a smooth transaction. The original measurements I took with a steel ruler would probably have resulted in a lot of grief.

I'm Alan.

Your Deck looks fabulous Blake..immaculate in fact..and of course sounds as good as it looks I'll wager...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Blake.

Thanks Alan! I picked this Gyrodec up for a song at an auction in 1985-it was a few years old then and is a very early model actually having soft feet at the time I purchased it-and then had to put a bit of money into it (but it was still quite a bargain) to get it into working order. Over the years it has been upgraded with most of Michell's modular upgrades: platter, bearing, suspension posts. And I've of course changed arms and cartridges over the years. It has been a real source of enjoyment for more than 33 years now.

It still sports the original AC motor, which has a 1981 stamped manufacturers date on it.

I've always been pleased with the sound of it but am even more so now thanks to Pete's ingenuity. He has really come up with something in terms of this new suspension and is to be commended.

I'm peter.

Thanks Blake i am to please, now people may not see this as a joke, or they are a piss take, they do exist , they took a while to get correct , and i learned a lot with every set done, it was a pity that Michell never kept to the sizes , that would make the job easy but every one is different in one way or another, it can never be a commercial product always a bespoke one,
    The orbe i had a problem with has been sorted , with a smaller base in one or of the holes because of the spider being out by 1mm, that locked the adjuster up so tight he could not turn any of them but now he is a happy camper , i hope they Bring you Hours of pleasure ,

all the best
    pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 20-01-2019 at 12:36.

I'm Steve.

Default Hi

Hi Pete
    Can you send me a pm about the pylons please. I cant seem to pm you as yet.
    Thanks.

Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast