+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The walpurgis fix for buzzing and rubbing speakers!

I'm Geoff.

Default The walpurgis fix for buzzing and rubbing speakers!

Sometimes, a driver voicecoil may become misaligned in the magnet gap and rub against either the pole piece or outer face of the gap. If your bass driver is buzzing or has a binding coil, this may help. I've offered this advice several times and provided a remedy to a few people. I've used this trick myself successfully on occasion. Lets face it, if you have a dodgy bass driver, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

One bass driver. I this case, an 8" KLH.

This is the important bit. The area where the back of the cone meets the rear suspension spider (the corrugated part).

Using a finger poked through the chassis opening, work the cone back and forth on its suspension whilst pressing it forward (across) just in front of the join with the rear spider. Do this all the way round the cone. If the coil is fouling, you will feel it rubbing. Do this as many times as it takes you to identify the point at which it rubs most.

Once you are sure where it is rubbing most, mark this point with a felt tip pen.

Next. Feed reasonably strong elastic bands through the speaker chassis openings and around the back of the cone so that they pull in the opposite direction to the felt tip pen mark you made on the chassis, ensuring the bands pull firmly, but not so hard as to risk causing damage and secure the bands in place using sticky tape or tying them or as I did using a paper clip.

Then, use a hairdryer set to hot through the chassis openings and onto the rear spider all the way round. This relaxes the spider and allows the coil to move over slightly.

Set the dryer to cold and go round the spider again. This 'sets' the new coil position.

Remove the elastic bands and hopefully you will have a cured drive unit. Occasionally you may need to try this technique a couple of times before you get it spot on!

Note: This will not work if the coil has been overheated and is binding due to swelled lacquer nor will it work if the coil is distorted and no longer circular.

Last edited by walpurgis; 07-05-2017 at 09:38.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Made this a sticky for you Geoff. think it will be a great help for folk
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

danilo Guest

Clever trick indeed.. Wonder if it has permanence?
    Though in truth many would simply throw the worthless driver out.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Wonder if it has permanence?
    From experience. It does.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

danilo Guest

Worth remembering knowledge then.. thank you

I'm Christian.

Hi walpurgis, I know this is incredibly unlikely but you don't have the images related to your voice coil rub fix. I'm quite a visual learner and would love to have a go at applying the fix to my audax hd 20 b 25 j woofers

I'm Geoff.

I'm afraid not Christian, they are long gone since Photobucket decided to scrap their Tinypic free image site. I may add new photos sometime.

The description in the text is easy enough to follow though, just hold a driver and visualise what I've described, you'll get the idea.

I'm Christian.

I thought it was certainly worth a try I'm going to give your method a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll be able to listen to these stag audio speakers as a pair finally! Thanks a lot.

I'm Geoff.

Let me know how you get on.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Let me know how you get on.
    Shame he didn't
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast