+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Gary.

Having dealt with Peter in the early incarnations of his Gyro upgrades, can absolutely say he’s coming from a good place.
    He’s wanting to pass on his hard earned work and benefit to others, which is what AOS is all about.

Contribution like this is to be commended imo.

I'm Alan.

+1. Peter has worked hard on these upgrades..he has my full support.. Not only is he a clever chap...he is a gentleman too...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Andy.

+2
    Feel Peters' pain as he had a good idea which we helped him fine tune and get a good product only to be knocked back by poor specs and standards by the manufacturer!
    I have never had any issues dealing with Peter during the creation and final incarnation of his design and it is a shame the way it has ended up.
    Hoping he manages to sort out a solution as he does deserve it.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Blake.

Without question. Peter deserves some very serious praise for the development of the Pylons as well as making them available at a very reasonable price in terms of the performance they deliver; even with the recent increase in price, they are a bargain.

On top of that, as mentioned, he's a pleasure to deal with and bends over backwards to accommodate and make purchasers happy. Clearly the issue of non-standard sizes, etc. with the Michell product has complicated things somewhat for him. Seems to me he has gone the extra mile for everyone that's purchased.

Sadly, it is the nature of the internet (and particularly audio forums) that there are always detractors, and in many, many cases they are people that have no experience with the product or item they're slagging.

Pete's product, service & integrity gets the absolute top & highest rating from me. Another happy owner from the other side of the pond, and I know that the numbers of us over here are growing having had communication with a few of them.

I'm peter.

Thank you all for the above comments , i hope to have every thing sorted one way or another, i have put them on hold for now,, i have to try a solution to the holes out first ,, with the help of some of the members , so no measuring will be needed,to help sales,,
    have a happy Easter
    pete

I'm Simon.

I initially tried the Ceramic (Black Si3N4) bearing balls in the main bearing, and liked the sound over the original stainless steel, which is over 15 years in place, as my ORBE was bought in 2000 and has the AC Motor & QC control.
    But since this was the start of a set of changes, I tried the Delrin bearing balls to the suspension towers, but also fitted the Solid Air Pylons, which I had from before Christmas. Took some time to get the height correct on my Orbe, as the motor has a top piece which overhangs the motor unit to match the suspended sub-platter. There is a cut out ring on the motor housing, you need to ensure that the sub-platter is in the middle of, otherwise it bangs against the sides of the motor housing.
    Then tried the Delrin bearing ball in the turntable bearing too, to match the suspension - all good, improved soundstage and dynamics. Tried the suspension tower covers and the soundstage collapsed - so off with those.
    Then tried the Ceramic Si3N4 back in the main bearing again & further improvements over the Delrin.

So have now a set of Alumina Oxide Ceramic Balls (White) to try in both the main bearing & maybe the suspension posts, however there was a settling period with the changes in suspension.

Certainly worthy of experimentation.

Will dig the proper camera out and post some photos of my deck & support structure.

Does anyone know what changes where introduced in the Orbe SE-R?

Thanks, Simon

I'm peter.

as far as i can tell they have changed the bearing to ceramic , the plinth is composite now,, , the motor was adjusted in height to accomodate the changes to the plinth , pictures on the hifi lounge,,
    http://hifilounge.co.uk/michell-engi...se-r-turntable

cheers
    pete

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    as far as i can tell they have changed the bearing to ceramic , the plinth is composite now,, , the motor was adjusted in height to accomodate the changes to the plinth , pictures on the hifi lounge,,
    http://hifilounge.co.uk/michell-engi...se-r-turntable

cheers
    pete
    Do you know what type of Ceramic in the bearing? And a composite platter?

Will try giving Steve Roland a call - we spoke about replacement lids for my Orbe, belts & my ISObase.

I'm peter.

i was told it was the white alu ox , the platter is still the same it was the plinth that changed , i do not think steve will sell you one as it is may be a special like they did the odyssey .only so many made,

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    i was told it was the white alu ox , the platter is still the same it was the plinth that changed , i do not think steve will sell you one as it is may be a special like they did the odyssey .only so many made,
    Ok, looking again at the pictures posted https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...rbe-SE-R-Build! it looks like it is a SE spider on a custom ISObase with the holes for the motor and under the arm.
    I have the full double plinth of the ORBe on a rectangular ISObase with tender cups under the ISObase tenderfeet.
    So will need to allocate some time for swapping the Black Ceramic to the White then.

What’s the recommendation for the bearing ball in the Suspension posts? I can’t adjust the height of the sub-frame against the motor, due to the top cross section on the ORBE motor housing, and the cut out collar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast