+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    well it seems as though these have worked again ,on Vinces deck ,the more i hear the more that is helps to put the things correct , the hole sizes are now sorted with just the size of one of the components to sort out which has turned out to be very easy , to do ,
    Yes Peter....I've been using these on my deck and they are wonderful...a Gyrodec with an sme309 arm and a Denon 103 cartridge..so so revealing is the sound, crisp clear vocals, wonderful separation, wide sound stage and the best bass response to date...just to double check...I took them to Vince's home and put them on his Gyrodec...which utilises a Rega RB300 tone arm, with a very nice silver wire upgrade and a techno-weight...and a nice Ortofon Kontrapunkt B cartridge..Lo and behold...absolutely outstanding...Buffalo Springfield Again...a very complex album, with a lot going on, everything picked out perfectly...timing is impeccable...wet wet wet the memphis sessions....exceptional...Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of the Moon...rapid...and a superb rendition of the little ginger fellas album..Divide...a great afternoons listening...
    Last edited by mad-moon; 14-12-2018 at 22:29.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Gary.

Peter deserves success with this.
    He dabbled, found something better than the norm then reached out.

Gave what he found out for free initially, but the double sided coin of forum life meant he had to change that.

Being one of the guys who improved his Michell turntable thanks to his research I’m thankful to him.
    Nowadays my digital is just as good so happy where I am, but I’m sure John Michell himself would have been interested in these upgrades improving his design.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm peter.

as you now i have done this thread to help others, which i will continue to do so , the pylons were always on the top of the list to sort out, but doing them in a sympathetic way to the design of the deck so you do not have to change the feet ,or buy a very expensive plastic padding kit was the challenge, to send me up the wall for months, i did this design and placed it to one side,due to the cost in the machining of the parts ,
    This is the cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro , and not clobber the HIFI user for every penny they have or push the price up so much the man who can just about to start a HIFI cannot upgrade , so i am a bit embarrassed about the cost of them which is just the cost of the parts and the post , and i mean post ,i think £12 -£15 is post , on every one ,
    They are made when i am asked for them, due to the Michell Chassis having different sized holes, which still causes problems that only one set can be made at a time and low volumes one off's being machined cost a fortune to get done, so they get machined and they arrive at home the slots need to be done , and other parts added , but to keep the price as it is, there is no fancy box ,and never will be,
    There are still Hick ups, Michell as changed the Hole size several times, as the sand cast Chassis had a problem when cast they have reduced the hole sizes several times but now that has been sorted in the decks after 2014 but before that date it is a user help i needed for the size of the holes,
    the price is the cost of the machining ,/printing , (software and cad design is expensive) so i hope the price will not go up ,
    Michell do have a set of them and were testing them out ,i do not think they will take this up , they will design their own which will be to the Michell sound,
    these are just not like that , all the feedback has been from people i have never met only talked after they have fitted to the decks and have left feedback , even on very old mk2 decks , it has caught me by surprise,
    yes the Caps do go back on , no wood or string guaranteed , no plastic padding , sand or holes to be drilled,
    just add the pylons and be amazed, how good the deck you own and john Michell made
    happy Christmas and a Happy New year to everyone, on AOS
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 15-12-2018 at 13:18.

I'm Vince.

I've got the the suspension towers on my Gyrode SE with a rewired RB 300 arm and a Ortofon Kontrapunkt B cartrididge. These towers are phenonamol, the music is just galloping from my speakers, every aspect from bass, mids and treble have al improved drastically. Thanks Peter and Alan for fitting them. I was a bit sceptical at first, but boy do these work.

[IMG]IMG_0002 by Vincent Parkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0002 by Vincent Parkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm peter.

Thanks vince they are good, but still have to make a set for my self as every time i do i am asked for them latest happy camper was Tarzan , who has the delrin version
    Having had these bad boys for a couple of weeks now and feel l have a handle on them l only thought it appropriate to put pen to paper and spread the love of this upgrade...….

Having felt that the springs on my maxxed out Gyrodec could be bettered ( they ring like a cow bell )it is like waiting for a bus- two quite similar products in principle come along at the same time :
    They are made of Delrin which has superb vibration properties and 0 rubber rings, they were easy to fit and machined superbly basically the Pylons replace the spring suspension and this is the important part- stop the platter, moving from side to side, fitted in no time at all- and best of all passes by the dreaded 'Gyrodec bounce' and just leveling the deck is all that was required, so sat down to listen and listen...……. and listen..... B'Jesus, the solidity, imaging has taken a very large step forward W&F is way down, this in turn gives a deeper more 3D effect, tonal colourings are also up, the feeling of the deck sounding calmer and being in total control of the record is very, very, obvious, oh and the backgrounds are a LOT blacker, dynamics are up and this brings a strange sensation that the sound is louder ( however this is due the blacker backgrounds)…. l could go on and on, but am going to listen to more records, l know of no other upgrade to my Gyro that has given me this lift in sound quality ( and trust me l have done a lot.) If you are thinking of upgrading your Gyro/Orbe or was thinking of moving on from them you simply have to try this upgrade.

l have no connection with gweraffield just one very happy camper. Tarzan

I'm peter.

i have been told about a problem which is easy to fix , the adjuster can get stuck , this is because Michell chromed the adjuster which has made them all sizes , so i have used a std 10mm , it is a very easy fix, which if you have a problem please let me know , they are not with out support the adjuster i have found can be 10.1 10.2 upward , , please let me know i will sort it out, (please make sure the deck it level and i mean level ) THE way they are designed means the deck must be level or the pylon will stick on the adjuster ,

i will have copy PTFE washers at £2.50 for the set of 3 , i have some extra ones,
    it has been said these are like Gert Pedersons, but the design is far away from that as possible, gert has to drill and tap the chassis to stop rotational movement of the chassis, and add kevlar wires , he weighs down the chassis with plastic padding , and sand due to the design and using 3 large o rings on steel pylons that he makes he will NOT sell it separately the design means the deck simply cannot stay in one place it will move with the 3 large o-rings, hence the need for the weight and the added wires to keep it stable, so the deck is no longer a gyro it is what gert has made it into his own

now this design has taken a while to get too ,the caps had to fit back on , with help from the members of AOS ,wam , so now i have a upgrade in keeping with what i started some 18mths ago ,
    it uses the Michell adjuster and 6 o-rings, and is made of Delrin for Now, it stays within the Michell designed points , which stops helps stop rotation of the chassis
    , i have NOT done a review as it is up to the members to comment ,which has been great ,
    with this design you do not have to buy feet or drill holes, i it does not damage anything accept the concept the gyro /orbe is not very musical or clear
    ,once you have fitted them , throw all the digital stuff away ,as you will not believe what is hidden in that black Vinyl and if you don't like them send them back , and put the springs back in and no one be the wiser ,

There will NOT be any 3d printed ones like vinces these failed on the foot , due to bad printing ,so i will not do them until i can find a proper 3d printing company and not some one who has just set up and printed them,
    The machine needed has to have a better resolution and must be kept in a dust free environment ,with no drafts this is so the plastic filament will adhere properly and not fail, as any one can print them but getting them correct seems to be the problem ,even on a 4k printer, if the 3d printer is not sealed in its own clean area for get it, they are fine for models but working parts forget it with out the correct machine
    Last edited by struth; 09-05-2019 at 14:29.

I'm Adrian.

Well I am sat here listening or should I say re-discovering another record, The Police - Ghost in the Machine, and the change that the Delrin pylons have made becomes more stunning the more I listen. The bass and low mid is truly wonderful, goes very low and yet is still controlled (remember I do have some great horn speakers so they should be fit for the job), drums are dynamic and tight, instruments are clearly separated and defined. I have the impression of being in the room stood with the drums in front of me. I am not exaggerating, I used to play in a few amateur bands so am used to how a drum kit sounds when you are in the room with it, the set up on the Gyrodec now seems to extract a lot more detail, and dynamics.

Thanks you Pete for this upgrade is certainly is worth its weight in gold!!
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alan.

Solid Air Audio Thingies??? ....These are nothing like them at all...these are machined from Delrin and suspended using NBR o-rings and are designed and made by Peter ( gwernaffield ) They have no association with Peter whatsoever...If you want a proper set of pylons to support your Michell TT...believe me..these are the boys...I'm hard to please, and I don't part with my coppers easily....but these are exceptionally impressive...and worth every single penny....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Solid Air Audio Thingies??? ....These are nothing like them at all...these are machined from Delrin and suspended using NBR o-rings and are designed and made by Peter ( gwernaffield ) They have no association with Peter whatsoever...If you want a proper set of pylons to support your Michell TT...believe me..these are the boys...I'm hard to please, and I don't part with my coppers easily....but these are exceptionally impressive...and worth every single penny....
    Mr Moon, I think you need to read my post again, I am actually pointing out that I love Pete’s DELRIN pylon upgrades and they are NOTHING to do with the Audio whatsits. Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

well it has been eventful to say the least ,with the pylons now sorted to were i am happy, i now know which sizes i need to make sure are correct ,a new Nut has been designed so it will support the o-rings better and yes it will be 3d printed , the base will always be delrin, i have been forced into adding the adjusters this is to stop the sticking adjuster so the price will have to go up to reflect that they will Michell originals , , unless you supply yours ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1RjS4SC1lw&t=156s
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 29-12-2018 at 13:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast