+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Jeffrey.

Here's my Gyro SE with Pete's Pylons.

Thank you Peter!

I'm peter.

looking great , i hope they give you a lot of pleasure ,,and the deck stays with you for a long time,

just an up date to stop confusion ,, the measurements needed are the 3 holes in the bottom of the chassis and the 3 holes in the top off the chassis,, i have found because the decks may have had the upgraded suspension before the current owner it means the spring retaining washer in the base may be the wrong size ,also had a lot with 3 different size holes,, both top and bottom,,

I'm peter.

After 4-5 hours with your pylons on I have to say I’m having a bittersweet experience.
    Whilst the Orbe is still better it’s not as black and white..... and that’s messed with my head. My Orbe and it’s arm and cartridge are 4 times the cost of my gyro and arm and cartridge. But they no longer sound 4 times better..... they did before.

a new user of pete's pylons,,

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    After 4-5 hours with your pylons on I have to say I’m having a bittersweet experience.
    Whilst the Orbe is still better it’s not as black and white..... and that’s messed with my head. My Orbe and it’s arm and cartridge are 4 times the cost of my gyro and arm and cartridge. But they no longer sound 4 times better..... they did before.

a new user of pete's pylons,,
    Have to admit that this thought/question crossed my mind before: How would a Gyro, say with Pete's pylons, the main bearing ball replaced with a ceramic ball and the suspension posts treated with isolating/damping material under the balls compare against a stock Orbe assuming both were using the same arm and cartridge?

My money would be on the tweaked Gyro!!

The good news, at least for the guy with both Gyro & Orbe, is that he can apply the same upgrades/tweaks to the Orbe.

I'm peter.

he has a certain competitors pylons in the orbe,, he though the ones i did where just for the gyro ,,and now he wants a set for his orbe,,

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Have to admit that this thought/question crossed my mind before: How would a Gyro, say with Pete's pylons, the main bearing ball replaced with a ceramic ball and the suspension posts treated with isolating/damping material under the balls compare against a stock Orbe assuming both were using the same arm and cartridge?

My money would be on the tweaked Gyro!!

The good news, at least for the guy with both Gyro & Orbe, is that he can apply the same upgrades/tweaks to the Orbe.
    That's a very good question Blake....and I'd say your suspicions were quite correct...however, once the Orbe has the pylon upgrades..it will give the same effect to the Orbe and send it too, to a higer level again ....The pylons are genious...Al..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Hi all i have to put note if you use the ceramic bearing in the main please make sure the deck is earthed, as the ceramic bearing may increase the static on the deck , i have the deck earthed and use an earthed sweep arm, so i never noticed this before ,

I'm Andy.

Been using the pylons on my Orbe for a long time (through the various incarnations) and it is now superb in what it delivers sonically.
    Not managed to compare it to many other TT's after the change but not bothered as from where it started to now - different league
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

i am happy you are still enjoying them ,, as you know that the cost is lower then it should be with a total loss on the first sets,,and continuing to keep to that was not an option ,, with the machine shop set up fee of £90 per set and then the cost of the run
    Michell have changed the sizes of the holes again in 2017 ,,,also there seems to be a lot with 6 different size size holes, 3 top of the chassis and the 3 under the chassis ,, have gone from an average of 34.8 to 33.5 . 33.7 33.2 small size 28.9 ,,to 27.8
    it would be easy for me to make them under size, but then the chassis will slip,,the whole point is to stop this with out the use of a secondary device like feet or string ,, or the need to drill the chassis to do that ,,
    every set is a one off ,, to fit that specific Gyro /Orbe, and not put together with some string ,,

with regards to who is making them that is a secret ,, they are on sale , through me,,, but a new website will be launched,,
    recently i was asked how they work , if i put that i might as well not make them, , there are fans of these and fans of solidair pylons both have different principles,,both go about this in different ways,, Mine from an engineering back ground and i will not comment on the back ground of solidair as i do not know,, and will not leave Derogatory remarks,,about a competitors product ,,
    oh and apparently i am a very unhelpful person ,, who is angry ,, LOL ,, on pfm thank you for this and the interest in my product

pete
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 13-04-2019 at 16:28.

I'm peter.

After reading the comments and many questions , all I can say is this. In my humble opinion I think these Pylons, that I have designed and had machined, are a vast improvement over the oem springs, I do not have any graphs and I do not do misleading reviews, or make any sort of misleading claims, and I cannot answer technically, as to how they work except to say, with the 100% positive feedback, from the people who have invested in them, that they improve the performance of the turntable they are fitted too, to a very high level.

The proof of the pudding, is in the tasting, which has been left to the Turntable owners who have purchased them, from all around the globe. The feedback which has come back, is 100% positive. Every single buyer is delighted, with the results they have, from fitting this pylon upgrade.

They fit the Gyro, Orbe, and Odyseey ,, Gyro 'SE' old and new,, The springs are replaced with 18 0 rings, which are suspended on a very special machined castle nut and a base made by an engineering company to my design.

I have not got any test sheets, to show anyone and will not pretend that I do.

I do not know anyone who will provide a test sheet or a test house to do this.

I rely on my ears and the ears of the many users of my Pylon design, who report back to me with their findings, which as of to date, is100% positive feedback.

At present, you can buy the pylons from True point audio., who also manufacture upgrade parts for pink triangle turntables and SME arms , until we can get a web site up and a trading standards approved ad.

All the very best and thank you all, for your interest and feedback in my pylon design.

Pete

Thank you tad i forgot about the odyssey and i own one lol
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 16-04-2019 at 18:22.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast