+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Vince.

Sounded bloody good the last time I heard, so I'm looking forward to hearing it now.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm peter.

Hi Vince,, you will be in for a shock , now in this is the final one,, you could say it was copied, but it is not ,, Gert pederson armboard is entirely different ,, Michell's armboard are mainly aluminium , Peter's Performance arm board is unique, in that it uses a hard wood top, this has not been copied,, any where,, The pylons are the same they have never been copied, I was discussing with Mr moon how long this has taken to get where the Gyro will see off the best Turntables around, I think it was 2 -3 years, with
    parts being changed,,bearings ,, oil,, different materials, but not string ,, all materials used needed to be recyclable ,, the O rings on the pylons not to cost a fortune,, Alan came up with the theory to decouple all the parts that were steel and aluminium ,,
    so out went the steel bearings,, to delrin, then to ceramic , we changed the oil to ZX1 super lube, (only use if you have a hr power supply ) ,, changed the top of the bearing with delrin ,, I designed the suspension with the help of Alan ,and Andy , who had to put up with the 3 rings and then the 6 ,, on hooks, we than changed to 6 slots,, with the use of O rings,, the out come was stunning ,,

That still left the armboard in aluminium, I made one of carbon fibre which is very good, but also very expensive, the material alone being 250 ,,

I made some plastic spacers , and used them along with the original armboard , but it was not quite what I was looking for ,,,, I also knew if the acrylic was heavier than the aluminium it would over balance the deck ,,

I took a couple of weeks to get the size and weight correct ,, also to allow adjustment on the SME arm,, there were only 2 made,,I told Alan about what I was upto , he asked if I had one spare could he try it , only if you are honest on what you think ,

he was taken back how good it was,, but I had then changed it to add the oak top ,,only because I did not want to add the height and weight of the acrylic ,

Even I was in for a shock how this added another dimension to the music ,, less ,clicks and pops,, you only hear what the producer has put onto the LP ,,, To where you would think the artist is in the room with you ,, I don't normally do feedback on my stuff , but boy oh boy,, Mr Moon was correct for me to carry on doing what I do,, to get the very best out of the normal gyro which will see of the orbe ,, and In my own opinion I have done that ,,

SME armboard is for sale POA,,
    Rega arm Board is for sale POA
    Bearing support still being made, POA...
    Peter's pylons still for sale,, POA ,,
    all are by true point engineering ,,,, all designed by me and tested by me ,,
    ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 08-07-2019 at 17:10.

I'm Vince.

Every upgrade I've had from you has been "A giant leap for Vinyl kind". Every upgrade I've had from Pete, I've been astounded at the improvement to the music. It makes the the difference between Vinyl and digital even wider as far as musicality is concerned. Very clever bloke and Alans input has been really useful as well. Just shows, you don't need to go to big companies and pay through the nose for major improvements. Please keep up the good work and I wish you well for the future. Cheers Pete.

I'm Steve.

Alan,
    The oak arm-board looks great, and I'm not surprised you are getting an even better sound as oak is an excellent choice of material to use for minimising the transfer of vibration(s). Russ Andrews uses oak for his equipment support feet, I have used it for my isolation platform (supporting the Gyrodec) with excellent results.
    I must admit when I saw your original photo with just the plain acrylic arm-board, I thought it looked a little dull, fitting the oak top massively improves the aesthetics.
    A suggestion you may want to consider is given the excellent material properties of oak, why don't you or Peter, make the entire arm-board from oak, it would be cheaper than acrylic/Perspex, and IMHO look much better - just a thought.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
    Alan,

A suggestion you may want to consider is given the excellent material properties of oak, why don't you or Peter, make the entire arm-board from oak, it would be cheaper than acrylic/Perspex, and IMHO look much better - just a thought.
    You might want to consider the weight of a big lump of OAK and how it would unbalance the chassis!
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound

Voyd the Voyd (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V) and JELCO TK850M(10"), Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

I'm peter.

Hi it is all down to the weight of the arm and board , the board and arm cannot weigh more than 1kg -1.2kg due to the lead weights on the chassis, according to Michell ,, the sme board is with in that spec , if it is too light the set up will be wrong ,
    also wood can crack , trying to find the correct seasoned timber is very expensive,, with acrylic working at 1,20 per mm, before machining , the cost of a seasoned timber is even higher ,, ebony timber cost 60 for the blank ,only to check /crack ,,and worp after 2 years of leaving it to air dry , and then roughly cut to a circle,for that to crack , this was not acceptable,, I lost a further amount of money on this,, the ebony is being used as a cup stand, so I don't burn the coffee table, it is still marked to the diameter needed but still too thick and way too heavy,,,
    there are reaga armboards getting made next week,, all out of acrylic with a hardwood top ,, all the armboards are made of clear cast acrylic , as I cannot get large diameter in black at a reasonable cost ,

this has sat in the cupboard for 2 years cost 70 with post , but to my horror ,After cutting it and leaving it in a bag it has cracked and continues to do so

After 2 and a half years this ebony is still not dry

ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 11-07-2019 at 18:56.

I'm Vince.

Been to Alans for a listen to his Gyrodec and Wow. He is using a Denon DL103 and it sounds like a 1000 cartridge. I've always rated the 103 and even more, the 103R, and Alans deck with the mods is a country mile away improvement on the stock deck. The stock deck is superb......it's the reason I own one, but with these improvements, it just keeps getting better. I'm always doing my own tweeks and have really enjoyed each improvement that Pete has supplied....and Alan has normally fitted.....thanks pals. I had a friend around the other day and he has never heard my system befors, but he is always saying....what do you want to play LPs for. You have to listen to all that popping, clicking etc. His jaw nearly hit the floor when I set a record away. There's no interference at all, he stated, it sounds like a CD but better. He's 83 years old and hasn't listened to a record since CD come out and assumed, (wrongly), that it was all turntables had lots of unwanted noise. He won't be buying a deck, but he certainly enjoyed listening to mine, as does everyone who hears it. Also as I earlier stated, it's not silly money upgrades either. I recommend everything that Pete has done to my deck, and if you don't like it, it is all easily reversible. Not that you will want to reverse it.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Been to Alans for a listen to his Gyrodec and Wow. He is using a Denon DL103 and it sounds like a 1000 cartridge. I've always rated the 103 and even more, the 103R, and Alans deck with the mods is a country mile away improvement on the stock deck. The stock deck is superb......it's the reason I own one, but with these improvements, it just keeps getting better. I'm always doing my own tweeks and have really enjoyed each improvement that Pete has supplied....and Alan has normally fitted.....thanks pals. I had a friend around the other day and he has never heard my system befors, but he is always saying....what do you want to play LPs for. You have to listen to all that popping, clicking etc. His jaw nearly hit the floor when I set a record away. There's no interference at all, he stated, it sounds like a CD but better. He's 83 years old and hasn't listened to a record since CD come out and assumed, (wrongly), that it was all turntables had lots of unwanted noise. He won't be buying a deck, but he certainly enjoyed listening to mine, as does everyone who hears it. Also as I earlier stated, it's not silly money upgrades either. I recommend everything that Pete has done to my deck, and if you don't like it, it is all easily reversible. Not that you will want to reverse it.
    It does sound very special now Vince....I'm looking forward to trying out that Bullet Wood you mentioned Vince......is that the wood you showed me that sinks in water Vince..??
    'ANSOM IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Sugden Headmaster headphone/pre-amp, Class AB VMP dual mono bullet power amp, Roksan Darius speakers, REL Storm III, Target R4 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

hi all I have been speaking to True Point and have sent more sketches to them with regards to the Rega version
    The rega version is under construction , as the rega arm is a lot lighter in mass,
    with the help of Steve Allan we have worked out how to get to the mass that is needed ,
    the acrylic being too light by 230 gram ,,so we will be placing brass weights in the acrylic ,and covering it with oak ,
    sorry their are no drawings or pictures to be seen , yet ,

regards
    pete

I'm Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    It does sound very special now Vince....I'm looking forward to trying out that Bullet Wood you mentioned Vince......is that the wood you showed me that sinks in water Vince..??
    Yeah Alan, the bullet wood is the same wood that I made for the cases for power amps that I knocked up. It is indeed heavier than water, incredibly dense but an absolute bastard to work with. It has a high oil content, dulls tools easily and doesn't glue very easily. But because of it's density I think it will perform very well on the Gyrodec. I will get some through my mates thicknesser and we'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast