+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYQ...ature=youtu.be

above is a link to my TT ,job done pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 06-07-2020 at 14:48.

I'm Andy.

Respect Pete, looking and sounding v.nice
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

just have to get the platter back , the extension on the music is beyond what i thought was possible , as it was only recorded on a phone, it sounds very good , i may change the spiders to some that are 20mm thick ,which are being made, how ever it sounds fantastic , even with the wrong armboard , i messed the wood top one up , trying to fit the rubber isolating dampers , i made the holes too deep , so that is out for a rework ,

pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 08-07-2020 at 12:10.

I'm Gary.

Even over "compromised" Media, can tell that sound has more 'truth" that what I heard with my Michell turntable.

Good work Pete, your work is making a huge difference!
    SPEAK TO MICHELL, YOUR IMPROVING JOHN'S DESIGN.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm peter.

Hi Gaz , Michell don't want to know, it is their design and they are sticking with it ,,it is up-to Michell if they want to change anything and no any outside help is needed,, i have sent them stuff which they will never acknowledge,, i understand , they have now started to go down the selling of upgrades, including a impedance matched platter, but i was always told the platter was the nearest to vinyl they could make, so why the impedance one?

i found an old Review on the first gyro , the one with the motor screwed to the chassis , it was a very good review,the change in removing the motor to a stand alone one may be the problem with the Belts and not the belt it self , before the motor was fixed to the chassis and the belt had a solid fixed point of contact , with the Pod version you can be 4mm out of center of the hole , stretch the belt or not enough tension , so every one blames the belt , what i did was to use some sorbothane pieces place them between the motor pot and the hole in the chassis , 3 pieces , when the pod is central,simply remove them the pod should be central and the belt have the correct tension , now the belt is correct and the wow and flutter is way down on std ,
    all the best
    pete

I'm peter.

i did not get the weights put into the platter, as the CNC Mill is still broken down , i did call in to true point to pick this up along with one for MR Moon , and 2 others that are for test only, they would be considered grade be ,i had bought some 50 acrylic off ebay and apparently it arrived with small holes in the faces, they cannot be sold,the small 3mm x.5mm deep holes have been filled in,,, how ever they will only be used to set up the cnc mill , when i know it is working , in the mean time, i had 2 that were fine,
    one has been sent to Mr Moon for him to try ,
    pete

I'm Andy.

Love the look of the platter - hope it makes a difference to the replay of the music to justify all the hard work and expense
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm peter.

i will send you one to try , i have a couple of grade B ones, which have marks, in them,i will send one to you soon , pete

I'm Andy.

Cheers Pete
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Alan.

Managed to snag me an acrylic platter..I was shocked by the physical weight of the thing when it arrived in the post...what a lump..I thought it was my birthday. I eagerly opened the box and behold a thing of beauty.
    I wasted no time at all and set my turntable away, after I'd warmed up my gear. I listened to three Lp's with the original platter and no surprise they sounded great, my deck has already had extensive upgrades, and to my ears, this was going to take something special to better the sound..

I stripped the original platter off and put on the new platter, which took very little time, first let me say the platter is beautifully machined and is an exceptionally nice snug fit. I put the anniversary mat on and tried the first LP..Queen II.. Immediately on first impression, the Stereo immage is brilliant and the soundstage is astounding. The bass being reproduced is snapping into place, the music is fast, very musical and tuneful..It was before with the original platter, but this lump is bringing more out of the vinyl..I had to keep playing parts of tracks over and over again, as I was hearing stuff not heard before...a guitar here a drum beat/cymbal there ..this is probably because the image is placing the instruments far better..Dire Straits is superb as is Aha..The Aha LP is the fastest I've heard the music in my system..It's a very busy album too as they do a lot of mixing/tracking on there Lp's..all in all a much nicer listening experience altogether..i confess, I love the look of the original platter with those lovely brass weights hanging down, which are mesmerising, when you watch them, but I love the sound of this platter..which is one solid piece of acrylic,with just enough room to fit over the bearing housing..I've also been able to remove some of the isolation from under the deck, as it was overkill, the platter has superb damping.. I'm a happy bunny and pleased I was able to get my hands on this marvelous piece of acrylic...I can recommend this with no fear...contact Truepoint Audio for more details...I'm glad I did...

Last edited by mad-moon; 15-07-2020 at 16:49.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast