+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Customizable' kits for Denon DL-103

I'm Peter.

Default 'Customizable' kits for Denon DL-103

This company seems to offer a flexible approach to mods for the DL-103. Anyone tried one?

https://audiomusikraft.com/products-services/

Jeff's Place are going to review it soon.

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=11749

I'm Deleted.

Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

This made me smile over at 'Jeff's place':

I would highly recommend that you add to that list of components a pair of the silver Duelund CAST autotransformers ($6219 USD per pair) to give you a 100% Duelund CAST signal path from input to output of the crossovers. While the Duelund CAST copper autotransformers for $4423 USD are wonderful too, the Duelund CAST silver autotransformers are so much better for their $6219 USD per pair asking price that it makes them seem like a bargain.
    He is very keen* on his Duelund . Apparently $6219 US is a 'bargain' for a pair of small transformers....

*Very , very, very keen
    Account Deleted

I'm Spartacus.

Wow! £176 for an "aluminium shell" and £446 for the cheapest "aluminium shell kit"! I wonder who would buy these.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Deleted.

Someone who thinks $6K+ is good value for a pair of transformers.... .
    Account Deleted

I'm Peter.

Must admit that I didn't look at the prices. For that sort of total outlay, you can get a very fine cartridge indeed. However, it says the hardware is re-usable (unlike others? Zu for instance), but the bit that I thought was mildly interesting was the 'tuning' facility.

RothwellAudio Guest

They look very nicely made indeed but the wooden aspect of them is surely just decoration or a gimmick if they're claiming any sonic relevance.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    They look very nicely made indeed but the wooden aspect of them is surely just decoration or a gimmick if they're claiming any sonic relevance.
    I used to think that wood type was audio snake oil but the more I've experimented the more I realise to some extent that certain wood types can be quite beneficial. Bamboo (ok it's a grass) and ebony have been examples that pleasantly surprised me. Have you seen the latest van den hul cartridge with the denuded wooden body?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Justin.

Seen this around. Looks a bit fussy to me. Couldn't the same effect be achieved by using a wooden headshell?

As it happens, Zu Audio just emailed folk to say they have a new batch of their matched, potted and graded 103s available, in mark 2 form. I already have one (Grade 2, just shy of a Prime), and although I'm passing on this round, I'd happily get another a some point.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I used to think that wood type was audio snake oil but the more I've experimented the more I realise to some extent that certain wood types can be quite beneficial. Bamboo (ok it's a grass) and ebony have been examples that pleasantly surprised me. Have you seen the latest van den hul cartridge with the denuded wooden body?
    Working with wood is something I'm particularly interested in and I make musical instruments in a non-commercial capacity (ie I'm an amateur ). I'm reasonably familiar with different woods and their acoustic properties but the tiny amounts in these cartridge bodies compared to the mass of aluminium used leads me to believe the wood won't have a significant impact. Anyway, I don't want to spend several hundred pounds to find out either way

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast