+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVDs Poorly Manufactured Off Centre.....Drive Wear?

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yeah I will make a magnetic bearing NOT which leaves option B with my fine grade wet and dry paper.
    So don't Far easier to do nothing rather than address the problem

I'm Martin.

Its not that. I dont really understand what you are getting at in terms of balancing them or whether its worth my time. Ive just had another rough edged disc which spins ok without vibration.

Maybe the original example is cut off centre.

I dont want to sound anal over this and maybe nobody else is that bothered. I dont particularly want the drive in two machines sounding like a lawnmower with a bad disc. It was cheap enough to put it down to experience

If it happens again with a boxset for example, I will be sending it back.

All the best
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 06-06-2017 at 02:14.

I'm Russell.

If it is a rare problem, I agree there is no sense in getting excited about fixing it. And like the device I mentioned that trues a disk, if the center is off, balancing the disk will not make the "groove" concentric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Aaaaaargh. Just bought another off centre disc. The latest Roger Waters The Wall. Had a good relationship with the seller and it cost me £4 new so Ive taken it on the chin...again! I may actually contact the seller about it. Cant play it again as its seriously vibrating the players and wont be doing them any good

Right thats it!...Blu ray from now on. Im buying it again on Blu ray and getting a Blu ray player

Im sick of this and DVD standards have been slipping for a long time. Bye Bye DVDs because production is getting too shoddy
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 06-01-2018 at 20:01.

I'm Chris.

Russell's right - DVDs do spin quite a lot faster. Never had this with a CD, even though so look shoddily-made with sharp edges and whatnot. It has to be centred correctly surely, if the picture is OK.

Can you take it back and swap it? Assuming it was a real shop in the real world.

I'm Martin.

Yep and a disc will only vibrate like that because its uneven off centre in some way. (thickness, edge, hole or paint) Ive held it up back to back with another one and it looks ever so slightly off centre with a more poorly cut hole. Somethings causing this and I suspect a cost cutting process.

Ive got no chance of an online refund. The new disc surface looks mint and it plays. This guy has been alright but he is not running an off centre testing process. Thats why I go aaaargh as Ive got a duff dvd and very little I can do about it.

I might mention it to the guy. What effin annoys me is that its the sort of problem that can be seen as subjective when it isnt. Thats two Ive had fairly recently and Im surprised this issue isnt reported by others. Nothing really on google about it so I must be going paranoid

Anyway Im going Blue ray and I will not be buying DVDs again unless there is no Blu Ray option and they are charity shop one view prices

I'm James.

Can you film what's happening when the 'fault' occurs so we may see if they are indeed spinning off-centre?
    Are these Commercially available DVD's or DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW's etc etc?
    What Player are you using?

I am not for a minute disputing you are having problems but after 30 years repairing domestic electronics I have not come across this before in a domestic DVD player, only in a PC Drive which, when Ripping CD's and having to spin at 'excessive' speeds I would experience some vibration and worst case scenarios would not be able to read the disc. Playing back at 'normal ' CD speeds it was fine but at the ripping speeds, similar to DVD speeds, it would vibrate. This was due, I think, to variances in the thickness of the Disc caused by the Ink for the Labels on some CD's. When watching these discs spin I never saw them spinning off-centre.

Some 'damping' added to the very cheap Plastic Mechanism cured the problem changing the resonant frquencies of the Mech.

Jim.

I'm Martin.

Its the same in six players Jim. My trusty well reviewed black Toshiba 220E, A Sony NS29, Xbox 360 Slim, Original X Box, Playstation 2. All these units have drives which can easily cope with a good dvd. It also vibrates in the laptop. They are not the most expensive drives in the world but can easily cope with a well made dvd

Two or three times recently is too often.

Its definately the disc..some players can be damped with a finger on the side but thats not the point...They are vibrating excessively due to the disc rotating unevenly. I dont think its acceptable even if others do.

Its a commercially produced Dvd of the latest Wall Tour. I cant see where it was made yet. Someone can have this disc because I want to get to the bottom of this. Im surprised that others havent reported this fault. Why would I want a player sounding like a fridge compressor or power tool with this disc?

I will send it to you Jim no obligation. I dont want it and it would be worth your second diagnosis or opinion. Im buying the new Blu Ray version for £6 then a player Not even much difference between the discount disc prices so maybe I should have gone Blu ray ages ago
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 09-01-2018 at 14:18.

I'm Jo.

'Has anyone else noticed this issue with DVDs?'

+1

Could be a number of things including off centre spindle aperture, uneven spindle hole circumference, variations in the thickness of the disc &c. So far I've only noticed it on a few DVDs and not on Blu-rays [though I'm not sure why a BR disc could not be manufactured with the similar shortcomings.]

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    'Has anyone else noticed this issue with DVDs?'

+1

Could be a number of things including off centre spindle aperture, uneven spindle hole circumference, variations in the thickness of the disc &c. So far I've only noticed it on a few DVDs and not on Blu-rays [though I'm not sure why a BR disc could not be manufactured with the similar shortcomings.]
    Yes Im glad you have also noticed. Im just sorting out a second opinion with Jim now. I have 170 DVDs and still consider this a rare occurence but it seems to be getting worse.

I dont buy many DVDs now. Ive had two or three fairly recently with this problem so the percentage would seem high. I wonder whether the Dvd is now just seen as the second class, magazine giveaway and they are cutting production costs.

Its definately an issue and Im surprised it hasnt cropped up on Google complaints more often.

I sat down to enjoy the film but it was spoilt by the noise and feeling that my player was going to shake itself to an early repair bill. I dont know how the drives cope with it but it cant do them any good. I put some headphones on and skipped though it because Im not playing that disc again.

Ive ordered the Blu ray and let this be the start of a good Blu Ray collection. I will make the assumption that Blu Rays have a more complex production process and therefore better quality control.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 09-01-2018 at 14:14.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast