+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chord signature jumpers

I'm Dave.

There is a tiny difference and I'll be pleased to show you when you bring DSJR with you...

As to bi-wiring - some time back Revel/Harman/JBL did a lot of work and published their findings about bi-wire V single wire. They listened via a panel of 'golden ears' and measured the same speakers single or bi-wired. Everything remained identical apart from the Bi or single wiring. Their findings were that bi-wire sounds inferior, all else being equal. They abandoned bi-wiring from then on and many manufacturers have since followed.

About time too. IMO.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

PMC's will need the heaviest duty speaker cables you can find - Hamish, did you guys chuck all the Cable-talk wires out when they went under? The green pipe-like Concert wires sounded fantastic with PMC's, the decent copper stranding adding no hash to the treble and the heavier gauge keeping the bass under better control - no foo, just heavy duty decent copper and insulation that doesn't react with the strands inside. Many dealers ignored it 'cos it's a thick green pipe from the outside, but Sevenoaks Guildford (one of the few branches that listened) and Noteworthy in Aylesbury liked it and sold plenty..

I'd probably suggest connecting to the bass unit first, but others with different systems will certainly disagree...
    Last edited by DSJR; 11-01-2010 at 11:03.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Why not bi-wire the 'speakers properly and forget the jumpers?
    because its too expensive to double up on my speaker cable [a/p big silver oval] and i am not convinced thats its any better than jumpers.

i have also found that there is a big difference n imaging connecting the ap plus to the HF and negative to the LF
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    PMC's will need the heaviest duty speaker cables you can find - Hamish, did you guys chuck all the Cable-talk wires out when they went under? The green pipe-like Concert wires sounded fantastic with PMC's, the decent copper stranding adding no hash to the treble and the heavier gauge keeping the bass under better control - no foo, just heavy duty decent copper and insulation that doesn't react with the strands inside. Many dealers ignored it 'cos it's a thick green pipe from the outside, but Sevenoaks Guildford (one of the few branches that listened) and Noteworthy in Aylesbury liked it and sold plenty..

I'd probably suggest connecting to the bass unit first, but others with different systems will certainly disagree...
    I currently use nva ls1, which wa somewhat of a revalation within my naim system. It has 7 cores of copper, I had thought about upgrading to ls5 at some point (21 cores) but it is slightly expensive so I don't want to buy anything until I have a definate length... If anyone else has any other suggestions I will happily investigate, this forums recent hit rate for improvments to my system is very high
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

I don't see how anything can be better than either the same wire as is used for speaker cables or for the speakers own internal wiring. And for preference they should be the same as each other too, no?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I don't see how anything can be better than either the same wire as is used for speaker cables or for the speakers own internal wiring. And for preference they should be the same as each other too, no?
    You'd have a fright if you saw the crap that goes inside the majority of speakers - you really wouldn't use it for speaker cable.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You'd have a fright if you saw the crap that goes inside the majority of speakers - you really wouldn't use it for speaker cable.
    Like what's in here you mean...

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

I have always wondered about that, this guy came in the shop who had previously bought a pair of monitor audio b2's
    he had done a very fine job of re wiring the insides ... Unfortunatly he had by passed the crossover and just wires the to drivers in series to the in side of the terminals! He actually did a neat job of the soldering!
    the same guy did do a few other crazys whilst being a customer of ours:
    acused us of taking the piss out of him when he found "rabbit bedding stapled to the inside" of his speakers
    paired the cones of his b2's gold because "that's the difference between the bronze and gold range"
    took all the cones out of a pair of revolvers and "lined them up on the floor a a centre speaker"
    we eventually parted company with him as a customer after we had to call the police to remove him from the shop after an arguament about the merits of hdmi over componant conectivity
    despite all this the very neat job of replacing the thin wire in his b2's (all be it incorrectly) as I said, dis get me thinking...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I've seen plenty of it.
    And had plenty frights!

But, I've rewired one or two pairs of speakers too!
    I liked Steen Doessing's philosophy the best - I never had to rewire any of his speakers & it was easy to get matching external cables!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Surely the easiest option is just to use a bit of the same wire you are using for the speaker cable -well, what I do, anyway, my theory being that you want the same cable feeding the HF and LF?
    I agree with Alex here...mostly.

When I regularly used bi-wire speakers (Ruark Equinox's) I used jumpers made from QED Genesis cable, the same as my main speaker cable at the time. This was much better than the Ruark wire ones. My Ref3A Dulcets are a bit different though...they come with Cardas high purity copper jumpers, and, well they sound best in, rather than replaced with cable jumpers...probably just my set up though.

However I would normally recommend jumpers made out of the same cable...imho not all speakers need or sound good bi-wired (thats a bit of a marketing thing imho)..bi-amped though is a different thing altogether.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 11-01-2010 at 21:59.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast