+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

As you are aware , I have changed the O rings over to EPDM , After talking to the suppliers,, the cross section is thicker ,, on the new version of the one size fits all the hole these pass through has now been made bigger ,, due to a couple of comments that the deck had lost its sparkle ,, After fitting the pylons, to an Orbe,, with further help from a couple of users it was found the O ring was touching the chassis in the base , this had a damping effect on the chassis,, causing it to become flat sounding ,, loosing its sparkle , which has now been rectified, thank you simonpeps ,,for your feed back ,, and thank you Mr moon for yours,,there were only 2 sets sent out like this as a Test ,, which has helped in the final sets being corrected for the new O rings,, fitted and every thing is fine now,,

The Only reason for the change in from NBR to EPDM is because the supplier asked if they were in sunlight which I could not answer ,,on the suppliers recommendation I have changed to EPDM , that is all ,,
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 19-06-2019 at 10:13.

I'm Alan.

The newer EPDM o-rings are excellent......As Peter pointed out, the thicker ring was indeed in contact with the chassis, which did dampen the sound considerably...I opened up the holes in the bases slightly, so the rings cleared the chassis and lovely jubbly again...They are a stronger o-ring all together and less susceptible to degradation....also...I have not had to adjust the suspension at all since fitting them....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Hi Mr Moon , I am glad you like this,, I have just had some acrylic spacers in black arrive, to be used on any armboard as a spacer ,,, but will need to be drilled by the owner ,, as I cannot supply them drilled,, just add bolts and a rubber gasket ,, they are 10mm thick ,,
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 24-06-2019 at 15:11.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Hi Mr Moon , I am glad you like this,, I have just had some acrylic spacers in black arrive, to be used on any armboard as a spacer ,,, but will need to be drilled by the owner ,, as I cannot supply them drilled,, just add bolts and a rubber gasket ,, cost is £15 plus post ,, they are 10mm thick ,,
    Might want to try with and without a rubber gasket, having experimented a bit more and chatted with a couple of other people about this, the rubber gasket might isolate the arm so much that it stops it from loosing resonance/vibration into the chassis and effectively cause feedback from the arm back into the cartridge. However it may be better with a rubber gasket based on the amount of resonance/vibration in the Gyro chassis that I measured. On a different TT I have found not using a rubber gasket between the chassis and the armboard produces best results, IMHO. It is also likely to vary dependent on what arm is being used as they all have different damping characteristics.

Just a thought.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

HI Adrian these are just a DIY thing , they are 10mm thick with a diameter of 116mm x 85mm hole,, you have to drill the 5mm holes your self ,, the rubber gasket is also not drilled,, hence the cost ,,also as it sits it is just a spacer ,,it is upto the people who buy them to complete them ,, as I do not want any problems,, these are just a armbord spacer ,, which need the Michell armboard to copy the holes off ,, and longer bolts by 10mm in length ,, 100% cast acrylic armboard now being made, 30mm thickness waiting to be drill for sme,, will not be polished, as it ,, only ,,
    with longer screws ,,

ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 25-06-2019 at 13:07.

I'm peter.

completed Cast Acrylic arm board with Carbon fibre decal ,SME Cut , made from 30mm acrylic ,

I'm Alan.

That looks pretty good to me Pete....I'll be giving this a go for deffo.....I quite like the look of the unpolished acrylic too...

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Hi they are both unpolished, straight from True Point ,,yesterday , drilled and tapped using the SME Cut Michell armboard as a template , ,, one screw has to be longer ,, which will be with the arm board ,,it has to be longer so you can use the earth wires off the arm and chassis,,
    the Carbon fiber is just a vinyl sticker which can be removed,, and replaced with some real carbon fiber if needed at extra cost,,

This is a proper acrylic arm board and not a spacer ,, or a copy of Gert Pederson's ,, it has been threaded to take the M3 screws ,, For the SME Arms,, the weight is very near the same weight as the Michell aluminium arm board ( about 10grm less until the sticker is added) it is 30mm in height to reduce any movement in the arm post ,,
    ATB pete

I'm Alan.

New armboard winging its way to me...

I'm peter.

I have been checking on delrin and if can be recycled, and it can be , so the pylons are a recyclable product , no need to knock down trees ,,
    even the EPDM can be recycled,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast