+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linn – are they an irrelevance today?

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Frost View Post
    Of course Linn is less relevant to audiophiles, but IMO audiophiles are less relevant to Linn too.

Regards
    This is a most interesting (for me at least) inversion.

In retrospect. I would have been more sensible to have posed the original question as "Are Linn's historic customer base largely irrelevant to Linn?"

Thank you for catalysing an alternative and I believe superior approach. I'm currently rethinking the phraseology of my next question to the forum sometime next week. Sincerely, HP
    Well, hello.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Howard,

I agree, and think Chris has made an excellent point. We look forward to your next discussion topic with interest!

Meanwhile, have you seen the link to your website in our Links Box below?

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...?p=123#post123

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

Thank you for the link. Much appreciated, and not taken for granted. Not even a little bit. Sincerely, HP.
    Well, hello.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I agree that Linn have found new markets as they've lost their old customers by and large, they've had to to survive and as long as the custom install and multi-room market doesn't dry up, they'll fulfil the "top end B&O" role admirably. And don't knock B&O either, as they've genuinely been a good influence over the decades, well away from "top end" influences and their top model active speakers (weird looking things) are truly innovative and very good if listened to with an open mind I understand.

Yep, I agree.

Is that a Marantz CDP of some description in your avatar?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yep, I agree.

Is that a Marantz CDP of some description in your avatar?

Marco.
    Once I can get on my office PC I'll shrink it down..

It's a Micro Seiki CDM-2 from ther late eighties, based on a Marantz chassis, but with a trick or two up its sleeve. Re-clocked and used from its balanced outputs (even into phono plugs), it still sounds really good to me and I reckon I'd have to spend a lot of dosh to replace it (don't tell me, a Cambridge 840 will annihilate it )

No chance. You're in good company here!

I bet you it is bloody brilliant, mate. I thought it looked a bit like a CD12. Classic CDPs rule! I use a modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 combo (yes the DAS-R1 DAC uses Philips TDA 1541 single crowns ) and I haven't heard a modern CDP yet at any price that outperforms it!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    ...(don't tell me, a Cambridge 840 will annihilate it )
    LOL! Errrr, no.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Once I can get on my office PC I'll shrink it down..
    There's really no need as yet for such things. Main images, as opposed to avatars are hosted by third parties so I don't think there will be a bandwidth problem. If such an issue does crop up at a later date I'll deal with it then.

We like big bold images at the Art of Sound as long as they fit within a normal sized screen without the need for scrolling vertically and/or horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I agree that Linn have found new markets as they've lost their old customers by and large, they've had to to survive and as long as the custom install and multi-room market doesn't dry up, they'll fulfil the "top end B&O" role admirably. And don't knock B&O either, as they've genuinely been a good influence over the decades, well away from "top end" influences and their top model active speakers (weird looking things) are truly innovative and very good if listened to with an open mind I understand.
    I agree, particularly with your point about B&O. Everyone (people like us) slags them off but they actually make some incredibly high quality and good sounding equipment these days. They went through a dodgy patch in the 90s, but some of the gear they made in the 70s, for example, was innovative, especially in terms of design, and had top-notch sound quality, too. It was a truly high-end brand in those days and only the most affluent of people could afford their products.

I would say B&O were more genuinely 'high-end' in their golden era than Linn are now in the current marketplace.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast