+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Default new armboard

please contact http://www.true-point.audio/ to purchase ,, the price is with them ,, not me,, i dont want to be accused of not paying tax,, all payments made to them ,,they will issue an invoice and how to pay ,, any problems please pm me,
    i will see if i can resolve any problems,,
    kind regards
    pete

I'm peter.

Hi all if you need the Rega armboard with the 3 top screws please let True Point know ,

kind regards
    pete

Last edited by gwernaffield; 18-09-2019 at 21:09.

I'm HF.

Default Pylon upgrade

Hi all,

Bit late to the party but I thought I'd throw my 2p in, I'll spare the hyperbole for the magazines...

In short these are an absolute no brainer and well worth the money.

If, like me you were looking for a stability solution to the Michell springs this is the perfect fix. I was never able to get the perfect 'bounce' and I was certain it was affecting the performance of the turntable.

The worst thing about this upgrade is nothing to do with the upgrade but having to cater for Michell's lack of consistency in regards to the size of the holes on the base, it is a bit fiddly so ensure you have a digital caliper to hand!

I noticed a significant improvement once fitted, pretty much across the board. More transparent, more detail & more music. The turntable can simply pick up the whole frequency range better, more bass much more detail in the mid and top end. I was very surprised with the results, my turntable has never sounded better!

Pete is an absolute gent and really put in the time answering my often daft questions and helping out with tweaks. Quick delivery and lots of helpful advice.

If anyone else is reading this and not sure hopefully this will encourage you to take the plunge.

Thanks again and fantastic thread I stumbled upon!

I'm peter.

Hi Breaker thank you for the review, they are still made, so still avalible, from truepoint ,, i can get them made with out the use of a digital vernier ,, and you dont need to change the bearings if you dont want too,, these have been difficult to produce because of the different size holes in the michell chassis , i could just suspend the deck by using the base ,, which i have looked at ,how ever it does not cut down on the wow,, which was the point in doing these in the first place,,
    you now hear more out of the lp, which was hidden before , ,we have just enhanced the deck by making the armboards,, which add to the whole sound of the gyro and orbe,, in my own opinion it has even more better depth ,i dont have anything more to add,
    thanks again for the little review

ATB pete

I'm peter.

Hi All after a couple of days messing about and being asked about static,, the pylons are not part of the earthing on a gyro /orbe, i have confirmed this with Michell,, also the use of a ceramic bearing does not add to the static ,
    static starts as soon as you remove the LP out of the nice cardboard sleeve ,especially the 180grm stuff , you can try to check this by putting the LP near your arm ,it may lift the hairs with the amout of static it is holding,, here are a list of solutions
    1 buy some antistatic sleeves for your vinyl ,
    2 check that every thing is tight ,down to the earth screws on the phono stage
    3 make sure the earth strap is tight ,
    4 make sure that the oil is correct and does not need to be changed or topped up ,
    5 if you use a mat make sure it is cork or rubber only about 3 -6 mm thick , rubber 1mm
    6 run a continuity test to check all the earths ( ground wires are in tact )
    7 continuity to the arm and bearing by adding the earth strap to the chassis or using the stright through bolts,
    8 check the belt is not slipping , if you remember from school that this may charge the platter to where you get a static discharge , ( vanden graff generator ) sounds daft but the platter is made of a similar material to the Vinyl )

But all of this starts at the time you take the vinyl out off the sleeve ,
    pete

I'm peter.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...our-turntable/

please read this , it is very good at explaining why you need to ground the chassis ,

I'm peter.

I'm Blake.

After being thrilled with Pete's suspension, I was really curious when he came up with the new armboard design. I'd experimented years ago with various types of shelf materials (glass, tempered glass, corian, MDF, baltic birch, etc. and also acrylic. I found that the best sounding support for my table (even using a Target Wall Shelf and replacing the stock MDF shelf in that) was a constrained layer shelf that I put together using a base piece of baltic birch with a thin layer of neoprene sheet on top of that, followed by a top layer of extruded acrylic upon which my table sits. Would have gone acrylic on the bottom layer at the time but it was pricey and many years ago when I did not have an excess of cash so stuck with the baltic birch there.

So when Pete came out with the acrylic armboard I thought there was a very strong possibility it would be a winner and decided to take the plunge. Things didn't go absolutely smoothly for me (long story-problems on my end unrelated to the board(s) and then a glitch with one of the boards I bought but I've been up and running for a week or so now and can confirm Al's impression of the board and its effect on sound quality in post 412. I think he's done a very good job of describing its attributes. Much more focus, clarity and retrieval of detail along with improvements in musicality and tightening and extension of bass. Everything is just more fleshed out. The new board reveals the original Michell board to be a bit congested and dynamically challenged by comparison. There is also a real sense of composure in complex passages with big dynamic swings; you can simply hear much more of what is actually happening in the performance in moments like this as opposed to hearing much more of a mish-mashed "blend" of sound.

It's a cliche but backgrounds are blacker. And surface noise is further reduced. I ended up buying some extra thick (3.2 mm) grungebuster dots from Herbie's Audiolab that have adhesive on one side and cutting them down and attaching them to the underside of the armboard(s). Still have to get the nylon bolts cut down to use those.

I was previously using the Michell tonearm decoupling kit and frankly, had to strain to hear any positives with it. Definitely not the case with these, although they are much more expensive and not really cheap. But they are worth it. With two arms (and armboards) the bang for buck has not been quite as big as the suspension upgrade but that may not be the case for single arm users. A really worthwhile upgrade and I could not go back to the stock armboard.

Have to admit that the "look factor" is also quite nice as well. I wish that I could have tried out a wood laminate top armboard but increasing the thickness would have run me into a bit of trouble in terms of setting VTA/SRA.

In any event, I am very happy and would highly recommend. Once you go here, you will not go back.

I'm peter.

Hi Blake , thank you , it was abad start to these ,as you know you are in canada and the board are made in th euk by true point , the original sumiko board some how ended up with the wround geometey for the arm , never one to run away when things go wrong , you will receive the replacement as soon as it has been made , although it will be a jelco one,, now you have replaced the arm, the mix up was when the arm was turned on the opposite direction , the holes in the bas were 30degs out ,, their is no excuse it should of been checked before it was sent ,, now they arrive at my home and will be checked and tested on my deck before being sent out ,, unfortunatly these are not cheap , they have a lot of machining work done to them ,
    to get the weight with in Michell limits , ,
    you will notice on blakes pictures that one board has more brass weights in then the orthe , the jelco 250 being lighter then the jelco 750 ,, he needed to balance the boards to get the correct weight ,, leaving out a 11 brass weights to get the balance correct for his system ,
    i hope you have hours of listerneing , you never know what will be next ,, on the list of upgrades for this wonderful turntable,

pete

I'm Vince.

Just fitted my new arm board from Pete......Wow.
    There was a big improvement with Pete's Pylons and fitting ceramic balls in place of the stock steel balls. The whole musical spectrum was dramatically inproved, timing, detail, mids jumping out at you, (in a very nice way). The bass was really tightened up with very little bloom and a syrupy smooth treble.
    The arm board has given me more of a the above. There is no bloom to the bass now and the music seems to have speeded up, even though the arm board has no effect on speed. The mids are hanging in the air like the singer is there. Stereo image is now into the next room, it's that wide and instrument placement is wonderful. Altogether the turntable sounds like the good parts of CD playback, ie. background noise has disapeared, tracks like a train on rails. Plus there is all of vinyls attributes making it sound perfect.
    I can honestly say now, my vinyl set up is as good as just about any system I've heard, and I've heard a few.
    This upgrade is a simple no brainer if you have a Gyrodec, it really is astonishingly fantastic.
    Every time I drop the stylus now, I just sit there with a daft grin on my face.
    Plus Pete is a real gent.....a bloody genius to boot.
    %1000 recomended.
    I'll put pictures of the upgrades soon.
    Thanks Pete,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast