Werner really knows his stuff, over on VinylEngine he really helped me when I was getting my Gorbe deck together.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
well it does not make any difference , the turntables are not built to that high standard , the bearing is only point loaded, about a pin points worth , sitting on a surface that should be very smooth but is a rough as sand paper , and the cone it sits into is not a very good finish either ,
the ball could be 20microns out of shape you just would not see it or hear in , the bearing is located by the shaft and not the ball , i hope this helps
i have talked to Michell over the cone part , not sure if they have done anything about it the ball cannot sit properly due to the roughly machined cone , if my facts have been wrong in the past my apology, but it makes no difference , we stopped using Delrn and torlon , a while ago, torlon is very hard and can micro crack , Delrin was used and still can be used in the pylons, i use a aluminoxide ball, and not the black ball as i was told by Werner that the Black Ball can also crack ,
as all the bearing balls are made to different standards it is up to the user to check , i don't supply parts, but will help if possible,
pete