+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

just bought the doughnut seals, now called Motor Supports , which will need to be cut to fit the tube, and add a bit of silicone grease to help them fit into the motor tube after cutting to make them fit the motor pod the motor will sit in the lip
    in the base of the Motor Support it will be a tight fit , used on DC motor , as i do not have a AC one i am concerned that they may give off heat ,
    pete

I'm TAD.

hi there Pete, do you remember the damping material for the headshell/arm contact area, which we discussed. Have you ever thought of making stacking washers out of this material for the armboard to replace the rubber ones. I would like to try this out. Am I wasting my time???
    Kind regards,
    Tadeusz.

I'm peter.

hi tad you might end up back to were you started, the arm board is supported by 3 delrin spacers from the factory , i now longer have the techno arm to try your suggestion , also if i remember the arm board is thicker for the rega techno arm ,
    due to the weight differences in the sme arm , max weight according to Michell Jonathan Nye was 1.1kg or around that weight , the material i use on the arm for a cartridge isolation is PTFE about 1mm thick , cut to shape, .
    The Bobbins now being used to support the arm board decouple the chassis , where the spacers do not , the New Michell design ones are delrin with a o ring in the top, it does sort of work , but do not expect masses of difference as the arm board is sill held ridged to the chassis
    The thinking behind the rubber bobbins , is the sme 3009 is screwed to the deck Via Rubber grommets,so i just looked at the anti vibration bobbins as an extension to that , MR Moon confirmed what i had thought may happen , just he had bought his from the uk , and i bought mine from my favorite shopping channel China, cheaper but you have to wait , and i am still waiting ,

kind regards
    pete

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    hi there Pete, do you remember the damping material for the headshell/arm contact area, which we discussed. Have you ever thought of making stacking washers out of this material for the armboard to replace the rubber ones. I would like to try this out. Am I wasting my time???
    Kind regards,
    Tadeusz.
    This would be too soft and would crush up and any effect would be lost. Best to use a silicone rubber washer about 1 to 2mm thick top and bottom, or as some have done and I an about to do try is replacing the arm board mounts (metal or delrin) with 10mm rubber bushes, you need M5 threads one male and female in each end, these are available on Ebay quite cheaply.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm TAD.

thanks so much guys. the Odyssey still continues to surprise with the detail which can be extracted off a vinyl disc. Kind regards. T.

I'm peter.

just added the bobbins to the deck , the ones i received seemed a bit soft ,so i have added 3 delrin ones in the mix , under the arm board , until i can get 3 more bobbins female to female , to do the same job what i was not expecting was the shear force now in the music , every thing and i mean every thing has more depth , the bass was the immediate i could hear and feel as if you were at the gig ,after having HIFi for 40 years , orbes .lp12 , could not keep up with this deck now, the force and feel will blow you away , all the depth and stereo imaging came to life ,

I'm Adrian.

Well that sounds really promising, my rubber bobbins should arrive soon so I will be very interested to hear the result.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm William.

Hi Guys

Well I stripped it down again. The pylon supports measure from the acrylic base to the top of the support 28mm - the pylons measure inside depth 28.5 ( no proper depth gauge) and yes they do rest on the acrylic base. So I inserted a little bit of of rubber that lifted the the pylons off the acrylic base. So now the bearing should be supporting the pylons. I cheched the bearing with the original and they were the same size. All I can say is another manufacturing inconstancy, but sorted now.
    My acrylic base is a cover supplied by Michell when I bought the gyro, so perhaps they out source them. Anyway pylons are sitting above the base so alls fine.

Regards to all.

I'm Simon.

Default Orbe Bearing

So what’s the current preference for bearing thrust ball & suspension posts?
    I have 4 Delrin & a packet of Ceramic Si3N4 bearing balls ready to try, but where do I start?

Have a set of Solid Air Pylons to try as well, bought at Christmas time, but was busy.

My Orbe is a 2000 model, with AC Motor & QC Controller. SME V now with Lyra Skala, into Bakoon EQA-R
    I applied the Pedersen Armboard about 10 years
    Was focused on getting Digital done well, and now back to Vinyl frontend.

So where are people at?

Simon

I'm peter.

read the posting , the orbe bearing used the ceramic uses alumiu oxide, ball , unless you have the feet to go with the string and wood they will not work as they are part 2 of his upgrade path not my words but his,
    , you can use the ceramic ones in the pylon tubes, or the delrin , you will have to ask some one else about the string and wood pylon , i will not comment LOL

pete

need i say more
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 16-03-2019 at 15:57.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast