+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Hi Adrian ,i think you are correct , the shock is there is no bounce in the deck when you fit the pylons as rubber o rings will not bounce , they are meant as a shock absorber ,not to retain the bounce of the springs, he has noted in the message the wow has gone down to the std springs, to 1% using the app on his iphone , well all i have are ears ,i did not do a graph they either work or they dont , in this case they do, by a country mile, now that was the surprise ,,

I'm peter.

This is from a new user in canada he has one of the worst orbes i have come across, one of the pylons was not perpendicular to the spider and one was out of measurement , he has sent me this review which has has done on another forum ,
    it seems with the extra weight in the platter the spider tends to bend over time , this would mean even the springs would be a mile out of spec,any how enjoy his review , his name is D mendelson

After a fair amount of work to get Pete’s Pylons up and running, I have been able to spend some time listening to my table. Consider this a preliminary report, there are still some things I am working on to optimize the suspension.
    Gentlemen, the difference that this revised suspension system has made to my Orbe is not subtle. It is almost like getting a new table.
    At first I struggled with the difference. Orbes and Gyros have a sonic signature in my experience; an inviting, warm almost silken sound that invites you into the music and makes almost anything sound good. It is almost the opposite of CD sound (although not perhaps of the best high resolution digital). They are the ultimate analog sounding tables, with the Orbe more solid sounding, the gyro more “airy”. I love that sound, that’s why I bought one.
    The o ring suspension remove most, if not all of this coloration. The sound becomes faster, more precise, more dynamic, more hard hitting. In fact, at first I felt the sound had become a little hard. But I found VTA adjustments easier to hear and make then before. When I finally found the spot, and it was quite a bit from where I was before, I was rewarded. I began to appreciate the gains you get when your source becomes more neutral.
    The increase in detail is surprising. I know it is cliche, but I really am hearing things in albums I have been playing for decades that I had not noticed before. The increase in dynamic and slam are easy to hear. The sound seems to float freer from the speakers, everything seems a bit clearer in the mix. Again, the differences are not subtle. Who would have thought the suspension would make this big a difference?
    To be fair, it’s not just the o ring suspension. Pete’s kit also includes ceramic balls to replace the steel balls in the turntable main bearing and suspension towers. Also small sorbothane pieces to install on the suspension post (which I am not using yet). I think the change of ball in the main bearing has also made a difference, why that would be I’m not sure.
    I must say that dealing with Peter has been fantastic. I ordered the kit through TruePoint Audio, but when I had trouble getting it up and running Pete became directly involved. He has sent me revised bases, different o rings and numerous emails to help me get everything working right. It is obvious the Pete is not in this for commercial success, but because he is a true hobbyist who loves these tables and tweaking them and wants to help other owners get the best out of their tables. Pete has a long running thread on The Art of Sound website detailing his tweaking of the decks and the development of his pylons. Very interesting read for anyone owning these tables.
    Best of all, these changes are all easily reversible and the table can be converted back to the stock springs and steel balls in about an hour. I don’t think many people will do that once you hear the changes. And the cost? xxx pounds plus postage. About $xxx US in total. Talk about bang for the buck! It’s a joke for the increase in performance you get.
    Highly recommended to anyone looking to taker these tables to the nest level. Or looking to move up to a better table. Try this first!
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 11-12-2019 at 20:17.

I'm Andy.

Great news - another happy customer of these great upgrades!!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

hi it is a pitty that michell has not increassed the spider thickness as they did with the weight of the platter to help the suspension from not bowing on some orbes, this was the 2nd one with this problem , it is always the orbe that throws this problem of the
    adjuster being not perpendicular to the face of the spider over time, it drops ,

it may not of been machined properly in the first place, either way ,the sprigs would lean to one side and not be in the correct position , to get the proper bounce needed,
    when the change over is done to petes pylons , this can only be got around by removing the bearing in the base of the pylon , with 2 other berings left in place,

The pictures that show what weight each pylon will take, and if one of the orings break it will cause no harm ,due to the 5 o rings that will be left , they do not unravel like a piece of waxed cord ,
    all sets are bespoke to the deck , but Truepoint have the sizes for a std version , which although work , they may not help reduce the wow,

atb
    pete

I'm peter.

so this is were i am upto with getting an acrylic platter made just for the gyro , it still has to have the holes done for the weights , i am not sure of the thickness ,it should be about 40 to 45mm, with out the grooves, i think it weighs the same mass as the michell orbe upgrade ,as their is no large hole in the center , but have not yet weighed it as it is still in Truepoint

pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 12-12-2019 at 17:00.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    so this is were i am upto with getting an acrylic platter made just for the gyro , it still has to have the holes done for the weights , i am not sure of the thickness ,it should be about 40 to 40mm, with out the grooves, i think it weighs the same mass as the michell orbe upgrade ,as their is no large hole in the center , but have not yet weighed it as it is still in Truepoint

pete
    Oooooooo you tease.....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

just picked it up and could not resist placing it on the turntable, it is not yet finished i want to have the michell gyro weights inserted into the base of the platter to keep the gyro look and add more mass, but it is heavey now,
    speed is very stable , i now have to remove it and give it a good wash in soapy water ,to remove all the oils, it has made a difference not to have the drive grooves,for the speed, it is 33.4 ,so i need to use the speed trimmer on the HR power supply to set it correct , but now the deck is a true odyssey ,
    p

I'm Adrian.

Looks like Starship Odyssey is nearing ready for take off, "It's a Gyrodec Jim, but not as we know it"
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

yep it is not as we know a unmodified gyro to sound like either , i think this is the last ( but i have said that before ) the Gyro and the Orbe deserve to be brought up date,

the platter weighs in at 4.1kg just 400 grms under the orbe, platter, with the weighs i think it will weigh in about 5kg , half a kg more than the orbe platter ,

I'm Andy.

Looking good Peter
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.