+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm TAD.

Peter, Happy Christmas and New Year to you and your family, Tadeusz.

I'm Peter.

Happy Christmas and new year to you Tad, i hope it is not too cold, were you are in Canada,and you were not affected by the Storm , all the very best peter

I'm Peter.

i was asked if i still use Delrin bearing balls, the answer is NO , the spindle they sit on in the michell suspension has a rough part on the top this caused a flat spot on the delrin , that is why i changed to ceramic bearing , but even this may get damaged by the poor surface finish on the suspension spindle, the PTFE bearing was the best but again this worn out and flat spots appeared, this was discontinued, i continue to try different things with the gyro ,and will up date accordingly ,

all the very best to every one, and a happy and lucky new your to all off you ,

I'm Mike.

Question for others who have the Gyro SE. I've noticed lately that the weight below the chassis on my kit has play in it. I've attempted to tighten the bolt, but it will not tighten. Then I tried to remove the bolt so that I could shim the weigh with a fiber washing. Well, I was not able to get it to back out. My attempt have slightly dinged up the bolt, and I am concerned about doing more damage.

So, have any of you had experience, moreover success in withdrawing these fasteners?

Thanks in advance.

I'm Peter.

Default do you mean the weights on the platter

do you mean the weighs on the platter ?

I'm Andy.

Still got the old girl

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rocking kid View Post
    do you mean the weighs on the platter ?
    Yes. The Gyro SE has a two sets of lead counterweights on the underside of the metal chassis. One set in the front, a second on the back. These are a bit leftward, looking straight on to the turntable. These weights are held down by a bolt (I think three) with a Philips head.

I cannot find an email for Michell UK, just a telephone number. So I sent a note to Artech Electronics (NA Michell dealer) in Canada from whom I've purchased parts. Their reply yesterday was:

"Normally the weights are held in place by dabs of silicone sealant and the screws provide mechanical retention. If your deck is very early, there might be no silicone and the shoulders in the holes of the soft lead, has been bottomed out, so the bolts are no longer retaining. I didn't think they used and thread locker.

You might want to contact Jonny at Michell Engineering for a solution."

I asked if thread lock had been used because my efforts to break the bolts loose with moderate force was not successful. I want to install that dab of silicone and perhaps install a fiber washer under the bolt. Artech asked the age of my Gyro SE. I'm guessing 2005 or 2006. I purchased it gently used in 2007. I would not have discovered the loose fit if I had not moved my hand under the chassis and felt the weight move.
    Last edited by BendBound; 16-03-2023 at 20:31.

I'm Mike.

Next question:

Has anyone tried this product from Michell?

https://www.analogueseduction.net/mi...c-gyro-se.html

Maybe its available in the US.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by BendBound View Post
    Next question:

Has anyone tried this product from Michell?

https://www.analogueseduction.net/mi...c-gyro-se.html

Maybe its available in the US.
    Yes when I owned a Gyrodec about 5 years ago I did fit this to the chassis, it did dampen it to some extent, but in my opinion the chassis is a proverbial bell with resonant frequecies.

I also did quite a few of cheap upgrades in this thread, the biggest improvement gains were in the replacement suspensions kit designed by Pete. I subsequently along with him replaced the feet using skate board wheels with a push fit rubber bush in the centre for the feet bolts to fit into, this improve isolation greatly. I also experimented with sorbothane isolation 1mm sheet as a grommet under my SME arm, which gained better definition and detail. I replaced the platter with a Orbe one, which helped a bit in low end definition.

I got it to the point where I felt no further improvement could be gained.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Peter.

just lock it all back in with silicone , it will dampen and retain as well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast