+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vintage Tuners and the Aerial you use ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Well after a few days fruitless searching for 300 Ohm cable and WF-100 75 Ohm cable among real shops, I had to buy on-line. I could not believe no-body had this stuff to sell and Maplins cables were crap and way to dear....they wanted £1.70 for cheap nasty looking 300 Ohm cable and £3 a M for air gap Sat cable (didn't look like they had enough for what I wanted anyway).

You try to support real shops and get nothing for your trouble

Regards D S D L
    How much 75 Ohm cable do you need Neil?

Regards
    Barry

I'm Mike.

[QUOTE=Dalek Supreme D L;98055 .......... and Maplins cables were crap and way too dear....

Regards D S D L[/QUOTE]

I have reservations about Craplins. I was recommended a multimeter recently for a specific purpose and realised when I got home that the one thing I wanted (continuity) was the only thing it didn't do!

They don't, it seems, sell anything which can test valves.

They are illiterate. Big notice in the window last Saturday stated

' APOLOGY'S for........'

I've had a few unsatisfying experiences in the past, but hey! They're the only game in town. Where have all the little electronics shops gone?

I remember when I bought my FM tuner it had only an F socket. This was before satellite TV and I'd never seen an f socket before, nor knew what one was. So I dropped into the local BT Telecom workshop, and they drew a blank as well. So I asked My radio Ham friend. He put me right!

I did offer my (unusual) tuner to DSDL for review but unfortunately we don't live anywhere near each other. Great Pity!

Kris.
    Last edited by Kris; 28-01-2010 at 17:08. Reason: spelink mystayk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I remember when I bought my FM tuner it had only an F socket. This was before satellite TV and I'd never seen an f socket before, nor knew what one was. So I dropped into the local BT Telecom workshop, and they drew a blank as well. So I asked My radio Ham friend. He put me right!

I did offer my (unusual) tuner to DSDL for review but unfortunately we don't live anywhere near each other. Great Pity!

Kris.
    Indeed you did, and indeed it is a pity we live so far apart. However the offer warmed my heart...you are a gentleman. Thank you.

I got the 300 Ohm cable from a Ham supplier....they know a lot about radios, Fm and valves. Many still use rigs with valves. My dads rig is solid state, but with a valve power supply. He is into amateur radio.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 28-01-2010 at 17:27.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I have reservations about Craplins. I was recommended a multimeter recently for a specific purpose and realised when I got home that the one thing I wanted (continuity) was the only thing it didn't do!

They don't, it seems, sell anything which can test valves.

They are illiterate. Big notice in the window last Saturday stated

' APOLOGY'S for........'

I've had a few unsatisfying experiences in the past, but hey! They're the only game in town. Where have all the little electronics shops gone?
    Indeed..where are they ? I visited one and they could not help me. I searched for a couple of sat install companies I used to use years ago, when In the brown goods trade...gone. All very depressing.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    How much 75 Ohm cable do you need Neil?

Regards
    PM sent.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Andre

No not at all. However recent events may lead to FM going on longer than 5 years (see Hi-Fi World last month). A number of radio broadcasters are rebelling against the BBC led switch off.

Even if FM is switched off in 5 years (very doubtful) I will continue to use FM till then. 5 years is long enough time, to make an exercise like this still imho worthwhile.

Regards D S D L
    Hi Neil, The BBC are now saying that FM will continue but only for ultra-local or "community" stations (one can imagine how rubbish they will be!). However, the Government's digital radio strategy is in such a mess (caused by the too early adoption of crappy DAB when virtually every other country in the world wanted little or nothing to do with it) that I think FM as we know it will continue well into the future (I would but money on DAB being switched off before the BBC radio 1/2/3/4 stations stop broadcasting on FM!).
    Gordon.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DirectDrive_Gordon View Post
    Hi Neil, The BBC are now saying that FM will continue but only for ultra-local or "community" stations (one can imagine how rubbish they will be!). However, the Government's digital radio strategy is in such a mess (caused by the too early adoption of crappy DAB when virtually every other country in the world wanted little or nothing to do with it) that I think FM as we know it will continue well into the future (I would but money on DAB being switched off before the BBC radio 1/2/3/4 stations stop broadcasting on FM!).
    We live in hope Gordon, we live in hope.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm drunk.

I have just managed to score a pristine Marantz 2100 off the bay for £25, which I consider a bargain. It sounds far more open and inviting than my more "advanced" Technics Quartz Synthesized jobbie, which is heading to the local car boot.

It also wins far more brownie points for looks as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123