+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Default solid block of Carbon

the arm board is a solid 22mm thick piece of carbon fiber and is roughly 120mm x 120mm square when it arrived from the eu , i have uploaded pictures to prove it as it is not a piece of wood with a vinyl sticker on , it has 5 coats of clear and polished , the rack you see in the other picture was made by wilson b and has CF legs but the shelf that looks like CF is glass covered with vinyl , i did not put the CF armboard up as a cheap up grade as the block is expensive before the work was done,
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Grant.

A nice thick chunk Peter. Very good, I like CF
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm peter.

hi grant it is a spare one , which will be for sale, as a Carbonfibre Balnk ,

I'm Grant.

i'd do same to it as first and sell it as an upgrade ready made for an arm. make yourself a few bob.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm peter.

Default Doughnut fix

Hi all i thought i had come to the end of upgrades for the deck in the cheap parts, how ever at the weekend i could hear a noise from the motor pod after fitting a new belt , this was because the belt can no longer move the pod due to the base being made bigger , i opened the top of the motor pod ,undo the single bolt , to find the motor is sitting in mid air , in a rubber bush ,
    it is allowed to move , so when you put a new belt on the motor can move enough to catch the pully on top of the housing , i looked a round for some thing i had to try and stop this ,
    i found a New Cistern Doughnut seal made of foam that squashes to shape , so i cut it to fit the inner diameter and then cut it in half thickness wise , as i wanted it to over lap the top of the motor so it would seal against the top of the motor pod ,
    i turned it upside down and then inserted the other half to support the bottom of the motor , you think is would not work , well i was in for a hell of a surprise , it has cleaned the deck up so much i can now hear the voicing on DOSTOM very clear and the bass has been extended , this fix is about £2 and would reccommed it to all gyro owners , beleave me it works very well ,
    the Bog fix uses the seal that normaly goes between the cistern and the bowl ,not the rubber version but the foam version, i dont no why it works but boy it does,

I'm peter.

Default donut fix

Hi all their are several diffrent types of these bog seals P1010284.jpg this is the one with a step inside , i have just fitted this to the bottom ,of the motor and pushed the
    lot back into the tube ,it is atight fit , you have to cut 10-15mm out of the seal , to allow for the difference in diameter , the motor is now held by the step and the sides , the material is like a foam rubber , and not like the gray one which is a foam,all i can say for the cost it is very vey good with the depth of the bass,etc ,

I'm Alan.

This has to be the best tweak to date...using the toilet cistern stepped rubber ring x 2....The top one...I had to cut pieces off in gradual stages...and made it a real tight fit...using a bit silicon grease to get the motor to slide in from the top....The bottom one...I took approx. 2mm off the stepped piece so it fits snugly over the motor...set it all back up and it's just fabulous....crisp, clear, airy...superb bass extension...everything is faster and tighter...vocals are forward and sweet....very nice indeed

[IMG]ring 1 by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]ring 2 2mm cutoff by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]ring 2 fitted by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Hi alan ,yep it is the best tweak for £1.89p i was shocked how good the gyro can be now i think it will see an orbe off , it is one sweet Turntable ,as you no their are loads of diffrent types of the bog seals,
    hence you can now tune the deck to your own taste , due to the diffrent materials used in the diffrent seals, the first i used was the gray foam type, whoosh it was the best i have every heard a gyro , now i have the same one as you but i did not cut it in half length ways , i cut 10mm off and fitted to the bottom , then i have used the gray foam one at the very top, i have added a home made flat washer to the base where the tube screws to the base , there is an under cut so the bas will sit flat , so a 1mm rubber home made flat washer should make no diffrence to the height of the pulley ,
    all in all i was blown away with the Bog standard ant-vibration Motor Fix at £1.89p LOL

I'm peter.

Belt leveling tool , well i looked at the belt after doing all the mods , and getting the michell bounce correct and noticed the belt was no longer level , this would give vibration in the belt and cause it to twist ,
    i came up with a small tool using a sprit level and a piece of 1.5 mm card and then aluminium , to which it fits into the pully and then hold it against the drive slot now the belt is level and runing correctly and now extra vibration , unlinke the ORBE you have you to get the belt level as it runs in the grove on the platter where as teh orbe uses aflat surface , i think the gyro platter grove is left over from when the motor was fixed to the chassie , and has never been updated ,

I'm peter.

Default picture

Hi this is where i am up to with the odyssey deck with all the tweaks, that are hidden, the suspension towers have Delrin bearing balls, the arm board is carbon fibre , the top of the bearing is Delrin with a ceramic ball , there is a Perspex spacer under the Carbon fibre arm board with two rubber spacers 1,5mm thick , the arm was added to by SME with the FD1V added and the rear weight adjusters off the sme v , the plinth is now a whopping 44mm thick , the feet where removed and ISO feet fitted with delrin spacers , but they are getting changed for a 6mm homemade spider , with 2mm rubber decoupling spider and then laminated together , a new foot was made for the motor tube the original was too small and kept moving , also need to be made thicker due to the belt needing to be lined up , the base is not yet completed , with other options on the table , the trick with the support for the motor £1.89 toilet doughnut , i am not sure if anything else I need to do , I hope you try some of the cheap upgrades , and leave feedback just like Mad –Moon , please note everything is up to your selves if you want to do these , I just wanted to show how a gyro deck can beat the pants off more expensive decks ,without losing your wallet ,https://66nzmq-db3pap001.files.1drv....&cropmode=none

Ans now for the base to get reinvented , but with michell parts , laminated base with 6mm and 2mm rubber under support , base is now 32mm thick , the clear and the black spider are a total of 22mm thick , it is bolted together with the 3 grub screws , the spiders came from an orbe se that has been converted to a full orbe , and the original odyssey one , alli have to do is to deside if i want to kepp the very bottom one as the lid will not longer fit and the pulley is too low again
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 16-11-2017 at 14:33. Reason: added pictures

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast