+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

I'm Andy.

Glad for those who have changed the arm board and heard improvements.
    Seems to be no end of tweaking is available with these decks
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm peter.

Hi All i think i have just about done what i could afford to do and then pass it on to anyone who wants to buy them off truepoint,, it has been a long slog ,, with help from members, all i can say is now sit back and enjoy the Michell Turtable at its very best , or just leave it the way it was ,, all the upgrades /tweaks can be reversed ,with no problems to the original michell set up , it will always be a Michell Gyro or Michell Orbe,, not mine or truepoints,, thank you for the kind comments on the new armbaords,, which had a bad start with one being made wrong ,and has been sorted out ,, the rest being spot on , i have left all the comments to the users of the armboards and the pylons,, last sets went to the Netherlands , then to liverpool , and canada , armboards to uk , canada ,

atb
    pete

I'm TAD.

Hi there Peter and AOS friends,

I'm just in the process of finishing off my Odyssey with the new armboard. The look is fab. The sound for the basic deck is now , well, awesome. I still have to put into effect some tweaks for the base. ( Target speaker spike protecters for the feet together with SDS anti vibration plates. ) A few simple rubber grips to make sure that the motor base stays put appears to work too. My thanks to you Pete, for making a good deck now sound outstanding.
    Aaah, now back to the vinyl, which should keep me going over the next few winter months here in Montreal, where it can go to MINUS 40C, yep that's right! Santa needs his anti-freeze and windscreen washer fluid, which is rated to Minus 45C. A big difference from UK winters.
    To all Michell owners who have these additional parts in their decks, enjoy the extended lease of life which the decks have been given by Peter's contributions.
    Cheers!
    Tad.

I'm Vince.

Hi, as I promised here are the photo's of my new arm board from Peter.
    Myself and Alan, (Mad-Moon) are sitting listening to the Korgis and Buffalo Springfield. It is absolutely astonishing the improvement this has made to my Turntable, Alan is sitting with his jaw hitting the floor, and myself.

[IMG]IMG_0004 by Vincent Parkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0003 by Vincent Parkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0004 by Vincent Parkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm peter.

hi vince , good to see, i notice you put the spacers back becuse of the height of the carridge i presume, i just designed them , you have to speak to Charlie who makes them and will sell you one, they are all made one at a time, bespoke ,
    due to the nature and the cost of material , time involved , they are not a Cheap thing ,, They are a Full Armboard and not a armboard Ring ,, held on by nylon screws seperated by a o ring , to michell specification ,,although Michell, have nothing to do with the design or manufacture or Gert Pederson
    , it is just logical to make the board out of acrylic,, as long as the weight is correct to what i have been told by Michell , so now you get the benefits of the acrylic made into a full armboard,, with the added weights so the board will be the correct weight ,
    it seems daft to ask how heavey the arm is you are using ,it is so he can work out the weights required , the board is drilled with 12 holes to take 12 weights,, as i have a techno arm i can weigh it with the board ,, until it weighs the correct amount for the board to work,,
    dont be surprised if you are asked by Charlie to weigh the arm you are using ,,

enjoy the music
    pete

I'm Vince.

Just to clarify, Pete designed the armboard and I got mine off him but it was made by true point audio

I'm peter.

Hi Vince thank you ,, i have been having a platter made of acrylic some 45mm thick , the weights off the gyro will be inserted into the bottom of the platter when complete,, it is in the process of being machined,, i have also just designed a armpod that i am having made for SME and Jelco ,, arms, to use the std armboard or a new one if you have the new o ring pylon ,, this is a work in progress,,as yet it is still on the drawing board

The platter is in the middle of being made.,too my design by truepoint ,, i like the gyro platter but find the drive grooves are a pain , so to keep the look and get more mass, we will insert the platter weights into the acrylic one,,, i was looing for a flat belt but could not buy one,, unless a special was made,, the weight of the acrylic is about 5kg at this moment ,, and then the weights have to be added,, there is also a tripple pully to be made,, one 45 and 2x 33,, to use the michell belts,,

have a good christmass and a happy new year to all of the AOS Members,,

pete

I'm peter.

Hi All so after Truepoint making and selling a lot of the pylons, there was one complaint received, which is the result of fiddling with them , and not fitting them properly, putting the o rings in wrong and using thinner than needed, then removing of the bearings in the pylons bases,, also removing the pads in the pylons which the suspension sits on , to get a realy bad result, the reason the pylons are stiff to use is the orings and not elastic bungee chord, they will no longer bounce all over the place , the stiffer the less movement of the chassis, the center bush is there to help the chassis from moving ,
    they are not single point contact any more?? ,The nut with the o rings on sit of the original single point contact adjuster with the bearing inside,
    the microphone effect has always been part of this deck , from the design of the deck you will always get some sort of microphone effect as the aluminium chassis has no where else to send the frequences to,
    it has and continues to be a bugbear to try and get rid of that effect , but the only way is to use a seperate arm pod and not clamp the arm directly to the chassis
    he has continued with a app of to measure the wow , which means nothing as he has changed the original supplied pylons, to his pylons, and not mine, Truepoint have offered him a full refund, i wait to see what the reply is from him , but out of a lot of sets this is the only one,

pete

I'm peter.

well the guy got back and now says there is noting wrong with them and he is keeping them , HIFI a funny old world, plese note these use o rings not bungee chords, they no longer bounce , the oring will stretch and return only

pete

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    well the guy got back and now says there is noting wrong with them and he is keeping them , HIFI a funny old world, plese note these use o rings not bungee chords, they no longer bounce , the oring will stretch and return only

pete
    Mmm, sounds like the person new they were an improvement really, but was moaning about other issues with a Gyrodec or Orbe that we all know about, microphonics from chassis to arm, static if not earthed correctly etc. the pylons you designed are a massive improvement over the pyramidal springs from Michell that allow the chassis to wiggle all over the place, perfect to max WOW and get a good Flutter.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast