+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4K blu ray player - worth the jump?

I'm Grant.

Except tv is rarely watched on a bluray player
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Beeb arent broadcasting in 4K...
    You must've missed Blue Planet II, then Martin: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220

It's utterly stunning!

As for Blu-ray players, yes you should get one, as there are some great films about, even in standard HD, many at bargain prices now in the sales. I even picked up some 4K ones in HMV for £20, such as Alien Resurrection, and the quality is superb - either will make standard DVDs look like VERY poor relations!

I use this Sony player, which comes in at well under your budget: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21759-...SABEgKkGPD_BwE

Yes it's plastic (although well screwed together and solid enough), but unless you're planning on having it out on show, then that's not an issue. Even then, it's not exactly an ugly duckling. Mine sits next to my Sky box, which is also plastic, inside a wooden cabinet, and just blends into the room. It's just another box, at the end of the day, designed to perform a specific task.

And that task is performed to a very high standard, producing superb picture and sound quality, used in conjunction with my Sony multi-channel amp and 4K TV. It also sounds pretty decent as a CD player. Highly recommended, as a 'dip your toe in the water' option that will open up the world of 4K Blu-rays for you, from which you can decide if it's necessary to spend any more or not

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    This discussion raises the predicament which my stance places me in, and you may think that I am an old cantankerous fart, or stick in the mud.

I think that so much TV is utter crap that I cannot find anything worth wasting the time on and think on the whole it is designed for people who are so knackered after their arduous days, that they use it inattentively as a sedative/palliative for relaxation.

I am also pessimistic about current music O/P which to me hardly merits the description 'Art'. Given this disposition I can hardly see a point in wanting to improve the quality of the vehicle for its reception, though I have a very fine music system after years of striving.

TV is only minimally available in HD ATM, and though initially exciting as improved resolution tends to provoke, seeing facial flaws, eg spots and blemishes, hardly really affects the understanding of the content of the programme material.

With poor material, lacking any subtlety, what is the point in increasing the quality of the medium itself unless you want to evaluate the poor standards produced by the organisations?

To put it another way, if we are going to consume poison, does it matter whether the spoon is clean, or what it is made from?
    Some good points Dennis, you cantankerous old fart.

I dont watch broadcast telly anymore, purely because theres no need and switching channels between cooking shows, reality tv and other crap isn’t worth my time.
    With the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like you pick and choose what your content is - great.
    A TV licence is expensive and (frankly) a rip-off given what you get...some would even argue its a scam.

A Netflix/Amazon subscription is cheaper than a TV licence and gives value for money.
    The BBC makes its own content...fine, but so does Netflix (Black Mirror, Mindhunter, American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, New Star Trek..a ton of other TV boxsets from around the world (not to mention literally thousands of ever changing movies) I know which is far better.
    Get your telly viewing connected to the internet and you’ll never look back. Seriously.
    So much fantastic free stuff out there on Youtube, complete movies, documentries you name it. Lots of 4K content too..for free.
    Starting point in an Amazon Fire stick if your telly doesnt have smart apps built in.

Does 4K make less than perfect source material actually worse and less enjoyable to watch?
    Not at all...Why would it?

I hear you on improved resolution making the ‘warts n all’ of older/ less polished productions more obvious, but if someone watches something and only sees that and not the story, setting, characters etc then Each to their own, but doesnt that, like, take the joy out of the experience?
    In music terms is that a bit like watching a live gig and not enjoying it because it doesn’t sound hifi enough?
    Missing the point imo.

For myself, I have a Nvidia Shield android TV box passing Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc into my Oppo and onto the big screen, upscsaled to 4K with audio fed to my Dac.
    Everything is upscaled to 4K and the experience is tremendous, even on old stuff.
    Watched a few old episodes of Space 1999 and sure, you can see the flaws in the sets n stuff...the modelwork is hillarious in 4k on a big screen but its an absolute treat.

Know what it reminded me of?
    Watching a theatre play, could see the sets weren’t great and costumes were iffy, but that increased feeling of grit and realism actually added to the experience.
    I enjoyed it more.

But hey, Im one of those who can listen to my favourite band in the car and not enjoy the music any less.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-01-2018 at 10:25.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Good player that Sony
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's very high in the 'SPPV' (and Picture-per-Value) stakes, Gaz, and ideal for folks just getting into 4K Blu-ray

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's very high in the 'SPPV' (and Picture-per-Value) stakes, Gaz, and ideal for folks just getting into 4K Blu-ray

Marco.
    Totally mate.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Dennis.

Gaz, I am in the process of working out the best reforming my TV equipment, I made a mistake a couple of years ago buying a mid market Panasonic Freeview set and a keyboard and mouse which do not really work at all well with the internet facility.

After refurbishing my lounge and reinstating the Hi-Fi with new improved stuff, I will re-address this and formulate a new and effective TV/internet/streaming system, but the numerousness and maze of possibilities is confusing to me, and I need to thoroughly research the whole thing and get it right this time.

I'm Gary.

Dennis,
    yeah...no point throwing good money after bad, best to get it right.
    Decide what you want, dont want and buy the best gear in that field you can afford.

Keywords:
    Netflix, 4K, Kodi, Roon, Oppo.

Do you want to go surround sound for instance, or just 2 channel...kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Gaz, I am in the process of working out the best reforming my TV equipment, I made a mistake a couple of years ago buying a mid market Panasonic Freeview set and a keyboard and mouse which do not really work at all well with the internet facility.

After refurbishing my lounge and reinstating the Hi-Fi with new improved stuff, I will re-address this and formulate a new and effective TV/internet/streaming system, but the numerousness and maze of possibilities is confusing to me, and I need to thoroughly research the whole thing and get it right this time.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-01-2018 at 13:22.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Dennis.

But the range of possibilities is enormous Gaz, and so often I see posts on forums saying that they have to buy yet another 'interfacing' bit of kit to make things work.

This is funny from members of another forum where they all espouse the use of active speakers to eliminate all the 'old legacy' Hi-Fi complications, dusty rack full of gear, and then they have numerous little bits of cheap digital signal gear to make things work.

I'm looking at Panasonic Sat TV, Mac mini, with remote keyboard - I don't want a HDMI lead across the lounge to the system which I have to plug and unplug every time I want to use it, and I have an Arcam irDAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123