+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 421 to 430 of 430

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

  1. #421
    Join Date: Apr 2013

    Location: Easington Lane

    Posts: 824
    I'm Vince.

    Default

    Every upgrade I've had from you has been "A giant leap for Vinyl kind". Every upgrade I've had from Pete, I've been astounded at the improvement to the music. It makes the the difference between Vinyl and digital even wider as far as musicality is concerned. Very clever bloke and Alans input has been really useful as well. Just shows, you don't need to go to big companies and pay through the nose for major improvements. Please keep up the good work and I wish you well for the future. Cheers Pete.

  2. #422
    Join Date: Mar 2019

    Location: Bristol, UK

    Posts: 11
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Alan,
    The oak arm-board looks great, and I'm not surprised you are getting an even better sound as oak is an excellent choice of material to use for minimising the transfer of vibration(s). Russ Andrews uses oak for his equipment support feet, I have used it for my isolation platform (supporting the Gyrodec) with excellent results.
    I must admit when I saw your original photo with just the plain acrylic arm-board, I thought it looked a little dull, fitting the oak top massively improves the aesthetics.
    A suggestion you may want to consider is given the excellent material properties of oak, why don't you or Peter, make the entire arm-board from oak, it would be cheaper than acrylic/Perspex, and IMHO look much better - just a thought.

  3. #423
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Seaton, Devon, UK

    Posts: 2,080
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
    Alan,

    A suggestion you may want to consider is given the excellent material properties of oak, why don't you or Peter, make the entire arm-board from oak, it would be cheaper than acrylic/Perspex, and IMHO look much better - just a thought.
    You might want to consider the weight of a big lump of OAK and how it would unbalance the chassis!
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound


    Voyd the Voyd (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V) and JELCO TK850M(10"), Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

  4. #424
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: london

    Posts: 449
    I'm bob.

    Default

    Hi it is all down to the weight of the arm and board , the board and arm cannot weigh more than 1kg -1.2kg due to the lead weights on the chassis, according to Michell ,, the sme board is with in that spec , if it is too light the set up will be wrong ,
    also wood can crack , trying to find the correct seasoned timber is very expensive,, with acrylic working at 1,20 per mm, before machining , the cost of a seasoned timber is even higher ,, ebony timber cost 60 for the blank ,only to check /crack ,,and worp after 2 years of leaving it to air dry , and then roughly cut to a circle,for that to crack , this was not acceptable,, I lost a further amount of money on this,, the ebony is being used as a cup stand, so I don't burn the coffee table, it is still marked to the diameter needed but still too thick and way too heavy,,,
    there are reaga armboards getting made next week,, all out of acrylic with a hardwood top ,, all the armboards are made of clear cast acrylic , as I cannot get large diameter in black at a reasonable cost ,

    this has sat in the cupboard for 2 years cost 70 with post , but to my horror ,After cutting it and leaving it in a bag it has cracked and continues to do so




    After 2 and a half years this ebony is still not dry


    ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 11-07-2019 at 18:56.

  5. #425
    Join Date: Apr 2013

    Location: Easington Lane

    Posts: 824
    I'm Vince.

    Default

    Been to Alans for a listen to his Gyrodec and Wow. He is using a Denon DL103 and it sounds like a 1000 cartridge. I've always rated the 103 and even more, the 103R, and Alans deck with the mods is a country mile away improvement on the stock deck. The stock deck is superb......it's the reason I own one, but with these improvements, it just keeps getting better. I'm always doing my own tweeks and have really enjoyed each improvement that Pete has supplied....and Alan has normally fitted.....thanks pals. I had a friend around the other day and he has never heard my system befors, but he is always saying....what do you want to play LPs for. You have to listen to all that popping, clicking etc. His jaw nearly hit the floor when I set a record away. There's no interference at all, he stated, it sounds like a CD but better. He's 83 years old and hasn't listened to a record since CD come out and assumed, (wrongly), that it was all turntables had lots of unwanted noise. He won't be buying a deck, but he certainly enjoyed listening to mine, as does everyone who hears it. Also as I earlier stated, it's not silly money upgrades either. I recommend everything that Pete has done to my deck, and if you don't like it, it is all easily reversible. Not that you will want to reverse it.

  6. #426
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: North East

    Posts: 5,619
    I'm Alan.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Been to Alans for a listen to his Gyrodec and Wow. He is using a Denon DL103 and it sounds like a 1000 cartridge. I've always rated the 103 and even more, the 103R, and Alans deck with the mods is a country mile away improvement on the stock deck. The stock deck is superb......it's the reason I own one, but with these improvements, it just keeps getting better. I'm always doing my own tweeks and have really enjoyed each improvement that Pete has supplied....and Alan has normally fitted.....thanks pals. I had a friend around the other day and he has never heard my system befors, but he is always saying....what do you want to play LPs for. You have to listen to all that popping, clicking etc. His jaw nearly hit the floor when I set a record away. There's no interference at all, he stated, it sounds like a CD but better. He's 83 years old and hasn't listened to a record since CD come out and assumed, (wrongly), that it was all turntables had lots of unwanted noise. He won't be buying a deck, but he certainly enjoyed listening to mine, as does everyone who hears it. Also as I earlier stated, it's not silly money upgrades either. I recommend everything that Pete has done to my deck, and if you don't like it, it is all easily reversible. Not that you will want to reverse it.
    It does sound very special now Vince....I'm looking forward to trying out that Bullet Wood you mentioned Vince......is that the wood you showed me that sinks in water Vince..??
    'ANSOM IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER

    Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Sugden Headmaster headphone/pre-amp, Class AB VMP dual mono bullet power amp, Roksan Darius speakers, REL Storm III, Target R4 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

  7. #427
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: london

    Posts: 449
    I'm bob.

    Default

    hi all I have been speaking to True Point and have sent more sketches to them with regards to the Rega version
    The rega version is under construction , as the rega arm is a lot lighter in mass,
    with the help of Steve Allan we have worked out how to get to the mass that is needed ,
    the acrylic being too light by 230 gram ,,so we will be placing brass weights in the acrylic ,and covering it with oak ,
    sorry their are no drawings or pictures to be seen , yet ,

    regards
    pete

  8. #428
    Join Date: Apr 2013

    Location: Easington Lane

    Posts: 824
    I'm Vince.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    It does sound very special now Vince....I'm looking forward to trying out that Bullet Wood you mentioned Vince......is that the wood you showed me that sinks in water Vince..??
    Yeah Alan, the bullet wood is the same wood that I made for the cases for power amps that I knocked up. It is indeed heavier than water, incredibly dense but an absolute bastard to work with. It has a high oil content, dulls tools easily and doesn't glue very easily. But because of it's density I think it will perform very well on the Gyrodec. I will get some through my mates thicknesser and we'll see how it goes.

  9. #429
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: london

    Posts: 449
    I'm bob.

    Default

    Hi All you can use any wood, but the thickness needed is 5mm, due to the way the rega uses the Mitchell VTA adjuster , that has to be taken into consideration,, so the 28mm hole is 9mm deep with the 5mm with the oak,, it will locate on the 23, and the 28 on the armboard ,
    one of the problems to over come is the mass of the armoard , and arm , 900grm is the lowest ,, and 1.kg is the highest Inc the weight of the arm ,,, to keep the deck with in spec, they are working on that this week , also the cost , is still to be sorted ,
    if the armboard at 35mm thick it may not need the brass weight weights,, but it also would not have the wood top, the cost would be lower ,,due to no brass and wood,,

    at 30mm plus the wood , it is too light , we are having to put brass weights into the armbord , to get the correct weight , covered by the wood,,

    True point engineering are just in the stage of doing the prototypes,, to be sent out for test ,, with oak and brass,, they will not be taking orders until I have had feed back , due to the cost and time, the cost will be more clear when we know exactly which design will work for the best ,, the rega is a far lighter arm than the SME ,,

    ATB
    Pete

  10. #430
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: london

    Posts: 449
    I'm bob.

    Default

    Hi all , just a quick note all the parts /armboads and pylons are made by True Point Engineering and Audio,, I do not work for them ,,,all moneys are to be paid to true point audio,, who will issue a receipt, and make to order ,, I just designed them ,,
    I hope this clears things up ,, please contact True point audio from their Web site,,

    kind regards
    pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •