+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

i was asked the size of the -o-ring used,, O ring size for the pylons is 29.8 x 2.68 or 30x 3 ,, will do in epdm , the 29.8 is imperial ,, with a 2.68 cross section , all now EPDM ,

pete

I'm peter.

the new motor is quiet , with no vibration into any part of the deck , The problem was i have had to get the power supply upgraded as well , due to the now 7 watt dc motor being used, the draw is more then the HR would handle,, i could not trim the speed down on the HR , but Could on the TPA, i just do not under stand why the HR would not run the motor as they are both the same voltage but a higher watt and more torque on the 7watt , can some one explain why ? i did talk to some one about the HR but he said i may have trouble with getting the correct speed, or worst of all the thermal fuse may pop,, the fuse was fine but the speed was 8 rpm too fast ,, has any one got an explanation to why this is the case,

pete

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    the new motor is quiet , with no vibration into any part of the deck , The problem was i have had to get the power supply upgraded as well , due to the now 7 watt dc motor being used, the draw is more then the HR would handle,, i could not trim the speed down on the HR , but Could on the TPA, i just do not under stand why the HR would not run the motor as they are both the same voltage but a higher watt and more torque on the 7watt , can some one explain why ? i did talk to some one about the HR but he said i may have trouble with getting the correct speed, or worst of all the thermal fuse may pop,, the fuse was fine but the speed was 8 rpm too fast ,, has any one got an explanation to why this is the case,

pete
    Well I cannot explain myself but this might help if you focus on the Design#2: PWM DC Motor Control with IC 555 section https://www.homemade-circuits.com/dc...ller-circuits/ from my understanding the issue with trying to use the HR controller is that pot just may not be sufficiently lowering the Voltage enough to slow down a more efficient 7W motor.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm peter.

one of the differences in the TPA was a better pot inside the box, you adjust that and set the speed on 45,, you can then use fine adjust the speed with the buttons on the front to set all 3 speeds,, ,, the HR only as a small adjustable pot on the rear their is no other adjustment available,,

I'm peter.

The New power supply will work directly with the gyro ,with the ability of changing speed , and not have to move the belt , speed seems more stable, i have been asked for graphs to prove this i cannot as all i have is my ears, but i have just borrowed a wow and flutter meter to check the speed against the speed set by the laser meter and also allow me to see what the wow and flutter has become with all the changes, now to learn how to use the wow and flutter meter that is out of the arc ,

I'm Andy.

Well, you have plenty of time to work out how to use - or should I say we have plenty of time.....
    Be interesting for the Gyro peeps to see how the PSU works out - fingers crossed it does the job!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

yes i know ,boredom is setting in being stuck in all day ,and now this to play with , should be fun

I'm Gary.

Peter,
    no longer a Gyro enjoyer, but just want to say thank you for the (genuine) service your doing for others.

You sent me some Ceramic ball bearings to try with my own deck a while back, improved my listening experience so thank you for going to the trouble for that.
    Keep doing the good work Sir.

People appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    yes i know ,boredom is setting in being stuck in all day ,and now this to play with , should be fun
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm peter.

Hi Gaz thanks,for the kind words,,
    i am just waiting on scott nagle to send the test lp ,i can then get stared , i wanted to see what if any the difference in the change of drive motor has done to the gyro , taking it from a 3 watt to a 7 watt motor , also the power supply , the motor can be bought only if you are in the Trade, in the uk but in the USA that are $99 or $96 direct from the manufacturers,
    all of the changes to the gyro have been done to save money and to get the very best out off the gyro and surprisingly the orbe,
    my disappointment was i had to give up the pylons to TPA, so i was not getting accused of fiddling ,, any thing or any body , TPA has been around for years, but in another name, Turepoint precision engineering , i think truepoint audio started a few years ago
    they are 35 miles from me,they have been doing parts for audio for the pink triangle TT, repairing most hifi stuff or know of some one who will help , they also had an upgrade to the pink triangle a new dc motor and power supply , the power supply works on the gyro , with 3 speed settings, no need to change the motor , it will work with the std Michell DC Motor , it is also rock steady , and will not cost as much as the HR , but all prices are through True Point ,, and not me,
    the meter was borrowed from TruePoint audio, because the new motor i had fitted they made the pulley ,i want to check the wow and flutter , if it is higher than the stated by Michell, i would like to find out how to stop it, with all the talk that the belt is to blame, which i think it may be another part , more to follow at a later date,

all the very best keep safe and weep well to all AOS Members
    pete

I'm Gary.

Sounds great Peter.

One thing I’d maybe mention...

Be strong in protecting your own intellectual property.
    It absolutely looks like your taking the Gyro to a different level, so you really have something here.
    Secure it when you can, many instances in the hifi game of “No good deed going unpunished”.
    Company’s jumping on someone else’s good ideas and ripping them off for profit.

If you haven’t already mate, I’d take legal advice on this.

Just sayin’.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast