+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm peter.

Hi ALan thanks for the above , i wont let them go any where until they are correct , which the mk 2 are , i have already been asked about when they will be ready , however i am relaying on truepoint to make the parts, the above were too soft , i have had to get specials from a different manufacture , and supplier , all take time, it is better to be honest when i am donig this , pete

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    I've tried the prototype out of Pete's Feet. I was going to wait for the newer version, before I posted anything on the forum..however, Pete has put his thoughts up, so here's mine...As Pete says, the protoype has a wobble with the original Michell feet fitted to this new isolation piece. I'm waiting for the new pieces to arrive to rectify this problem, which I'm certain will cure this little hiccup perfectly..on first listen, there is now near silence behind the music and there is near zero surface noise from the lp, even between the tracks, I'm listening hard for noise, but hearing next to nothing..This in turn is letting more of the music through...the micro dynamics are there in all their glory, along with the rest of mids, highs and bass. I've always had a problem with surface noise, but these wee isolation devices have near cured the problem...looking forward to receiving the finished units Pete...Madaleine sounds fantastic..every element of the tracks are shining through. Sade has never sounded so good..

P.S. no pics yet, till the finished design is ready..these again are another design, which allows the user to put the deck back to spec, with little effort...these feet will also work with the skateboard feet too, but I may change back to Michell's original feet yet, although I have tried the design with both the skateboard wheels and Michell's original feet, there is very little in it...
    The mark 2 has landed....a stiffer version, which combats the wobble which has now gone all together. There is still ample flex in the unit to retain the perfect isolation, keeping the deck standing firmly in place..The new isolator kit, has had a nice face lift too...all will be revealed soon...The sound from my deck is wonderful to start with...I can now hear incredibly detailed vocals right forward and sweet..the drummers kit is snappy..pianos and the Hammond organ sounds are smooth...Guitars, saxaphones and brass placed nicely so you can here where they are and last but not least, the bass is fat, fast and tight. The sound space is quite amazing and the music is even more wonderful...another fabulous inexpensive isolation upgrade for the Gyrodec..The Orbe version is in the pipeline...watch this space.....
    Last edited by mad-moon; 07-03-2021 at 00:25.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm TAD.

cannot wait to improve my Odyssey.Well done guys.

I'm peter.

Thanks alan for the update, i am now waiting on Truepoint to produce them ,
    pete

I'm peter.

this week i changed the Motor out of the deck for a stronger motor the cost was £150 , the problem then is finding a PSU to drive it , the HR psu would not , the motor is a promotec 9904-120-16706 24v , 7 watt higher tourque motor , i was wondering why a change in motor would result in a dramatically different different sound, more clear and more defined , after all it is just doing the same job, at 33.3 rpm ,

I'm Alan.

Just received my psu/speed controller, new motor and pulley...the motor is 24volts and has a lot more torque compared to Michell's standard motor...The speed control side of things gives you 3 speeds..33 1/3, 45 and 78. It also has a speed trimming facility via two buttons on the front of the unit (see pics)..this is plugged into the household 240v supply and stepped down via the psu's internal adapter to the correct voltage to run the motor. The original twin pully is replaced via a single solid brass pulley..My Gyrodec now spins straight up to speed in a flash and is steady as a rock, with the extra torque from the motor, the platter is spinning without effort and is a lot more stable. This just adds again more to the listening experience, with the speed being perfectly controlled via the new psu/speed control..It's a pleasure also being able to switch speed without having to remove the belt and contaminating it with the natural oils in the skin..Everything is housed in a nice alumininm enclosure, with acrylic front and back panels and is built with high quality components..all in all an excellent addition to the Gyrodec, to yet again, enhance the turntables capability as a reference turntable...anyone wanting further information on this psu/speed control unit will need to contact Truepoint Audio..

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm peter.

Hi MR Moon that looks good, i have now got an upgraded TPA PSU , the ease of use is fantastic , and no need to get dirt on the belt , it is rock soild, for speed ,
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 25-04-2021 at 13:37.

I'm peter.

arm board isolation is it possible on a gyro or orbe, in the past i have tried all kinds to do this, with sorbothane and rubber bobbins to replace the michell standoffs, they work well at £7 for 4 off ebay , but i use what i would consider to be an expensive cartridge , i was worried if any movement was happening ,that i could not see, so i use a sold acrylic armboard , with dots of grungbuster which the armboard sits on , i was also concerned that if this armboard or the michell was not perfetly level it would mean the channel separation, channel balance, and signal direction may be wrong , the only way to check that is by using the appropriate equipment , Test lp , and fozgometer , i took the decisson to use a solid platform and also protect the cartrdige and the vinyl from and damage .but then if you wish to try the bobbins they work , and i may yet go back to them , 3 off the male to feamale bobbins where £7 for 3 in M5 , they worked but i did not have any thing to double check the effect on the cantileaver ,i now have a fozgometer and test lp , i may retest this at a later date ,

I'm peter.

these are the businness for armboard isolation , https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373068142...p2060353.m2749.
    they are an industry standard isolater , the M5 x 10 mm x 16 mm diameter the bolt is seperate to the female part , so the board is isolated, . the cost £16

I'm Alan.

Another wonderful turntable utilising o-rings in its construction. It Just goes to show it's a concept that works a treat where isolation is concerned...

https://www.vertereacoustics.com/rg1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast