+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puritan PSM 156

I'm Chris.

Default Puritan PSM 156

This is a mains purifier.

One of its claims (supported elsewhere on the Internet) is the removal of DC offset. My mains has only 5mv DC offset so I cant make an informed comment.

Where I have found it amazing, is in cleaning the mains supply, particularly noise introduced by Switched Mode Power Supplies SMPS

Brief History
    I have been into Hi Fi for over 50 years. My system has evolved over those years and as the system got better all the normal attributes of Hi fi improved.
    About 5yrs ago I was able to set up a dedicated listening room, but ironically this is when I became aware of an underlying harshness (glare) to everything I listened to. So in a traditional fashion I changed bits of gear (mainly valve stuff), then interconnects and speaker cables, then treated the room with adsorbers and diffusers, then tackled component isolation. All the while I moved the system around the room to search out the best location. I even got my ears syringed in desparation

After all this time and effort, improvements to the Hi Fi were marked, but that slight glare still invaded all my listening, meaning my music sessions never went past 90 minutes. - Sad.

The Cure
    Recently I became aware of the damage that SMPSs do to the quality of mains power, injecting high frequency mush back into the supply. A quick count up of my house revealed about 30 SMPSs not including my neighbours.
    They were all invasive - 3 Alexas, 8 chargers, computers etc etc, even on one of my DACs and First Watt pre-amp.

As best I could, I turned off every SMPS and listened again. The improvement to the enjoyment of the music improved enough to justify the purchase of a Puritan PSM156

This was a revellation. My system now sounds fantastic and I listen for many hours without feeling the need to go and do something else.

Specifically music seem more real, more relaxing, more enjoyable. I see reviews elsewhere claiming more bass, better instrument separation etc, but I see it much more simply. Removing the MUSH has let the system breath

Attributes

1. Silences within music and between tracks are blacker. Sometimes it seems like the whole system has turned off.
    2. With MUSH removed everything is better defined
    3. With MUSH removed small detail is revealed. This shows itself at the boundaries of the soundstage meaning the soundstage itself is wider and deeper
    4. I can plug my Hi Fi SMPS devices alongside everything else with no downsides
    5. My system sounds the same no matter what else is turned on in the house or what time of day.
    6. The cost is spread over 5 devices so its easier to pursuade yourself its good value
    7. I have lots of experience and you will just have to trust me that spending this money on any other component(s) would have got nowhere near this improvement

Caveat
    The Puritan PSM 156 takes several hours to burn in
    It can be left powered on 24/7, consuming just 0.2W of electricity
    This device worked for me in my system. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by bumpy; 04-01-2024 at 08:50.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm James.

What was the difference between listening to your system with all the SMPS switched off and then using the Puritan PSM156?

Did you get a bigger improvement with just switching off SMPS or did it only happen when using the Puritan PSM156?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What was the difference between listening to your system with all the SMPS switched off and then using the Puritan PSM156?

Did you get a bigger improvement with just switching off SMPS or did it only happen when using the Puritan PSM156?
    I think switching off my SMPSs alone got me about 40% of the way to a full solution in all aspects. Bear in mind that about 10 to 15 of my SMPSs are built into essential kit that I didn't turn off (despite having a fairly tolerant wife) and, as was pointed out to me, the mains feed to my house would already be corrupted by every other neighbour on that supply. SMPS are cheap and more and more are built into most electrical devices.

Interestingly advocates of SMPS for hi fi say they can be built to a spec that sounds as good as a linear supply. I can believe this, BUT nowhere can I find if this reduces the MUSH back into the mains as well.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Phil.

the 156 is on my bucket list too
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

The 156 is a quality product based on sound electronic engineering priniciples and works well no question, easily measureable in curcuit and out.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Phil.

just managed to get one so we shall see what difference it makes to the EIX dac /pre
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread