+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Hi it has been nearly a year since some of the cheap upgrades where done, with no problems at all, the deck is improved with the bass and the mids and highs being spot on , the last upgrade was the skate board wheels off eBay at £6 ,and then the Delrin inserts made to make the posts up to fit into the holes in the wheels to make the feet which were convex on the sides , the surface area being about half a mm , the rest for show,
    the ball bearing ended up being a ceramic one , the bearings in the suspension towers are still Delrin, then the bearing Top instead of the steel one i had a Delrin one made which is still the one i use,
    with the deck being the odyssey version , the chasse came fully dampened with the black stuff from Michell , i have ditched the clamp for a weight, I still use the plastic spacer under the arm with nylon screws, where possible, including holding the cartridge in place along with a half mm PTFE damper for the cartridge , i am still using the 3 extra spiders , that make the base about 36mm thick and the other 2 making the support for the chasse about 24mm,
    cheers pete

I'm Alex.

Are the skate board wheels cast iron? Perhaps using cast iron wheels will improve vibration damping even further. I have used castor wheels under my valve amp and to me there is a noticeable difference.

I'm peter.

hi no the wheels are just a mix of rubber and some plastic of some sort , just stops the deck from moving
    peter

I'm peter.

well i have been messing about with the suspension with a change to using o-rings, so far it has been good with the use of delrin and curtain hooks and o-rings ,but very early , cost would be less than £24
    for all three as long as you can get the delrin spacers made, one with a 10mm 1mm pitch thread in and the other with a 11mm hole, the bottom spacer needs to be 34mm in diameter x 5mm thick , have 3 1.5mm holes at 20mm pcd , equaly spaced , 3 small curtain hooks with a 3 mm thread , the top nut needs to me 26mm dia x 10mm long with a 10mm thread . and 3 x1.5mm holes at 18mm pcd and 3 hooks, do not use large hooks or you will have a devil of a chance to find the correct size of o-riings , ,

still in development

I'm peter.

I'm peter.

Default nearly there

hooks out of eye bolts , base part is 34mm in diameter ,top is 24mm m10x1mm pitch both 5mm thick now, the problem is do i use the hooks on the top or the posts in the picture which have caused a problem that the cap will not go back unless i cut slots in the side to take the o-rings, so the cap will fit on , i must admit it looks better than just hooks, i will continue with the rest in the week as the angle grinder is doing my head in making the hook out of eye bolts , peter
    peter

I'm peter.

well i ended up using the hooks on both parts ,so the cap will go back on , and yes they do make a difference total cost was £27 for all three ,

I'm peter.

I'm TAD.

Hi there Peter, just read your posts here for the first time. I too have an Odyssey deck. If you were starting the upgrade cycle again, would you change the order in which the mods were carried out and would you change/discard any of the them. Great read. Thanks so much. Tad.

I'm peter.

HI Tad i would do the motor doughnut first that was the cheapest , then the upgrade the bearing ball in the main bearing to ceramic , and the ones in the suspension to delrin all 7/32 , if you want the drawings for the latest version of the suspension you may have them for free the only thing is the pcd is incorrect , and needs to be 18mm on the top nut and 19mm on the bottom support washer , the spiders will give you a lot of problems but it means that you have to make a spacer for the motor , to sit on , i went the whole hog and had that machined out of bronze , due to the use of 3 spiders i had lying around , the base works out a 36mm thick and the top is now 22mm -24mm ,
    the other part that was made was a Delrin top spindle with a ceramic ball properly fitted, this cause a problem with static , so i bought a sweep arm from transrotor in germany cost a fortune,
    all the messing about the deck is a bit faster in music terms , the sound i cannot and will not change now the springs have gone it sounds a lot better ,
    i would keep every thing i have done and Have,
    the only reason for the change in springs was the set on ebay made of string and wood , at £140 , so i though i would keep to the principal of trying to do upgrades for less than £40, which i have , the cost of the parts for the suspension was £16 , plus hooks £11 ,and o-rings 50p , and then 3 hrs work drilling and tapping for the hooks that have to be made as you cannot buy M3 hooks small enough ,
    the plastic support ring and bolts was £20 Ebay
    the bearing ball delrin have gone up since i have started to £1 each
    the ceramic ball is now £5 alum oxide one not the harder versions,
    the doughnut seal is from £2.60 up
    the sweep arm was the most expensive item £90
    then the carbon arm board that was £70 , but cannot get the 20mm thick carbon fiber now due to the vast price increase ,
    the Delrin spindle , which was not cheap as i had 2 made it stopped any noise going into the lp from the bearing i sent one to Michell , this caused no end of problems with static hence the use of the earthed sweep arm , but it is funny how you can get static on some LPS and not on others, and i would not change that for any one ,
    The spiders i might of not bothered with, if i never had a pair lying around and a good friend to make the spacer for the motor for a couple of drinks £20 , the motor is now 3kg in weight , we also changed the motor foot to 5.5inches in diameter it will no longer fit through the hole in the case , but it will not move either ,
    i changed the feet several times in the end using skate board wheels with bespoke inserts to keep the height for the belt as that was not my idea it was Andy's , he uses them with the michell feet sitting inside and then a spacer for the motor to keep the correct height , on his orbe , i use Nylon blots and nuts were possible , also a ptfe damper in the head shell , i don't use the clamp i bought a puck /weight instead , got fed up with the deck moving , untill we done the motor upgrade,

Michell suspension is has a problem , the tolerance used is not tight enough so the adjuster can and does move from side to side, it became more noticeable when the o-ring suspension was used , the ball in the adjuster Tube acts like a fulcrum , and allows the tube to move/wobble side to side ,i have stopped this with the use of PTFE plumbers tape , in the recess, don't put too much in or you will not get the adjuster down due to the air being compressed inside the tube, the tube thread is under size and this allows for movement when using the spring but take the spring out and the adjuster is the .25mm under size of the M10 x1mm pitch again the plumbers tape has come in handy as i could not get any -.25mm taps, so i have used ptfe tape,
    the best thing about all these upgrades is that the Turntable can be returned back to Std with out any problems , the Odyssey is the best one Michell made and even better now , it would eat and orbe se r for breakfast and go back for its brother ,with or with out the little tweaks

peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast