+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powering CNC Phonostage

I'm Mark.

Default Powering CNC Phonostage

Hi, I have come across an article explaining how to power this phonostage using a WRD121212YS -2W DC/DC converter
    https://www.muffsy.com/power-wiring.html
    Could anyone advise if this method gives good results as it would be far easier and cheaper than building a 'proper' PSU.
    Thanks, Mark

danilo Guest

Batteries give V clean power.
    Don't dismiss them lightly.
    On the other hand a Phono with Opamps isn't something that would create massive expectations TBH.. Or something I would pay $$ for.

I'm Mark.

Thanks Danilo, I have been using batteries with good results but find they only last about 10 hours and tend to expire at inconvenient times ...... Was Looking for a lazy solution ......

I'm malcolm.

I use a couple of 7AH lead acid batteries - seem to last forever between charges.
    Audiophile Tosher

RothwellAudio Guest

It looks like it should be ok, though I have no experience of that chip. What will really matter is the exact wiring scheme - how you define the 0 volt point and what filtering you use. Large reservoir capacitors might seem like a good idea but could be a difficult load for the chip, so getting the details right is what counts. Check the manufacturer's data sheet. BTW, there are lots of similar chips available that will do a similar job. Look for DC-DC converters. Of course, you would still need to feed DC into it.
    A simpler alternative would be to get 12V power supplies - the "wall wart" type would be fine - and wire their outputs in series to give you +/-12V. It means having two power supplies plugged into the mains but it's probably the simplest and cheapest option you have (if cheap/simple is what you're looking for).

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    It looks like it should be ok, though I have no experience of that chip. What will really matter is the exact wiring scheme - how you define the 0 volt point and what filtering you use. Large reservoir capacitors might seem like a good idea but could be a difficult load for the chip, so getting the details right is what counts. Check the manufacturer's data sheet. BTW, there are lots of similar chips available that will do a similar job. Look for DC-DC converters. Of course, you would still need to feed DC into it.
    A simpler alternative would be to get 12V power supplies - the "wall wart" type would be fine - and wire their outputs in series to give you +/-12V. It means having two power supplies plugged into the mains but it's probably the simplest and cheapest option you have (if cheap/simple is what you're looking for).
    Thanks - I was led to believe that wall-warts would give inferior results as they are 'dirty' supplies compared to batteries or properly constructed power supplies, also I'm not sure whether even 2 identical ones would give closely matching outputs (and whether that matters or not). As you can see I'm a bit out of my depth but would be grateful for any further comments.

Oh, and yes I am looking for cheap and simple but without too much of a reduction from the quality I would get from batteries.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    I use a couple of 7AH lead acid batteries - seem to last forever between charges.
    Thanks Malcom, I'll have a look at them.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    Thanks - I was led to believe that wall-warts would give inferior results as they are 'dirty' supplies compared to batteries or properly constructed power supplies, also I'm not sure whether even 2 identical ones would give closely matching outputs (and whether that matters or not). As you can see I'm a bit out of my depth but would be grateful for any further comments.

Oh, and yes I am looking for cheap and simple but without too much of a reduction from the quality I would get from batteries.
    Most modern "wall warts" are switch-mode power supplies and use the same kind of of techniques and technology as the DC-DC converter chip you linked to. The chip and the wall wart will probably be about as dirty as each other - not much to choose between the two - but the noise is high frequency and easy enough to filter out.

I'm Mark.

Good news ! Thanks Andrew.

+ Reply to Thread