+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm TAD.

Default feet

I know it's a bit out there, but what do you think of speaker spikes embedded in sorbothane hemispheres. I'm waiting in anticipation for parts from Peter to work on my Odyssey deck. I tried the odyssey feet into speaker spike protecters for wood floors. All this on top of a granite bass. Marginal difference but a solid base to work from. I'll keep you updated if you like. Kind regards. T.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    I know it's a bit out there, but what do you think of speaker spikes embedded in sorbothane hemispheres. I'm waiting in anticipation for parts from Peter to work on my Odyssey deck. I tried the odyssey feet into speaker spike protecters for wood floors. All this on top of a granite bass. Marginal difference but a solid base to work from. I'll keep you updated if you like. Kind regards. T.
    As I understand it the key issue is to stop vibrations getting to a turntable which will colour the music, most noticeable with low frequencies. If your Odyssey sits on a solid granite platform then it is pretty likely to be free from vibrations unless possibly it itself sits on a wooden floor which is subject to movement. If you need to de-couple it more then I would talk with Peter about rubber feet.
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound

Michel GyroDec, SME IV arm, Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD, Tisbury passive pre-amp, pair Renaisance RA-01 300b amps, Impulse H2's and Wilson Benesch ARC speakers depending on how I feel, Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    ...what's happening Blake?..
    Sorry Alan:

No sign of the switch yet and swamped with work so have not done anything. Will likely be at least the end of next week before I can report on anything.

But will keep you posted.

I'm peter.

Blake if it dont turn up soon let me know , it is with Canada post , pete

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Blake if it dont turn up soon let me know , it is with Canada post , pete
    Thanks Pete! Not worried about it-Canada Post can be very slow, especially on simple normal delivery. Will let you know. I think it will probably show sometime early next week.

I'm peter.

making skateboard feet using the post off the original feet , buy the skateboard wheels off eBay ,£avrage is £9 , a V-Bush Shock Solid Rubber Mounting Absorber Dampener ID 9mm OD 23mm L 16mm, cut in half , and fit to hole in the center of the skateboard wheel , they will go in with a push , open the hole out , it need to be a tight fit or the Michell post will fall straight through , the with the Michell part fitted screw to the deck , now on the under side on the wheel fit the 2nd part , all the way into the wheel to stop the michell post pushing all the way through , you can super glue this to stop that happening ,

I'm peter.

I'm peter.

Hi ALL to carry on with the small tweaks , pegwill has been in touch with one which he will upload the details off , but to use the michell PTFE washer on top of the bearing this seems to cut down on any noise off the bearing , being passed into the platter , i may try sorbothane washer which i have to make and get back with the results, just concerned that the sponginess of sorbothane may cause the platter to wobble,

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    Hi ALL to carry on with the small tweaks , pegwill has been in touch with one which he will upload the details off , but to use the michell PTFE washer on top of the bearing this seems to cut down on any noise off the bearing , being passed into the platter , i may try sorbothane washer which i have to make and get back with the results, just concerned that the sponginess of sorbothane may cause the platter to wobble,
    This is another superb tweak and believe me..it is letting more detail through yet again..better sound stage...better stereo image...wonderful...I've tried three different washers....the ptfe which is an exact fit round the rim of the bearing housing top...a rubber one..pretty much the same fit as the ptfe..but I have gone with a fibre washer..which is only 21mm OD...17mm ID..and only 0.9 mm thick...it works for me...exceptionally well....I'm just wondering now, if it can get any better...every tweak is giving and giving

[IMG]FIBRE WASHER by alan moon, on Flickr[/IMG]
    'ANSOM IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Sugden Headmaster headphone/pre-amp, Class D power amp, Roksan Darius speakers, REL Storm III, Target R4 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Blake.

My switch finally arrived in the mail and tech installed it so rebuilt the table today with the isolation mod on the suspension posts. Ended up with an almost constrained layer approach using an 8 mm washer on top of the Herbie's Black Hole carbon fiber/silicone sandwich on top of another piece of very thin Herbies material punched from an ancient Herbie's Grungebuster CD mat.

So photos, in order are post with CD Mat material, then black hole damping material followed by the washer on top. The ball bearing in the suspension post tends to rest primarily in the hole of the washer and be somewhat supported by it; I felt that this might be a good idea in terms of preventing it from really digging into the more compliant material and chewing it up.

First listen is promising-I'll report back in a few days after some more extended listening time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast