+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TEAC VRDS 701T - Review

I'm Martin.

Default TEAC VRDS 701T - Review

I took delivery of this unit yesterday morning and have already put a fair few hours on it. Still, it's maybe a bit early to do a review but there's nothing else out there right now as this is a new product, so I thought I would post up my thoughts so far.

You can read TEAC's blurb here on their website https://teac.jp/int/product/vrds-701t/top

I was looking for a replacement for an Audiolab CDT6000 transport for two reasons. Firstly I find the slot-loading irritating. I often listen in low light and sometimes it's really hard to find the slot - as the bishop said to the actress. I don't like the way it grabs the disc, or how it spits it out.

Secondly I'm not keen on the look of the Audiolab. It's not an expensive unit in the scheme of things, so you can't expect too much, but I don't like the blue display which looks like surplus from 1990s washing machine stock, or the utilitarian fascia.

Thirdly (okay, there's three reasons) the 'eject' button is clustered with the others meaning instead of pressing 'play' I sometimes eject the disc I have just put in.

So first world problems it's true, but why have something that irritates if you don't have to?

I spent a while looking for alternatives. Surprisingly there are quite a few CD players and dedicated CD transports on the market and new ones seem to appear every couple of months. My criteria were:

No blue LEDs or displays
    No LCD screens
    Must be draw loading or top loading
    Must look good overall.

Price wasn't really a factor, I was happy to pay as little as possible but I was prepared to go quite high to get exactly what I wanted.

Sadly, there's some dreadfully ugly or painfully bland equipment out there these days, at all price points. This meant the conditions I imposed reduced the choice to just two options. Moon 260D https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...-transportdac/ or this TEAC unit.

The Moon looks just a bit too blingy in the modern idiom whereas the TEAC has more of the old school 'Faux Pro' look with its grab handles and orange display, which appeals to me. So, selection made.

Build Quality:

This is TEAC's flagship unit and costs the thick end of 2 grand. So you'd expect this to be top notch. Is it?

Well, nearly. The case is solid and well made, but the grab handle are only for show and the manual warns against using them to pick up the unit.

The drive system is, of course, the latest TEAC VRDS anti vibration device (the clue's in the name) but the draw itself is as plasticky and flimsy as something you would find on a no-brand DVD player. Okay so this makes no difference to sound quality but in my view it's not acceptable on a 'flagship' unit.

Otherwise though, no further complaints. The unit is solid and heavy, there's no flex whatsoever in the back panel, and the mech is totally silent in use. The anti-vibration feet are aesthetically acceptable. There's been a trend away from using proper 'Japanese' feet on equipment recently, which is dismaying.

I'd like the option to rack-mount but due to the design of the side panels (see photo below) that's not possible, the unit will need a tray.

The manual is substantial and does include diagrams of both front and back of the unit with all features labelled. I have noticed that some manufacturers don't seem to feel the need to provide these anymore. Wrong!

Disc reading is fast, not quite as fast as CD players from the 80s or 90s, but you're not standing around for ever whilst it whirrs and clicks like R2-D2. Some units are unacceptably slow in this regard.

Only CD and MQA CD (good luck!) are supported, there's no provision for SACD or DVD-A.

Inputs are Coaxial or optical SP/dif. only, no AES or anything exotic. You can attach an external master clock though, and there is trigger option to turn it on and off with other devices at the same time.

I've attempted to take some close up pics of the device:

Sound Quality:

Equipment used -

Topping E30 DAC
    Philips ABH 280 pre-amp
    Krell KSA 50S power amp
    JM Lab Focal Elektra 926 loudspeakers
    Cables - Bigbottle Spotfire analogue interconnects and speaker cable. Gotham coaxial digital cable.

Some of the recordings used to demo:

Michael Jackson - 'Thriller'
    Was Not Was 'What's Up Dog?'
    Black Grape - 'It's Great When You're Straight, Yeah.'
    Donald Byrd - 'Street Lady'
    Jethro Tull - 'Heavy Horses'

Okay - so it's a CD transport, noughts and ones, there's no analogue output - so how can it have a 'sound'?

Well from a technical point of view there's two possible ways - it could transmit noise from its power supply along with the digital signal (unless using optical connection). Or it could corrupt the digital signal causing increased distortion.

You wouldn't except either of these to be the case in any competently designed transport, unless the build budget was just too low to do it properly. Obviously that can't be an excuse with a transport costing £2K.

Nevertheless I did perceive the TEAC to sound different to the Audiolab it replaces, although certainly my totally subjective comments below should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Initially I was a little underwhelmed compared to the Audiolab. The Audiolab is quite 'enthusiastic' in its presentation, whereas the TEAC is more laid back. As time went on and I acclimatised I felt that the TEAC, although giving a drier presentation, was a more relaxing and involving listen. Small cues like the ambience of the room or vocal booth around a vocalist are more obvious. Bass seems a little deeper, more solid and forceful.

This was all very subtle and if you are thinking about upgrading from the Audiolab to this purely for sound quality I think I would say save your money. Although the small differences may still be worth it to you, especially if you do find the Audiolab a bit fatiguing in a long session.

The TEAC/Topping combo reminds me a lot of the Sony SCD XB790QS that used to be my daily driver until it got temperamental - detailed, sophisticated and slightly sweet.

Conclusions:

It's not the 1980s anymore and 2 grand for a component doesn't get you as much as it did back then, when you could get some top end Sony ES for that kind of money. And make no mistake, that Sony flagship stuff still sits above this TEAC for build quality, although it would probably be up in the five figure price bracket nowadays - maybe not really comparable.

So let's not expect too much. A more solidly made loading tray should have been provided, otherwise, for the money, it's acceptable.

The look is great IMO, but of course that's totally subjective.

Sound quality is flawless, as you'd expect. To sum that up I'd say 'Dry, slightly laid back, slightly sweet, detailed, refined.'

Maybe that would change with a different DAC, lots of potential fun there for the chronic box-swapper.

On balance, if you want a good looking high end transport, I can recommend this TEAC.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Nice write up. It could of course be early days so far as SQ is concerned and as you say a different dac may well bring a different presentation. This is my experience anyway.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Good write up Mart. Ok I'll be the first to say it: Maybe the sound will change after a few more hours of burn-in

I don't agree with your comments about how we shouldn't expect much from a transport that "only" costs £2k - that is a fair bit than most would throw at a decent player. And the Sony ES player you mention, was probably the price it was due to the economies of scale (or rather lack of) - I'm betting that if they brought it out now using the exact same components (or modern equivalents) the price wouldn't be much different.

Could the 'plasticky' draw be a necessary part of the whole VDRS thingy? Maybe other materials weren't compatible due to weight or resonances. Just a thought.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

the new external mercury cd rom burner i got has a all metal case but a plastic drawer too, although its fairly chunky. i think much of it is lg made tbh and have to say its very quiet and has great sound/pics etc, so it may be plastic for a reason; im inclined to think its for saving dosh tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Interesting read. Sounds like it's up to the job! See how it gets on with other DACs if you can mate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent write up Martin.

Regarding 'burn in', that should only take a couple of hours at the most, but if you are that concerned put in a disk, select continuous play (if you can do that) and leave it to run overnight.

I too would be interested to know how it performs with other DACs.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I only have one other DAC, a Soncoz SGD-1, which cost considerably more than the Topping but to me sounds exactly the same.

Maybe I will swap it in next weekend and report back.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Good write up Mart. Ok I'll be the first to say it: Maybe the sound will change after a few more hours of burn-in

I don't agree with your comments about how we shouldn't expect much from a transport that "only" costs £2k - that is a fair bit than most would throw at a decent player. And the Sony ES player you mention, was probably the price it was due to the economies of scale (or rather lack of) - I'm betting that if they brought it out now using the exact same components (or modern equivalents) the price wouldn't be much different.
    True, Sony were a huge hi-fi operation back them, but that ES kit was all made in Japan whereas modern day TEAC have the cost advantage of manufacturing in China.

I'd think those two things would at least cancel out, but maybe not.

I have a Sony X505ES player here and there's no question it's a league above the TEAC. All metal disc drawer and little LEDs embedded in the buttons to indicate use.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-X505ES.html

And that wasn't even the top of the range back then!

Nobody is doing anything like that now, not at any price.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I only have one other DAC, a Soncoz SGD-1, which cost considerably more than the Topping but to me sounds exactly the same.

Maybe I will swap it in next weekend and report back.
    that has a balanced connection i think.. got reasonable writeups
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

I did buy the Moon and only had it less than 3 weeks. It was absolutely incredible sounding and would still have it but it developed a fault or possibly from new but the dealer refused to replace it as it wasn’t the distributors (Renaissance Audio's) policy and they insisted on inspection and repair. Maybe would have been ok had I not have lived over 300 miles away!!!

In the end I had to point out the sale of goods act and I my amazement the dealer emailed me on Saturday saying they’d ordered me a new one, but on Monday RA said 'no new one' had been ordered and by Tuesday the dealer emailed me to apologise for misleading me!

I still don’t understand why they were happy to refund me but not replace as I could just simply have ordered another one, especially as I paid on finance so they actually had to send me the cash!

Very annoying as it was the best cd replay I’d ever owned.

I since ordered the Denon DCD-A110 from a proper dealer, Fanthorpes but am still waiting for that atm!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast